Cincy/Xavier Brawl

First off, that was a nasty fight. The first thing I thought upon seeing it was…“Yep, vintage Cincinnati.” However Xavier had no business going to blows ahead by 23. Though I have to say Cincy’s coach’s postgame presser afterwards was 1,000 times classier than anything Huggins would have ever said after something like that. 3 Cincy players got 6 games and another got 1 game. Xavier got the following suspensions:

Tu Holloway - 1 game
Mark Lyons - 2 games
Dez Wells and Landen Amos 4 games

As much as I can’t stand Xavier, I still want to see them go into A10 play unbeaten so hopefully this won’t hurt them too badly. The only game Tu will miss is Oral Roberts at home, and the other 3 games will all be in a holiday tournament in Honolulu of which they are the only ranked team playing.

So I believe they should be able to get through these suspensions unscathed.

The X players sounded like thugs in the press conference. They all kept talking about how they were not going to let anyone hit them in the face and not hit back. Very disappointed that the coach has not prepared them better.

First: Why do you even allow your players to speak in the post game press conference?

Second: I see the conferences weighing in a little heavier today on suspensions.

I saw the replays in slow-mo and the guy that kicked the dude in the face while already on the ground should be suspended for the entire season. That was about as heinous as it gets.

This is yet another reason why I really like coach Major. There is absolutely zero thug culture here. The guys he brings in are class acts, and IF this ever went down with our team, you can bet the comments afterwords would be a lot classier and adult than “aye yo we gangstas. You gone hit me in the mouf then we gone blah blah blah blah.”

Kudos to Major for not only bringing in great athletes but what (so far) seem to be great people as well.

Hasn’t the Big East commish already said he thinks Cincy’s suspensions were good enough?

I’d venture to say that Cincy’s past Huggin’s history is partly what caused Cronnin to come out strong in his presser after the game. I did like how he pulled a Huggins though with the whole “not allowed to wear the uniforms” routine. That’s vintage Huggins.

Xavier has Long Beach State coming up and the west coast 49ers are no joke this season. They played the Heels tough recently and I think are playing one of the toughest schedules so far this season.

Cronin came out as strong as a coach could vocally, just didn’t back it up with his actions. “I’ll decide what players remain on the team.” Evidently that would be all of them.

Tu Holloway should have gotten a handfull of games for his post game presser alone. A black eye for the A10

Yeah, but could have guessed the star player would get off the easiest. Not sure if he threw a punch but evidently his trash talk helped stard the whole thing. He should of just said “scoreboard” and moved on.

Black eye for the conference, school, team, fans, etc. Ugly and the press conference made it worse. Why let a player say anything after a fight like that? The coach should not have allowed any talking.

Players for both teams deserve longer suspensions.

Head over to the A-10 boards, X fans are pretty much just sweeping this one under the rug. Very sad situation for all parties involved.

Yancey Gates should be gone for the year- no questions asked. Also the dude that kicked Frease should be done.

Anyting less is wimping out- especially on Gates.

[quote=“hootie, post:13, topic:26025”]Yancey Gates should be gone for the year- no questions asked. Also the dude that kicked Frease should be done.

Anyting less is wimping out- especially on Gates.[/quote]

Yeah- They should get the Legarrett Blount suspension. A sucker punch followed by a kick to the head is the definition of gutless…

[quote=“upperdeck, post:3, topic:26025”]First: Why do you even allow your players to speak in the post game press conference?

Second: I see the conferences weighing in a little heavier today on suspensions.[/quote]

Xavier (AD and Mack) admitted yesterday in their presser that they should have never let Holloway and Lyons speak after the game. They submit they put them in the position and therefore they share in the blame for the comments. Holloway’s comments were the sole reason for his suspension. However, Holloway was mouthing the whole game and I would guess he was the main reason for the fight. He’s classless.

Both the Big East and A10 support the decisions made on the suspensions by both schools.

From ESPN:
An Ohio prosecutor said Monday he will consider criminal charges in the aftermath of a brawl at the end of the Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game.
Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said in a statement that his office would determine if criminal charges were appropriate.

I think this is appropriate in this case.

Cincy looked bad for the fight and Xavier looked bad post fight. Huge blackeye for both teams.

Whole thing apparently started leading up to the game with comments on Twitter. I think the policies concerning social media will be reviewed as well.

Whatever happened to just throwing loose change and batteries at the opposition?

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:15, topic:26025”][quote=“upperdeck, post:3, topic:26025”]First: Why do you even allow your players to speak in the post game press conference?

Second: I see the conferences weighing in a little heavier today on suspensions.[/quote]

Xavier (AD and Mack) admitted yesterday in their presser that they should have never let Holloway and Lyons speak after the game. They submit they put them in the position and therefore they share in the blame for the comments. Holloway’s comments were the sole reason for his suspension. However, Holloway was mouthing the whole game and I would guess he was the main reason for the fight. He’s classless.

Both the Big East and A10 support the decisions made on the suspensions by both schools.

From ESPN:
An Ohio prosecutor said Monday he will consider criminal charges in the aftermath of a brawl at the end of the Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game.
Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said in a statement that his office would determine if criminal charges were appropriate.

I think this is appropriate in this case.

Cincy looked bad for the fight and Xavier looked bad post fight. Huge blackeye for both teams.

Whole thing apparently started leading up to the game with comments on Twitter. I think the policies concerning social media will be reviewed as well.[/quote]

Mack say anything as to why Holloway and Wells were still in the game? Seems both coaches felt something was going to happen in this series yet in a blowout most of the better players were still on the court.

I totally disagree with the district attorney getting involved. Fights in sports happen and are a part of the game in some sports (Hockey). Just someone else trying to make a buck. I think Cincinnati has a history of thug type players through the Huggins years, but I think Xavier has stepped up to the plate and have equaled or bettered that. I like that the Cinci coach is making his players apologize to the public. He seems to be a classy coach even if his players are not.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:5, topic:26025”]This is yet another reason why I really like coach Major. There is absolutely zero thug culture here. The guys he brings in are class acts, and IF this ever went down with our team, you can bet the comments afterwords would be a lot classier and adult than “aye yo we gangstas. You gone hit me in the mouf then we gone blah blah blah blah.”

Kudos to Major for not only bringing in great athletes but what (so far) seem to be great people as well.[/quote]

This. Watching this mess Saturday night made me appreciate even more what we have here, and what he is building here. It also made me view X as just another Cincy except with an X on their jerseys and now I despise them that much more.

Now, I am hoping for a little bit of history repeating itself. What kind of history you ask? It may be a longshot to get to this point but this would be awesome. I reallllly want X to roll into Halton on Jan. 28th just like the Bearcats did on Jan. 14, 1999. Unbeaten, ranked in the Top 5 in the nation, pack the house, make the kind of noise a Halton crowd used to make back in those days, and send them outta our house and fill that floor with our loud and raucous students!!

Man those were the days…

Where is Danny Fortson now days?