Charlotte v Clemson - POSTGAME

Anjuan had 2 early fouls. They benched him because he is important. They wanted him in the 2nd half.

I would be more convinced of that if the same thing didn’t happen Wed. night against ASU

bobby lutz is an idiot if he thought mack was going to be successful taking booker one on one. it didn’t work all night but he never stopped trying. come on use some common sense. i don’t think mack is a go to guy if i am guarding him.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;363740]Anjuan had 2 early fouls. They benched him because he is important. They wanted him in the 2nd half.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I think we are deep enough that we could have given him more minutes in the first half and taken the risk that he might get his 3rd. He didn’t even come back in the second half until several minutes in. We are a better team with him on the floor and he finished the game with only 3 fouls.

Different kind of players but I agree with the Mack to DA comparison. Just way too many forced shots. Seems like he wants to be the go-to guy a little too much and at times, he needs to pass or be more patient.
I agree. I've noticed Mack not passing to open guys and taking the shot himself on numerous occasions..... although Mack's defense is sometimes nothing to brag about, it is still better than DA's was....

Phil just keeps improving… and he can hit free throws too.

bobby lutz is an idiot if he thought mack was going to be successful taking booker one on one. it didn't work all night but he never stopped trying. come on use some common sense. i don't think mack is a go to guy if i am guarding him.

Lutz made it pretty clear in his post-game interview that he wanted the ball to go to Phil on the last play. He didn’t criticize Mack directly, but I think he was a little disappointed that we didn’t try harder to get Phil the ball.

Phil just keeps improving..... and he can hit free throws too.

Phil has def. earned the nod to become a starter. I have been plagued with this thought that next year is his last… is this true?

Phil........ I have been plagued with this thought that next year is his last.... is this true?
Maybe not. We don't know yet.

[QUOTE=pickman;363744]bobby lutz is an idiot if he thought mack was going to be successful taking booker one on one. it didn’t work all night but he never stopped trying. come on use some common sense. i don’t think mack is a go to guy if i am guarding him.[/QUOTE]

Bobby said in the post game that he wanted to final play going to Big Phil. I guess Mack saw something else???

[QUOTE=metro;363699] We leave our feet in mid air, [/QUOTE]

Leaving our feet in mid air is a bad thing to do!

Here’s the deal guys.

It’s natural in a one point loss to look back at the things we did poorly that could have made the difference. Free throws, bad shot selection, turnover, etc.

But, we had the ball with a chance to win at the end. We simply did not execute. They stopped us.

Through it all, we had our opportunity to win. Didn’t get it done.

I hope we learn from this and the rest of the non-conference schedule and get better. I gotta believe things like this can only help us down the road.

The effort was great, but without Ian we get beat by at least 20. He kept the team and the crowd in the game emotionally. 4 points out of our PG slot, assuming Dew’s 3 came when he was playing PG. Harris has got to score more. The 10 assists were nice, but half of those were simply passes to Ian for 3. We have to have him to get the ball up the floor, that’s painfully obvious, but if he doesn’t become productive (i.e. score 6-12 ppg) on offense we are screwed. 2.8 avg. is not going to cut it. Clemson played man the whole game, so it wasn’t the zone that stopped him tonight. Thank goodness Stitt stayed in foul trouble.

Coley nearly had a double-double, and I don’t think anybody noticed.

No ref mentions in this thread, so I guess all that yelling at them from the crowd meant that Clemson never laid a hand on us. They play like Pitino teams. Foul 30 times, get called for 10, and whine that they were called for those 10. I don’t like having to play that way, but if that’s the way the game is going to be called, we have to be allowed to play that way too.

[QUOTE=action49er;363682][SIZE=1]If we had been able to hit more FT’s in the 2nd we would have won the game. We rebounded better, Ian had a great night, Phil was good,[/SIZE][SIZE=7][B][I] but we just couldn’t win.[/I][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE=1]Passing was completely terrible though. I think this team was overrated by most people, but there is still alot of ball left to be played.

I am starting to swing over to the anti-Lutz club. Good teams and good coaches find ways to win games like this. This could have been a turning point in the season but we failed to capitalize on many opportunities.

Should have run more plays for Ian because for once the guy was going ballistic.

Winning the A10 tourney is the only possible way we make the NCAA tourney (unlikely). As it stands now I will be impressed if we make the NIT[/SIZE].[/QUOTE]

Its sooo… heartbreaking… Its like almost there… can almost touch it…

I’m tired of giving Mack chances. I’d rather Coley be starting over Mack to be honest.

I'm tired of giving Mack chances. I'd rather Coley be starting over Mack to be honest.

[SIZE=4]Absof’nlutely!! +100000000[/SIZE]

I couldn’t have said it better! The best post I have read all night!!!

:toast: :headbang: [SIZE=6] [SIZE=3] :49ers:[/SIZE][/SIZE] :thumbsup: :clap:

No one has really focused on the improvement we have made over the past 2 weeks…if our D and rebounding was like it was tonight we would have been 3-0 before tonight…we have improved greatly imo, the key will be how we play over the next 3 games.

well.

after a couple of glasses of wine, a bowl of ice cream and an episode of The Sopranos.

it still sucks to lose.

Team is definately making progress, but a loss is a loss. I don’t care if it was Clemson or CPCC, or if it was by 1 point or 35 points.

I know I will catch some hell for this, but on a weekend gameday, THERE IS NO REASON FOR THE STUDENT SECTION TO BE ANY SMALLER THAN IT WAS TONIGHT. Maybe someday the student body (this is more than just the regulars in the LL) and the community itself will plant their rearends in that arena with some regularity. Sorry for the pseudo-rant, but it pisses me off to see so many people show so infrequently to Halton Arena.

Clemson is pretty good, but they are definately beatable.

Props to Dujuan, Phil and Charles (except for when he was at the point). All three played some very good basketball tonight.

Ian looks wonderful when he’s on and mediocre when he’s not…tonight he was on. Would’ve given him some props if he could bring something else to the court.

Right now, any and all of Coleman’s shots look terrible. Hope it is because of the sprained wrist he has had. He brings some things to the court, but has been a significant offensive liability, so far.

Sure, fouls played a part with some of the others (Aujuan), but I really don’t know what to say about the others except that some of them start by default because we have nothing else.

ETA: a nice big “F U” to KC Rivers for snubbing us for an ACC school. You have family members that are a lot smarter than you ever will be.

No ref mentions in this thread, so I guess all that yelling at them from the crowd meant that Clemson never laid a hand on us. They play like Pitino teams. Foul 30 times, get called for 10, and whine that they were called for those 10. I don't like having to play that way, but if that's the way the game is going to be called, we have to be allowed to play that way too.

Bingo, I think it was around the 10 minute mark in the second half the game picked up a notch in the physical department. Harris was probably the only one that was matching them, I was thinking they need to start playing more physical cause the refs were letting them, I don’t like playing that way either but sometimes you have to to gain an edge.

I still can’t believe Wilderness missed 4 straight free throws. None of them were even close. Jeez.

I know I will catch some hell for this, but on a weekend gameday, THERE IS NO REASON FOR THE STUDENT SECTION TO BE ANY SMALLER THAN IT WAS TONIGHT. Maybe someday the student body (this is more than just the regulars in the LL) and the community itself will plant their rearends in that arena with some regularity. Sorry for the pseudo-rant, but it pisses me off to see so many people show so infrequently to Halton Arena.

Clemson is pretty good, but they are definately beatable.

Sorry. Fact of the matter is, kids around here are all over the ACC’s nuts. We are an inferior university with an inferior basketball program. Kids want to see us slay a quasi-giant. You can’t bring ODU or UNCG in here and expect to get a lot of kids. Same with a lot of the A10. If we have a team that is making it to the dance every year and getting a sweet 16 here and there, ok, but we don’t so this is our reality.

Pos:
Rebs
Phil
Going inside.
Crowd was loud and helped force some TOs.

Neg:
We hit great for FTs all year then suck tonight. Wtf happened?
Too many stupid shots. Not too excessive but there.
Lamont can’t hit the three consistently enough. Stop shooting it, bud. You’re an inside guy.

My selection for play that cost us the game:
There’s about 1:20 on the clock. We are down 2. Lamont takes the ball down the court. The entire time I’m saying, 'Do NOT shoot a three, Lamont. Pass it around. Find a good look at two points. We don’t need three here. We need to play our game and get two." I believe we pass a bit but end up back with Mack at the end. 16 seconds on the shot clock. Still plenty of time to find a good shot for 2 points and a tie. Our defense has been stopping them well. We can do just fine with a tie at this point. Nope. Lamont pulls up, 5 of 18 FGs and 1 for 5 3FGs on the night, he decides to take a 3 with a hand in his face. Miss, Clemson ball. WHAT THE **** WAS HE THINKING??

I also wanted to say, I’m pretty bummed about the student section this year. Kids can’t keep a beat. We start out slow on chants and by the 3rd iteration it has increased in speed by several 100%. We were a lot louder for Xavier last year. I don’t care if you think we are doing poorly or whatever, BE LOUD. Too many people sitting on the front row and not being crazy. Front row 104 isn’t about good seats. It’s about being raucous and helping the team. Just my .02.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Demontez Stitt is a classess ****sucker. Go **** yourself, Stitt.