Charlotte development thread

Eh they get you one way or another anyway. No income tax in texas, but their property taxes are very high.

I like that model because I’d prefer what I pay in state income tax to the city of Charlotte over a state entity.

1 Like

This gets buried? We are concerned about 77, but not this? Who is running this sChity?

Is that on the buses or at the transit center? The transit center is the only place uptown I steer clear of.

1 Like

Sounds like it. This entire city is riddled with crime. Red lights mean accelerate blindly it seems. If they would ask the buss driver who has the drugs at the bus center, that would be too easy

As someone that is uptown regularly, I don’t know how you state the entire city is riddled with crime. I recently walked from uptown way down into south end and back into uptown between the hours of 7pm and 1AM and encountered nothing but nice people and not once did I feel any sense of danger. I am sure there is some crime as any major city has to deal with, but I feel way less safe walking in downtown Gastonia than I do in uptown, south end NoDa or other parts of the city.

4 Likes

Last time I picked up my wife from downtown for lunch, we saw a guy beating off at tryin and 8th. Last time I was there at night going to a snow walking down tryin street, I got threatened by a bum because I only gave him 3 bucks. I wasn’t worried, because I can outrun most dudes in wheel chairs. Last time the kids and me picked up my wife for dinner, there was a shootout on or near Tryin street near ninth. I could keep going, but why do you avoid the bus station?

Maybe they all just detect your magnetic positive attitude and gravitate towards you.

Maybe they afraid of wupass

Entirely possible.

Big city’s have crime. You have to keep to areas that you belong in and keep your wits about you. Charlotte is no different than any other big city.

Better than some, worse than others.

I hope and pray we move in the right direction in the future.

3 Likes

Crime in Charlotte is trending in the wrong direction and I have little confidence in the the people that run the city or the county to do much about it. Sure, there are still nice parts of town and good people but the treat of harm makes one question where you are located.

1 Like

Doing the same everywhere unfortunately.

1 Like

Growing chities like Charlotte like to prop crime rates instead of crime numbers. For example, homicide numbers can be up, but the homicide rate will go down with outsiders moving here in mass.

Wonder if this supersedes HOA rules that don’t allow them or if this only applies in areas without neighborhood restrictions on that type of housing.

Sounds like a great way to ruin some old charlotte neighborhoods.

5 Likes

Parking always seems to be an issue with these types of changes too. Do builders have to have on property parking? Or where on street parking is allowed they don’t have to?

Parking downtown and widening feeder roads in the burbs. Don’t ride with me anywhere in a car if you don’t wanna hear me fume over how they keep building multifamily housing or huge SF neighborhoods and they don’t bother adding lanes to the feeder roads in the suburbs.

Makes it take a minimum of 20 minutes to get anywhere in town. Minimum. It’s absurd.

All developers should have to pay for all infrastructure improvements necessary to support their projects, including expanded secondary roadways.

2 Likes

A lot of those old neighborhoods had duplexes and triplexes.

Since these were no longer allowed, people just tore them down and built townhomes or McMansions.

I don’t think it’ll really make much difference in the end. Those little houses in desirable neighborhoods are going to get razed eventually because money always wins out in the end.

1 Like