Charlotte Magazine article on What Happened to UNCC (??) Basketball

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438488]Name recognition is important, but let’s not be disingenuous and pick two of the least recognizable A10 programs for the comparison.[/QUOTE]

OK, well my point was there is no one without solid name recognition in the Big East, while there are multiple in the A10 (Duq, Fordham, St. Bonnies, Lasalle) …I’m just amazed at how many people claim that doesn’t effect us. (does it do much good to complain about it?) no,but that doesn’t mean we should deny it either.

DePaul, South Florida.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438488]Name recognition is important, but let’s not be disingenuous and pick two of the least recognizable A10 programs for the comparison.[/QUOTE]

True, but comparing X and Dayton to UCONN or Pitt gets the same result.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438491]DePaul, South Florida.[/QUOTE]

You think those are no-names, especially compared to the ones in the A-10? I WISH Depaul and USF were still our “no-name” conference mates…

[QUOTE=919R;438495]You think those are no-names, especially compared to the ones in the A-10? I WISH Depaul and USF were still our “no-name” conference mates…[/QUOTE]

In basketball? Yeah, I think they are no names. But the no-names aren’t what hurts you in a conference.

I have to be honest I think name recognition is a major concern-
“oh NC State who are you playing this year?” Duke, Chapel Hill, Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, etc.
“oh Charlotte who are you playing this year?” Fordham, Richmond, La Salle, St. Bonnies, St. Louis, etc.

we can take care of some of this with non-conf. scheduling, but you have to realize that one or two games against “names” versus an entire schedule against “names” is detrimental to recruiting and, to some degree, your preparedness for post-season play. Even more important is the coverage of the team that comes with playing “names”- even if we played and lost to Chapel Hill every year it would benefit us just due to the decent exposure that somebody would give us- plus the ability to say to a recruit “Remember that team that said you weren’t good enough for them. You’re going to get to play them and you’re going to have the chance to prove them wrong.”

[QUOTE=NewNiner;438500]I have to be honest I think name recognition is a major concern-
“oh NC State who are you playing this year?” Duke, Chapel Hill, Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, etc.
“oh Charlotte who are you playing this year?” Fordham, Richmond, La Salle, St. Bonnies, St. Louis, etc.

we can take care of some of this with non-conf. scheduling, but you have to realize that one or two games against “names” versus an entire schedule against “names” is detrimental to recruiting and, to some degree, your preparedness for post-season play. Even more important is the coverage of the team that comes with playing “names”- even if we played and lost to Chapel Hill every year it would benefit us just due to the decent exposure that somebody would give us- plus the ability to say to a recruit “Remember that team that said you weren’t good enough for them. You’re going to get to play them and you’re going to have the chance to prove them wrong.”[/QUOTE]

I don’t disagree that name recognition hurts, but again, it’s not the worst teams that hurt us, it’s that the best teams we play aren’t as recognized as the best teams in BCS conferences.

Playing mediocre teams doesn’t hurt us. Losing to them is what hurts us.

[QUOTE=gamer;438506]Playing mediocre teams doesn’t hurt us. Losing to them is what hurts us.[/QUOTE]

Good Point

[QUOTE=gamer;438506]Playing mediocre teams doesn’t hurt us. Losing to them is what hurts us.[/QUOTE]

Gamer with the truth.

[QUOTE=bball49er;438462]You don’t need ACC talent to have a decent year in the A-10.[/QUOTE]

Across the board, no you don’t. But to compete for the top of the league, to have 2 or 3 guys who can more than hold their own at that level is a big help. Xavier has had guys every year who could play for 3/4 the teams in the ACC.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;438520]Across the board, no you don’t. But to compete for the top of the league, to have 2 or 3 guys who can more than hold their own at that level is a big help. Xavier has had guys every year who could play for 3/4 the teams in the ACC.[/QUOTE]

I’d say that Xavier has guys that could play at any ACC school every year. They have performed as well as any of the teams in that conference save 2. And recently, I wouldn’t say that Duke has really outperformed them.

Actually (while I agree with this in general) this isn’t entirely true. Playing mediocre teams DOES hurt us (vs. playing big-name teams) in some ways.

One Example: It doesn’t helpt to bring out the casual fans like big-name teams do. This means smaller crowds. Smaller crowds usually mean less noise/excitement which CAN translate directly to improved/more inspired play by the home team. See Clemson game vs. UNCA games at Halton.

[QUOTE=VA49er;438492]True, but comparing X and Dayton to UCONN or Pitt gets the same result.[/QUOTE]

Does it really? Not so sure. We have no history with UConn or Pitt at all, and until the last few years, Pitt was as obscure as Duquesne has been (and in the same city). In fact Duquesne was the better program.

We could argue about this school vs that one for ages. A league is defined by its flagship schools (look no further than the ACC). Xavier, Dayton, Temple are not too shabby a group, especially recently. Instead of nitpicking between those 3 and whichever other conference, how about if we finally do something to be another standard bearer like we were supposed to be?

Yeah. But we did that in CUSA too. ECU anyone? USF? Houston? TCU? Tulane?

And it doesnt matter what conference you’re in if you lose to fuggin Monmouth!

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438526]Does it really? Not so sure. We have no history with UConn or Pitt at all, and until the last few years, Pitt was as obscure as Duquesne has been (and in the same city). In fact Duquesne was the better program.

We could argue about this school vs that one for ages. A league is defined by its flagship schools (look no further than the ACC). Xavier, Dayton, Temple are not too shabby a group, especially recently. [B]Instead of nitpicking between those 3 and whichever other conference, how about if we finally do something to be another standard bearer like we were supposed to be[/B]?[/QUOTE]

no way can I agree with the Pitt argument----they were still a much bigger name/draw 5 years ago than Duquesne is/was.

As for your last paragraph, I’m not arguing with this, but again this doesn’t mean certain factors aren’t working against us—nothing wrong with recognizing that. If anything, we should use it as motivation.

[QUOTE=919R;438524]One Example: It doesn’t helpt to bring out the casual fans like big-name teams do. This means smaller crowds. Smaller crowds usually mean less noise/excitement which CAN translate directly to improved/more inspired play by the home team. See [B]Clemson game vs. UNCA games at Halton[/B].[/QUOTE]

Can you just stop making such invalid comparisons? It’s undermining your point.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438527]Yeah. But we did that in CUSA too. ECU anyone? USF? Houston? TCU? Tulane?

And it doesnt matter what conference you’re in if you lose to fuggin Monmouth![/QUOTE]

We very rarely lost to any of these teams during our CUSA years. You never win every game against a conf. foe.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438530]Can you just stop making such invalid comparisons? It’s undermining your point.[/QUOTE]

What is invalid about it? The point is the opponents you play have an impact on your program!

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438527]Yeah. But we did that in CUSA too. ECU anyone? USF? Houston? TCU? Tulane?

And it doesnt matter what conference you’re in if you lose to fuggin Monmouth![/QUOTE]

We lost to ECU once, at their place and it was a fluke. We also were nastifiying that year.

USF was a decent team when we lost to them. Houston is a historically solid program.

TCU and Tulane are bad losses anyway you dice it.