Class of 2019 MBB recruiting thread

1 Like

Was Bamba injured the last 10 games or so? He was used sparingly. We need height and someone to play inside and I’m hoping he gives us 10-15 min. Not sure I expect much more. Low risk with the schollie. I wish we could have got a bigger impact player but then remember the recent and current state of our program. Baby steps.

This roster is so much better than last year’s, there’s no comparison. Much deeper, much bigger, much more competition for playing time.

They’ve done a nice job of balancing the scholarship table, still have two (probably more with transfers) to get even better with our next recruiting class.

Sanchez knows what he is doing and is in control of the program.

Really looking forward to next season now. If nothing changes with the roster we should be greatly improved. Honestly don’t know why we shouldn’t be competing in the top 3 to 5 of CUSA. Maybe I’m rushing things a little but this conference has no clear cut favorites and most teams are mediocre at best. We were very close to winning 5 or so additional games this past season so I’m looking and hoping for a big improvement. Adding 2 more experienced guys to balance out the roster and still leaving the 2 openings for 2020 makes a lot of sense and puts us in a good position moving forward.

1 Like

I agree with this. If you look at the new roster, which includes 13 scholarship players, 9 of them were not active players last year. So, 9 of the 13 will be new additions. ~75% new team = VERY different team.

We should win some more games by actually having a few players on the bench instead of playing walk-ons 20 mins in some games last year when we had 7 guys dressed out.

Positives: Depth (some with experience), and with so many new faces perhaps we get surprised by the quality of 1 or 2 additions.

Negatives: So many new guys it could be rough early on as they adjust to Sanchez system.

I think it’s a benefit overall with all the new pieces we have for the Fall. Bonus is that they way the roster filled out we still have at least 2 scholarships to use for 2020.

clt says we have the top recruiting class in cusa

We have three that red-shirted last year so they should be adjusted to the style right away so that should help.

I’m not as worried about those guys. It’s the 4 incoming freshmen that could have a harder time adapting. It’s going to be fun to watch it unfold.

This gave me chills

How long has it been since we have had a full roster

1 Like

If you count Bennett, it’s like we have 14 scholarship players, since he had 3 d1 offers.

1 Like

Also, assuming Blight and Kitoko stick around, they actually have a good amount of experience for walk-ons and showed they could at least give spot minutes as needed in a pinch.

FYI/FWIW on commitments - Little Rock transfer (and Charlottean) Rayjon Tucker Jr to Memphis and reclassified top 100 freshman Jalen Cone to Virginia Tech.

With regard to Drew Edwards, I’ve seen him play in person a time or two. I was at the double overtime game they played against my Hoyas in January where Drew was needed to fill some real minutes. I came away thoroughly impressed and am a little surprised he was not utilized more by the Friars (I know that much of his time was dictated by when Reeves was/wasn’t available; but, from what I saw, he was too good to ride the pine for the rest of his career). I’m pretty excited about adding him to the roster and think he can really bring something great to this team in what time he has left to play.

clt asks how we remove the UNC from the header?

Talk about a cupboard full of potential contributors. Sanchez must stay up at night dreaming of the dozens of possible rotations he may get to use.

Preseason and the first hand full of games are going to be so exciting as we have so much newness to witness. We may not see the same starting lineup more than once during the entire non-conference schedule.

2 Likes