Charlotte "the most disappointing team in the A10 last season"

I'll be the jerk who knocks his review. His comments about us being disappointing are spot on, but not knowing that Bowden didnt play and not bothering to mention Spears means he wrote the prediction based on reading a scouts or rivals summary.

If we finish 10th in the A10 next season, heads will roll. And before the anti-Bobby crowd gets riled up on my comment, Iā€™d bet heā€™d be the first person to react if that happens. Thereā€™s no way that will satisfy him or anyone else. I dunno what heā€™ll say publicly, but Iā€™m confident that he expects to be in the hunt (top 4 or 5) next year. Heā€™s reloaded his roster and filled in the gaps fairly well. No excuses now. We have to win some games.

No, I agree with you. Not only to not mention Bowdenā€™s injury; he also didnā€™t mention Gerrity, Wilderness or Dewhurst. Of course last year was a huge disappointment. But to not mention the other items is a huge oversight.

Then the scary part of an ā€œexpertsā€ prediction, is saying Braswell will contribute immediately. Maybe he will, maybe he wonā€™t. By my guess is the ā€œexpertā€ has never even seen Braswell play.

IMO, Spears will do much more this season to carry us than Braswell. Braswell will give us some needed size and rebounding, but I really think Spears will be our main threat in the post.

yeah I see what your saying, but Iā€™ve already put Spears as a lock for 10 and 8 at least gauranteed, if we are going to be good we need the other two to contribute significally. They are more of an unknown.

No, I agree with you. Not only to not mention Bowden's injury; he also didn't mention Gerrity, Wilderness or Dewhurst. Of course last year was a huge disappointment. But to mention the other items is a huge oversight.

Then the scary part of an ā€œexpertsā€ prediction, is saying Braswell will contribute immediately. Maybe he will, maybe he wonā€™t. By my guess is the ā€œexpertā€ has never even seen Braswell play.

Have to agree here, heā€™s far from being completely informed. It is almost as if he saw our record last year and just assumed we are a garbage team. Iā€™m writing a recap of last seasons woes and what there is to look forward to next season, as a result of this goonā€™s article.

Saw Spears in the summer league and watched him play a bunch at BC. He is not only a monster but he will be a 23 year old junior for us. At times he should dominate the next two years based on his physical and mental maturity. He has played a lot of basketball already at the highest levels and should out man some of these boys he plays against the next two years. Really excited about him despite his lack of height for his position.

Saw Spears in the summer league and watched him play a bunch at BC. He is not only a monster but he will be a 23 year old junior for us. At times he should dominate the next two years based on his physical and mental maturity. He has played a lot of basketball already at the highest levels and should out man some of these boys he plays against the next two years. Really excited about him despite his lack of height for his position.

Can he shoot? I hear alot about his tenacity in the paint, but havenā€™t heard anything about his jumper.

there is no reason with the talent we have that we cant win the a10, especially if derrick brown doesnt come back.
It's possible we'll win it, but I disagree with "there is no reason". There are plenty of possible reasons. We are relying heavily on guys with little or no D1 experience. We need several players to take a step up, even Spears needs to improve from his time at BC. And we are once again filling in for our top scorer. Who's going to fill that role? Will they be comfortable in that role, since Mack obviously wasn't for much of last season? I'm hoping for a more balanced offense this year, but maybe I should hope Spears can shoot the three consistently (in games). Our unproven talent is no better than several other teams' proven talents, and that's assuming we don't get hit with the usual injuries unique in D1 basketball. And will Lutz finally figure out how to beat a team like Richmond consistently? Way too many questions to predict a top finish without the green shades on. I think inconsistency likely leads to a finish somewhere between 5 - 9 in the conference, though I'd love to be proven wrong (in the correct direction).

Even if Derrick Brown is back at X, I would say Dayton is the favorite right now. X is talented and reloaded quickly under Miller, but new coaches rarely step in without any hiccups, even former assistants.

[QUOTE=9erken;409937]Itā€™s possible weā€™ll win it, but I disagree with ā€œthere is no reasonā€. There are plenty of possible reasons. We are relying heavily on guys with little or no D1 experience. We need several players to take a step up, even Spears needs to improve from his time at BC. And we are once again filling in for our top scorer. Whoā€™s going to fill that role? Will they be comfortable in that role, since Mack obviously wasnā€™t for much of last season? Iā€™m hoping for a more balanced offense this year, but maybe I should hope Spears can shoot the three consistently (in games). Our unproven talent is no better than several other teamsā€™ proven talents, and thatā€™s assuming we donā€™t get hit with the usual injuries unique in D1 basketball. And will Lutz finally figure out how to beat a team like Richmond consistently? Way too many questions to predict a top finish without the green shades on. I think inconsistency likely leads to a finish somewhere between 5 - 9 in the conference, though Iā€™d love to be proven wrong (in the correct direction).

Even if Derrick Brown is back at X, I would say Dayton is the favorite right now. X is talented and reloaded quickly under Miller, but new coaches rarely step in without any hiccups, even former assistants.[/QUOTE]

i didnt say winning the conference was going to be guaranteed but you have to understand that all of the things that you mentioned such as injuries can happen to anyone. i dont think replacing mack is going to be as hard as replacing lee although mack played great at the end of the season.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;409946]i didnt say winning the conference was going to be guaranteed but you have to understand that all of the things that you mentioned such as injuries can happen to anyone. i dont think replacing mack is going to be as hard as replacing lee although mack played great at the end of the season.[/QUOTE]

Letā€™s be real. Mack never played great. We never played great. Mack was solid at his best. We were a downright terrible team for a long time last year. We got close to mediocre. We were a borderline conference tournament team.

Yes, we had problems, but there is nothing to indicate that we would have challenged for the conference title if we had not had all those problems. We probably would have finished middle of the pack. We just arenā€™t on the level of a top or second rung team in this conference right now.

I hope we compete for the championship. I hope we win it. But people are talking about spears being a 10 and 8 guy and that being big numbers for us. 10 and 8? Really? If thatā€™s all we get out of him and heā€™s our stud, weā€™re gonna be in a lot of trouble again. We struggle on both sides of the ball, weā€™re sloppy.

There is no way in hell, though, that replacing mack will be as hard as lee. Mack was a servicable wing forward who was asked to do more than he could handle. I hope that the next guy we get in here can handle everything Lutz asks them to do.

Can he shoot? I hear alot about his tenacity in the paint, but haven't heard anything about his jumper.

He was hitting everything last summer in summer league. Turn-arounds, face-ups, treys, hitting them all.

He was [B]hitting everything[/B] last summer in summer league. Turn-arounds, face-ups, treys, hitting them all.
Yep. He hit [B][SIZE=3]EVERYTHING[/SIZE][/B]. My only concern is that the defense in the summer league is nowhere close to what he will face in a regular season game......... but I still think he's gonna be pretty damn good.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;409959]Yep. He hit [B][SIZE=3]EVERYTHING[/SIZE][/B]. My only concern is that the defense in the summer league is nowhere close to what he will face in a regular season gameā€¦ but I still think heā€™s gonna be pretty damn good.[/QUOTE]

actually, the defense in the summer league is probably better than a regular college game. you have got pros, college guys, former pros, all playing in the league. i was really suprised at how intense it was.

actually, the defense in the summer league is probably better than a regular college game. you have got pros, college guys, former pros, all playing in the league. i was really suprised at how intense it was.
I respectfully disagree. Sure, you have pros, etc............ but they're not that accustomed to playing team defense with their summer league teammates and they're not always putting all their energy into defense.

Weā€™ve had more than one occasion when a new player tore it up in the summer league and then struggled more than expected during the regular seaon. That said, I think Spears will be very good.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;409961]actually, the defense in the summer league is probably better than a regular college game. you have got pros, college guys, former pros, all playing in the league. i was really suprised at how intense it was.[/QUOTE]

They donā€™t play hard in the summer league games, at least not all the time. Maybe in the playoff games.

Spears can shoot it from all over. I didnā€™t think he was that type of player but he was drilling threes, and turn-around jumpers against good sized guys.

I talked to one of the strength and conditioning/trainers recently who watched a lot of practices last year. Said he loved watching Spears. Spears would dominate on the scout team against the 1st team. He would score like 30 out the 34 pts scored. Had no mercy, absolutely took it to them and loved every minute of it.

We will get 16-8 from him at least, assuming we have a couple of other guys who can hit shots.

so outside of spears, what type of production do you expect from each of the players? here is my prediction.
spears 15pts. 8 rebounds
braswell 15pts. 6 rebounds
harris 8 pts. 3 rebounds
wilderness 8 pts. 4 rebounds
jones 10 pts. 5 rebounds
bowden 12 pts. 2 rebounds
coleman 7 pts. 4 rebounds
green 5 pts. 2 rebounds
sirin 3 pts 2 rebounds
sherrill 3 pts. 3 rebounds
parks 2 pts. 1 rebounds
dewhurst 4 pts. 4 rebounds
andersen 5 pts. 3 rebounds

Well if we play any sort of defense at all, weā€™ll go to the FF scoring like that.

Whatā€™s that, 97 ppg? And thatā€™s what weā€™re gonna average? and 47 rebounds?

Thatā€™s quite a turnaround for a team that averaged 68 and 35 last year. Especially when we lost 24 ppg and 13 rpg.

Youā€™re asking our team to essential increase production by 53 ppg and 25 rebounds. That is almost our teamā€™s average production from last year.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;409971]Whatā€™s that, 97 ppg? And thatā€™s what weā€™re gonna average? and 47 rebounds?

Thatā€™s quite a turnaround for a team that averaged 68 and 35 last year. Especially when we lost 24 ppg and 13 rpg.

Youā€™re asking our team to essential increase production by 53 ppg and 25 rebounds. That is almost our teamā€™s average production from last year.[/QUOTE]

i didnt do the math, maybe i will revise that a little.

Yeah, uhhhhhā€¦I have no idea how good we will be next year, and hopefully we see at least a reversal of this years record, but that ā€˜blogā€™ preview was a terrible write up. He obviously doesnt know anything about the team, as he mentions the additions of Braswell, Sirin and Sherrill, but not Green, Spears, or that Bowden didnt play. Also, calls Coleman a soph.

Iā€™ll have to wait and see what we look like after the preseason game and at least a few games into the season before i can make judgements on the players and the team. Hopefully, we have no injuries and no sudden departures, that alone will get us off to a decent start.

[B]Spears[/B] 14 pts 7.1 reb
[B]Braswell[/B] 10 pts 5 reb
[B]Bowden[/B] 8.5 pts 2 reb
[B]Wilderness[/B] 7 pts 3.8 reb
[B]Jones[/B] 6.3 pts 4.4 reb
[B]Sherrill[/B] 6 pts 3.5 reb
[B]Harris[/B] 5.8 pts 2.1 reb
[B]Dewhurst[/B] 3.5 pts 3.2 reb
[B]Andersen[/B] 3.5 pts 1.3 reb
[B]Coleman[/B] 3 pts 2 reb
[B]Green[/B] 3 pts 2 reb
[B]Gokhan[/B] 3 pts 2 reb
[B]Parks[/B] 1 pts

74.9 pts, 36.5 reb

Our depth is truly impressive. The scoring still seems a little high, but I donā€™t know how to whittle it down further. If we come anywhere near 75 points a game I will be happy.

I hope so. He seems to have a ton of passion and intensity, I can't wait to see him play.

Our offense isnā€™t exactly feed the low-post either so Spears should be perfectly fine. Jones is the offensive threat, really. Spears could be an undersized Withers type, garbage man.