Class of 2011

Looking harder and harder for Carter and Nickerson…although Nickerson might be the best shot.

Williams and Thorne seem to be above average recruits for us and possibly could blow up and be big gets, but we need some big time impact players since we are losing so many pieces after this year.
Major doesn’t want to go into rebuilding mode in his second year.
Should be easy to sell the playing time card, but he HAS to get it done! The staff has about three weeks to turn things around before signing day.

Looks like Carter is a slim chance of coming her with UCLA now offering. I hope we can still pick up Nickerson, but I think with Clemson and DePaul that it will be huge to land him. Do we have any other guards that we are working on if Carter goes elsewhere? It seems like we put all of our eggs in his basket, and he may take the basket to UCLA to play. We have to have guard help in the near future. I know we have Mayfield and the guy that may not clear NCAA clearinghouse, but we need help at the PG next year. I also hope we pick up another inside guy since we are losing boht Spears and Jones.

We’ve signed Terrence Williams for next year, he’s a SG and might be able to back up at SF due to his athleticism. Nickerson is a must, not sure what kind of backup plan we have for him. Bigs in this class are HARD to come by, not many quality ones around.

Nickerson played the 1-4 positions in high school, so he should be pretty versatile for us. If we get Carter, then we’ve pulled in a very good class. Two bigs (if you want to consider a 6’7 SF as a big) and two guards with 2 of the 4 being ranked in the top 150.

[quote=“Niner National, post:44, topic:11186”]Nickerson played the 1-4 positions in high school, so he should be pretty versatile for us. If we get Carter, then we’ve pulled in a very good class. Two bigs (if you want to consider a 6’7 SF as a big) and two guards with 2 of the 4 being ranked in the top 150.[/quote]Would be a huge class for Major. I don’t anticipate we use all the scholarships, 2012 is loaded with big men and I can see us saving one or 2.

This is the first time in many, many years that we are getting quality recruits in the early signing period. It seems like we went so many years missing our targets and waiting for the spring to sign a JUCO or low-level talent. Hopefully, we can add to our three commitments this year. Carter would be a huge prize. I would like to see one more front court guy since we are losing three guys in the spring.

I think major is very high on sherrill, if you put E Vic in Wilderness’s spot, and Thorne in Phils spot I think we are ok up front, we could us one more PF for depth though, we’ll see what major does next spring/summer.

I’ll say it again, quality bigs are almost gone for 2011. It was a weak big man class and 2012 is loaded with bigs and light on PG’s. I don’t want us to reach because a kid has size. Save it for next year when you can offer tons of playing time or land a transfer with it in the Spring.

Or a quality juco - I know that is a bad word around here, but jucos can be a great land if they are providing depth. We have had quality jucos in the past - just went wrong when we started expecting them to be team leaders in attitude and performance.

We’ve had some fantastic JUCOs in here. Then there’s been some who should’ve been walkons rather than scholarship players. Like you said NWA, for the past few years, we’ve relied on JUCOs way too much.

Or a quality juco - I know that is a bad word around here, but jucos can be a great land if they are providing depth. We have had quality jucos in the past - just went wrong when we started expecting them to be team leaders in attitude and performance.[/quote]

I think this is a great point, a JUCO PF would fit well for next year, that way we can still go hard after the top bigs in 2012 and still have a backup at the 4 next year. I don’t know about you guys but the depth at 4 isn’t looking to hot next year.

I agree. We need to sign another big, whether a big man high schooler or juco, in the spring. Depth is def an issue, but I dont even know who the starter will be? KJ? Remains to be seen if he can be a starter, and this season may set him back, we’ll have to see.

Dont know how ready Thorne will be to play minutes, Bras is a given, KJ a question mark. More work to do in the spring, i think…

[quote=“Iron9er, post:52, topic:11186”]I agree. We need to sign another big, whether a big man high schooler or juco, in the spring. Depth is def an issue, but I dont even know who the starter will be? KJ? Remains to be seen if he can be a starter, and this season may set him back, we’ll have to see.

Dont know how ready Thorne will be to play minutes, Bras is a given, KJ a question mark. More work to do in the spring, i think…[/quote]

If KJ isn’t ready to start there is a possibility of starting Nickerson and Barnett at either forward position depending on match-ups game to game.

I’m not opposed to a JUCO, the one we have in mind, Javon Dawson, blew out his knee. We’ll see how things shape up. May be quite for a bit after the early signing period is over.