Charlotte development thread

Im thinking a neighborhood like madison park.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/09/crow-holdings-development-industrial-belmont-cre.html

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/lake-norman/article269493107.html

Wut?

It was always intended to be an outdoor mall and town center type development lol.

4 Likes

Lol how is it controversial

1 Like

Not quite on topic, but close enough:

The Business Journals: Zillow picks Charlotte housing market as nation’s hottest in 2023.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/12/zillow-housing-market-hottest-2023-residential.html

I live in Huntersville and I’m somewhat involved with the new projects in town. Literally every project that comes to the table has some type of opposition to it. The opposition will come up with many reasons as to why they oppose it, but ultimately traffic is almost always the real reason why they oppose it.

I get it. I don’t like traffic either. But I also realize where I chose to live, in a community/town right beside one the top 20 largest cities in the US. As long as Charlotte continues to grow so will Huntersville. I honestly feel some of the residents are completely delusional. The way they describe how they want to protect their rural setting you would think they were talking about Montana or Wyoming.

Specifically in regards to the Birkdale project, I can see both sides of the argument. Yes, it was designed as town center or urban center plan. But the residents feel it’s more like Cape Cod (village) culture than it is a Boston (city) culture, especially in regards to architecture. Think more cedar shingles and clapboard siding. The proposed hotel is going to be a typical steel and glass highrise. I think where the developer really messed up was with going too big and too quick. The current town zoning only allows for a hotel to be roughly 4 stories tall. The developers proposal allowed for a potential 15 stories hotel.

I agree with you Normmm. I live in a decent mix by being in Fairview near Asheville. When I get tired of growing traffic and crowding I’ll move back to Pilot Mtn and not bitch about it

2 Likes

The traffic issue is hitting every surrounding county. Belmont just passed a zoning requirement to push all apartments to the 74 corridor close to the eventual light rail line and away from down town and residential areas and are trying to block 3 large developments to force changes to larger lots to bring down traffic concerns.

The crazy thing is the state won’t help with roads and schools until well after the roads are overly congested and the schools are busting at the seams.

Yeah, a completely nonsensical statement. NIMBY.

1 Like

Karen GIF by moodman

TIA’s are a joke. I have not seen a single project in Huntersville where the TIA comes back saying that major road infrastructure has to be changed.

A TIA is most effective, IMO, when the municipality/county, as it may be, performs the analysis independently of the developer. This may be done in-house or via the services of a reputable consultant.

2 Likes

Raised in Pinnacle and attended South Stokes. My cousins and Uncles all attended East Surry. Cheers!

Ha! I probably know them. I was back home this weekend for my old basketball coach’s memorial service.

GO SAURAS! I heard it’s snowing in Pinnacle this morning :rofl:

Yes, one would hope that would always be the case. Even with that being the case, my point was that I still haven’t seen where a TIA comes back and says “that’s too much traffic, this project shouldn’t carry on”. They’ll usually add a new turn lane, a new stop light, change the speed limit, etc. But almost never stop a project from proceeding.

2 Likes

Yes, you are spot on. I don’t think a TIA ever stops a project, either.

Are you all under the impression that because the PE sealing the work that the developer pays for, him or her is not being honest in his or her work?? You realize these municipalities review and approve the TIAs before getting to a public vote, right?

1 Like

I am not. That’s why I said “one would hope that would always be the case”. I was responding to NWA’s comment about how the state won’t help with roads until much later after a project is complete.
Rtown sounds as if he may be insinuating at that though.