Charlotte Magazine article on What Happened to UNCC (??) Basketball

[QUOTE=919R;438534]What is invalid about it? The point is the opponents you play have an impact on your program![/QUOTE]

ā€¦because UNCA is in our conferenceā€¦

Look, Iā€™ll just stop there. Your point is valid to an extent, but your arguments in support of it are riddled with bad logic, overly selective comparisons, hyperbole, and invalid or unrelated comparisons.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438538]ā€¦because UNCA is in our conferenceā€¦

Look, Iā€™ll just stop there. Your point is valid to an extent, but your arguments in support of it are riddled with bad logic, overly selective comaprisons, hyperbole, and invalid or unrelated comparisons.[/QUOTE]

ā€¦some of the holier than thou attitudes on here amaze me. I really wish you would explain to a simpleton like me how my ā€œargumentsā€ are all of these things. The ONLY point I was making is that all opponents can impact your team/program in a positive or negative manner and that is relevant for non-conf and conf. opponents. Thats it. Sorry for expressing my opinion I didnā€™t mean to offend you.:huh:

Would someone go buy this magazine so we can hear the rest of this article? The website only provides full content to paid subscribers.:doh:

[QUOTE=919R;438484]Are u serious? Would you equate playing Duquesne and Fordham every year with playing UConn and Syracuse. Obviously, its about geography AND name recognition of opponents.[/QUOTE]
919R, I was trying to point out the contradiction in the argument that the A-10 is ā€œwrongā€ geographic footprint for the Niners when the Big East has virtually the same geo footprint. Of course I would love to play UConn, Syracuse, Nova, Pitt, UofL, etc. On the other hand, I can guarantee you that there would be a lot of empty seats in Halton for the likes of DePaul, St. Johnā€™s, Rutgers, Providence, and USF.

Basically, Iā€™m just tired of blaming our conference affiliation for our slide into mediocrity. We are where we are and while weā€™re here, we need to make the best of it. If and when something better comes along down the road, then thatā€™s great. Until then, we need to try to be one of the best in the A-10. Lamenting over the BE ā€œsnubā€ and ā€œrememberingā€ C-USA as more than what it was in reality is just a waste of time.

:49ers:

[QUOTE=run49er;438543]

Basically, Iā€™m just tired of blaming our conference affiliation for our slide into mediocrity. We are where we are and while weā€™re here, we need to make the best of it. If and when something better comes along down the road, then thatā€™s great. Until then, we need to try to be one of the best in the A-10. Lamenting over the BE ā€œsnubā€ and ā€œrememberingā€ C-USA as more than what it was in reality is just a waste of time.

:49ers:[/QUOTE]

But we also must acknowledge that the A-10 has hurt our recruiting efforts. The real reason we are in the A-10 is the same reason we were not seriously considered for the Big East, we donā€™t have FBS football. All of our sports ā€œproblemsā€ stem from a lack of a well-rounded athletics program. Now we are finally trying to fix that and have to come up with a way to get basketball back on track while building a from-scratch football program. Is Bobby the guy to do it? I sure hope so.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;438546]But we also must acknowledge that the A-10 has hurt our recruiting efforts. The real reason we are in the A-10 is the same reason we were not seriously considered for the Big East, we donā€™t have FBS football. All of our sports ā€œproblemsā€ stem from a lack of a well-rounded athletics program. Now we are finally trying to fix that and have to come up with a way to get basketball back on track while building a from-scratch football program. Is Bobby the guy to do it? I sure hope so.[/QUOTE]

This is my worry- that we finally get football and our basketball team isnā€™t good enough to bring anything to the table again

[QUOTE=run49er;438543]919R, I was trying to point out the contradiction in the argument that the A-10 is ā€œwrongā€ geographic footprint for the Niners when the Big East has virtually the same geo footprint. Of course I would love to play UConn, Syracuse, Nova, Pitt, UofL, etc. On the other hand, I can guarantee you that there would be a lot of empty seats in Halton for the likes of DePaul, St. Johnā€™s, Rutgers, Providence, and USF.

[B]Basically, Iā€™m just tired of blaming our conference affiliation for our slide into mediocrity. We are where we are and while weā€™re here, we need to make the best of it. If and when something better comes along down the road, then thatā€™s great. Until then, we need to try to be one of the best in the A-10. Lamenting over the BE ā€œsnubā€ and ā€œrememberingā€ C-USA as more than what it was in reality is just a waste of time.[/B]

I agree and I donā€™t typically complain about the A10 to anyoneā€”but when the subject is brought up (in person or on this board) by others who say it is invalid I like to post my opinion. Thats it. That why this board is here.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;438546]But we also must acknowledge that the A-10 has hurt our recruiting efforts. The real reason we are in the A-10 is the same reason we were not seriously considered for the Big East, we donā€™t have FBS football. All of our sports ā€œproblemsā€ stem from a lack of a well-rounded athletics program. Now we are finally trying to fix that and have to come up with a way to get basketball back on track while building a from-scratch football program. Is Bobby the guy to do it? I sure hope so.[/QUOTE]

DOBA. nice post.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;438546]But we also must acknowledge that the A-10 has hurt our recruiting efforts.[/QUOTE]
I realize I may be in a minority on this, but I wonā€™t acknowledge that. Just an excuse. Perhaps it hurt initially, but weā€™re now in our 5th season in the A-10 and that just doesnā€™t fly anymore. Time for Lutz to that violin away!

:violin:

[QUOTE=run49er;438563]I realize I may be in a minority on this, but I wonā€™t acknowledge that. Just an excuse. Perhaps it hurt initially, but weā€™re now in our 5th season in the A-10 and that just doesnā€™t fly anymore. Time for Lutz to that violin away!

:violin:[/QUOTE]

Youā€™re the man, Run.

But you know, they are going to say that our recruiting HAS improved. Iā€™ll believe it when I see the results on the court.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;438546]But we also must acknowledge that the A-10 has hurt our recruiting efforts. [/QUOTE]

No question moving to the A-10 hurt recruiting. But Lutz couldā€™ve mitigated much of that with a different approach/attitude towards the conference change.

I didnā€™t like the change, but considering the lack of football at Charlotte, there really was no other choice.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;438527]
And it doesnt matter what conference youā€™re in if you lose to fuggin Monmouth![/QUOTE]

Howā€™s that quote go again?

a) ā€œOur fans probably donā€™t realize how good Monmouth really isā€

b) ā€œMonmouth is much better than people think they areā€

The mention of Feb and Mar '05 tends to give me a down feeling.
What if the team had played in March like they did in February? What if we had won a couple or three games in the NCAA tourney? What everyone involved with the team had been focused on the future of Charlotte basketball rather than his/her own career?
Would our program have been in a differant situation now if we had not blown our opportunity in March '05?

[QUOTE=gamer;438590]The mention of Feb and Mar '05 tends to give me a down feeling.
What if the team had played in March like they did in February? What if we had won a couple or three games in the NCAA tourney? What everyone involved with the team had been focused on the future of Charlotte basketball rather than his/her own career?
Would our program have been in a differant situation now if we had not blown our opportunity in March '05?[/QUOTE]

:frowning:

[QUOTE=gamer;438590]
Would our program have been in a differant situation now if we had not blown our opportunity in March '05?[/QUOTE]

February 2005 - WOW, I never couldā€™ve imagined what the following 4 1/2 years had in store.

One ā€œabout damn timeā€ (football) and way too many ā€œaw ****ā€.

A nuanced position is possible. The move to the A10 hurt our recruiting initially compared to what it would have been in CUSA had the conference continued in its then form. Lutz did not do a good job adjusting, which set us back further, and made some mistakes in relying so heavily on jucos. Losing Moxley was not helpful either. Recruiting seems to be better, but letā€™s see how the players perform before deciding anything.

The A10 is the best possible conference we could be in right now, and is the best non-big 6 conference in b-ball. Even if you donā€™t believe that, there is still no reason we can not succeed in the A10. We faced much the same problems with ACC dominance, weak and far-flung in-conference competition, and crappy t.v. deals early on in CUSA, and we still did well. Also, if youā€™ve been following closely, Xavier is climbing towards similar heights to what Cincinnati did while in CUSA, Dayton and Temple are doing well, and all but two of the bottom teams are improving substantially, even the Bonnies. Xavier in particular looks like it will be a class team for many years to come (just look at their recent recruiting).

If the A10 would just wise up and find a way to dump Fordham, and GW and Charlotte get back to normal, this could become at least equal to CUSA in its best years, maybe better.

That article seems to switch between Charlotte and UNCC and UNC-Charlotte several times. Who proofreads this stuff? You do have to wonder if the author is trying to get a rise (a la Packer and co.). I wonder if the conclusion helps makes sense out of it.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438523]Iā€™d say that Xavier has guys that could play at any ACC school every year. They have performed as well as any of the teams in that conference save 2. And recently, I wouldnā€™t say that Duke has really outperformed them.[/QUOTE]

When I said ā€œplayā€ I meant legitimate minutes. Not seeing 10-12 a game max. Iā€™d say the onl place X has outperformed them is in the postseason. Duke just chokes in the tourney similar to how the Dolphins did yesterday against the Saintsā€¦

[QUOTE=run49er;438543]919R, I was trying to point out the contradiction in the argument that the A-10 is ā€œwrongā€ geographic footprint for the Niners when the Big East has virtually the same geo footprint. Of course I would love to play UConn, Syracuse, Nova, Pitt, UofL, etc. On the other hand, I can guarantee you that there would be a lot of empty seats in Halton for the likes of DePaul, St. Johnā€™s, Rutgers, Providence, and USF.

[QUOTE=run49er;438563]I realize I may be in a minority on this, but I wonā€™t acknowledge that. Just an excuse. Perhaps it hurt initially, but weā€™re now in our 5th season in the A-10 and that just doesnā€™t fly anymore. Time for Lutz to that violin away!

:violin:[/QUOTE]

Run is killing this thread!

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;438597]February 2005 - WOW, I never couldā€™ve imagined what the following 4 1/2 years had in store.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Maybe I was odd in this respect but the second I heard the announcement that we were leaving CUSA for the A-10 I said ā€œOH **** NO!ā€ The A-10 was really good that next year (believe it was St. Joeā€™s final four year). The last thing you want, even as a good team, is to move into a brand new conference with really good teams. You are bound to struggle learning new coaches and their teamsā€™ playing styles. Then the geography issue hit. Had this been a move from the A-10 to the BE it would have been the same footprint of recruiting, but moving from a southern conference to a northeastern one, plus being the southern most outpost, thatā€™s never going to go well right away.

Weā€™re heading into year 5 of the A-10 and from this point coach and his staff will no longer get the benefit of the doubt that the complete upheaval of the eastern seaboard that was the ACC Raid has provided. Theyā€™ve had time to get to know the recruiting area and the high schools, itā€™s time to be ā€œALL INā€.

[QUOTE=919R;438531]We very rarely lost to any of these teams during our CUSA years. You never win every game against a conf. foe.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. Hereā€™s some examples:

[B][U]1997-1998 bad losses[/U][/B]
App
Boston U
Western Michigan

[B][U]1998-1999[/U][/B]
Old Dominion
Kent State
Princeton

[B][U]1999-2000[/U][/B]
St. Bonaventure

[B][U]2000-2001[/U][/B]
St. Bonaventure
Pepperdine

[B][U]2001-2002[/U][/B]
Valparaiso

[B][U]2002-2003[/U][/B]
App
Richmond
Davidson
UL-Lafayette
Valparaiso

I didnā€™t include bad conference losses in our CUSA days. The difference then was that when we were in CUSA we could afford a couple of bad losses in non-conference because we could make those up in conference with big wins against [B][U]insert team here [/U][/B](Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Marquette, etc.) Harder to do that in the A-10.