Charlotte Hornets šŸ

I still have a Jamal Mashburn Hornets jersey that I wear all the time inthe summer.

I still have some replica shorts that Iā€™ll probably never throw away.

I loved the Hornetsā€¦the first time I voted was for the uptown arena to keep them in Charlotte. During my 2nd semester freshmen year and wrote a 20 page paper outlining why Charlotte is a better fit for the Hornets than New Orleans.

I really believe the Hornets would still be here if Roy Woolridge never joined the bunch. That partnership combined with the conduct of several players as well as the owner( Shinns affair with the honeybee, Mason getting in fights, Recasner and Coleman in teh drunk driving accident, Bobby Phills tragic death and the subsequent prosecution of David Wesley, etc) really led to the Hornets downfall in Charlotte.

Also, I wonder what wouldve happened had we beaten Milwaukee in the playoffs that year. The city really jumped on the bangwagon and The Hive was electricā€¦good times.

I dont know if the city will ever truly accept the Bobcats. The Hornets were that baby of the city, the first pro sports team. The hive held attendance records for like 8 seasons straight, then we get an NFL team, the players start getting in trouble, Charlotte continued to grow and the fans had other things to do than go to the Coliseumā€¦

Now we get a team again, and the self rightious owner starts by naming the team after himself rather than choosing something relevant to the area (Hornets named for our District)ā€¦The Bobcats is an awful name. Theyā€™re slightly more threatening an aggressive house cat. I preferred the Charlotte Flight.

You can look back at the last few years and now to the present and there doesnt appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel. The managing partners dont live and Charlotte and are never at the games (MJ was nice enough to grace the crowd with his presence courtside for 1 half during the final home game, thanks Mike)ā€¦They cant evaluate talent for sh*t, probably because none of the staff is qualified for the position their inā€¦they just happen to be friends with his Airness.

They hired a guy who cant coach or even motivate his lackluster squad to play hard.

Now Bob is bitchin because the local businesses are contributing to the teamā€¦HAā€¦

Unfortunately, I think were stuck with this backwards ass franchise because of the arena dealā€¦unless there is a major face lift where they fire Vincent, his staff, get rid of Morrison, May, Felton and most of their bench I donā€™t see this team ever being more the perenial sub .500 teamā€¦

This city should be kicking itself for letting the bugs go

this team is only 4 years old, that is way too early to give up on a entire franchise. some new franchises donā€™t sniff a above .500 season for the first 20 years i.e. the Seattle Mariners

this team is only 4 years old, that is way too early to give up on a entire franchise. some new franchises don't sniff a above .500 season for the first 20 years i.e. the Seattle Mariners

And I probably wouldnt care if they sucked foreverā€¦Im getting soured on Bob Johnson, MJ and the coaching staff.

I went to nearly every game last year and the year beforeā€¦and didnt care that they sucked, the looked up and comingā€¦now they look flat and pathetic and the owner is pointing the fingers at the city instead of taking some ownership in his awful productā€¦I guess weā€™ll see what happensā€¦this team doesnt have an LJ and Alonzo, so i dont see the playoffs in year 5 either

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;316388]Haha Pat McCrory, ā€œSir, youā€™re scaring the boy scouts.ā€[/QUOTE]

Hope he slides that line into his campaign, ā€œThe state of neglect to the western part of the state is inexcusable, and frankly, itā€™s scaring the boy scouts.ā€

this team is only 4 years old, that is way too early to give up on a entire franchise. some new franchises don't sniff a above .500 season for the first 20 years i.e. the Seattle Mariners

you donā€™t get it

no local owner = no support in CLT

its more than wins and losses

the Hornets sucked many years and still were supported well, it wasnā€™t until the threats and Shinnridgeā€™s end game did the support taper.

also the name BOBCATS is the goshdarn stupidest name in sports history, and people despise the environment at the game

[QUOTE=The Dude;316434]Iand the self rightious owner starts by naming the team after himself rather than choosing something relevant to the area (Hornets named for our District)ā€¦The Bobcats is an awful name. Theyā€™re slightly more threatening an aggressive house cat. I preferred the Charlotte Flight.

[/QUOTE]

Whoever dropped the ball (the city, the NBA, new team owners, etc.), the ā€œHornet NBA identityā€ should have never left town.

The identity simply had too much connection to the city of Charlotte.

With that said, the name Bobcats does have a connection to the state of North Carolina.

The Bobcat animal is the most common wild cat in the state of North Carolina.

Does this make the name better than Hornets? Of course not. But to say Bobcats is not relevant to the area is also inaccurate.

Not saying its right, but unless someone in town has a blank check to give George Shinn, I donā€™t see the name ever returning. If someone does have that kind of money to throw around, I would much prefer that the money go towards Charlotte 49ers football.

If someone does have that kind of money to throw around, I would much prefer that the money go towards Charlotte 49ers football.

I definitely agree with that statement.

[QUOTE=metro;316444]

its more than wins and losses[/QUOTE]

agree. it is more than wins and losses. But I donā€™t see Bob selling anytime in the immediate future or spending much more time in CLT.

If he wants to achieve his expectations, HE DOES NEED to create some kind of leadership identity that has a local connection. Is Jordan, Dell Curry, Muggsy Bogues??? hell, I donā€™t know. But someone identifiable to the local business community needs to assume that role.

you don't get it

its more than wins and losses

the Hornets sucked many years and still were supported well, it wasnā€™t until the threats and Shinnridgeā€™s end game did the support taper.
[SIZE=4]
also the name BOBCATS is the goshdarn stupidest name in sports history,[/SIZE] and people despise the environment at the game

9/10ā€¦ would have been a 10 if you hadnā€™t said goshdarn. (whistles Mayberry theme)

Whoever dropped the ball (the city, the NBA, new team owners, etc.), the "Hornet NBA identity" should have never left town.

With that said, the name Bobcats does have a connection to the state of North Carolina.

Does this make the name better than Hornets? Of course not. But to say Bobcats is not relevant to the area is also inaccurate.

Not saying its right, but unless someone in town has a blank check to give George Shinn, I donā€™t see the name ever returning. If someone does have that kind of money to throw around, I would much prefer that the money go towards Charlotte 49ers football.

Bobcats would be fineā€¦if the ownerā€™s name is not Bobā€¦it was egotistical

9/10... would have been a 10 if you hadn't said goshdarn. (whistles Mayberry theme)
what can I say....I don't like the GD word

The original Charlotte Hornets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Hornets_(baseball)

The Charlotte Hornets, part deux

http://www.charlottehornetswfl.com/

1988 NBA logo

1989 and following NBA logo

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;316451]The original Charlotte Hornets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Hornets_(baseball)

The Charlotte Hornets, part deux

http://www.charlottehornetswfl.com/

1988 NBA logo

1989 and following NBA logo

[/QUOTE]
When the hell was that first logo used? I think I remember the hornet part of it being on the shorts, but thatā€™s it. My dad said he doesntā€™ remember than 1988 logo either.

Either way, itā€™s better than what theyā€™ve got now. What did they do to Hugo???

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;316452]When the hell was that first logo used? I think I remember the hornet part of it being on the shorts, but thatā€™s it. My dad said he doesntā€™ remember than 1988 logo either.

Either way, itā€™s better than what theyā€™ve got now. What did they do to Hugo???
[/QUOTE]

I have very faint memories of it. but I found it here.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/charhorn/charhornets.html

That thing they have now is painful to look at and rather sad, when I consider how classic was the Hugo I remember

I agree about the bobcats, even if it does have a local connection it sounds like a high school team. (I think half the HS in this state have the wildcat mascot). Heck iā€™d go for the charlotte cooters above the bobcats (Cooter being a eastern NC nickname for a snapping turtle, I swear).

When the hell was that first logo used? I think I remember the hornet part of it being on the shorts, but that's it. My dad said he doesnt' remember than 1988 logo either.

I thinkā€¦the original Hornets logo shown was the baseball team at Crocket Park in Dilworth

I agree about the bobcats, even if it does have a local connection it sounds like a high school team. (I think half the HS in this state have the wildcat mascot). Heck i'd go for the charlotte cooters above the bobcats (Cooter being a eastern NC nickname for a snapping turtle, I swear).

Hello maā€™amā€¦ thatā€™s a nice cooter you have thereā€¦

Whoever dropped the ball (the city, the NBA, new team owners, etc.), the "Hornet NBA identity" should have never left town.

Pretty sure it is the only one, outside of maybe 3 mountain lions that may wander the appallachian ridge out of Florida. Hopefully weā€™re not counting the vicious beasts that live behind Cone.

agree. it is more than wins and losses. But I don't see Bob selling anytime in the immediate future or spending much more time in CLT.

If he wants to achieve his expectations, HE DOES NEED to create some kind of leadership identity that has a local connection. Is Jordan, Dell Curry, Muggsy Bogues??? hell, I donā€™t know. But someone identifiable to the local business community needs to assume that role.

Jordan does fine for notoriety and National appeal, but I agree a Bogues, or Curry would do more for local support from businesses and the community. I donā€™t mind the Bobcats games, they can be fun, but it just feels weird. I always followed the Hornets (I lived in VA while they were here), so I guess like no matter what Iā€™m constantly watching replacements out there and not a team that belongs here.

Shinn would probably be a dick about giving back the Hornet name.

[QUOTE=metro;316397]I canā€™t watch that council vid one more time, otherwise Iā€™ll have permanent hiccups from laughing so hard[/QUOTE]

Thereā€™s one day I watched it like 10 times straight, and laughed harder time after time. It never gets old, if I click that link Iā€™ll be spending another hour watching it over and over. Great Humour.