Class of 2021 MBB recruiting thread

JU cancelled their final two regular season games (including senior recognition) and participation in the ASUN tournament due to COVID-19 protocols. Then HC Tony Jasick was let go this past Monday after seven seasons with the Dolphins.

Anyway, I got the impression from yesterdayā€™s post game that Matos and Shepherd wonā€™t be returning, but thatā€™s just speculation on my part. If so, weā€™ll need more guards even if none of the underclassmen transfers. (And no, I donā€™t anticipate that happening!)

We were on schedule for 3 open spots and signed two in early period which were both guards/wings

See that Wake landed one of the Indiana State transfers - all-MVC 2nd team SO 6-9 G/F Jake LaRavia (12.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.3 apg and 1.5 spg).

Not aware that we were in contact, but seems like just what we need!

Niners have offered the former Murray State PG from Columbia:

1 Like

More on Moorman:

And link to the NN thread about him when we offered initially:

There was a time when we relied on JUCOs to fill up our team, but now we do not get any. Is the path to Div I different now with the transfer portal? Is the better path to play at a smaller Div I program where you can get minutes as a freshman, and then just transfer up? Or are we just not looking at those players anymore?

I would think it would be tough to find jucos that are better than the transfers we can get, and can learn the system quickly enough to contribute meaningfully before they graduate.

Panther Creek HS (Cary, NC) grad averaged 13 ppg and 2.8 apg as PG for Longwood (Big South) this season, with 21 pts in finale vs Pepperdine in the CBI.

I took my son to his first HS hoops game ever and Juan Munoz (assist) and team had other ideasā€¦ this was the top play on sportscenter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfRlcFR4ftE

Haha dangā€¦ huge exciting moment followed by ā€œwhelp, guess game is overā€. Maybe they played some half court, take back behind 3pt line (or pass).

Niners have contacted Oklahoma transfer 6-2 frosh SG Trey Phipps of Tulsa. His father played for the Sooners in the mid-1980s.

Niners have also contacted North Dakota junior 6-9 PF Filip Rebraca of Sombor, Serbia. Averaged 16.8 ppg and 7.6 rpg for the Fighting Hawks.

Phipps had a pretty good collegiate debut vs UTSA back in December:

TRANSFER PORTAL:

Now, there are a few easy steps to the process:

1. The athlete tells his/her compliance office that he/she wants to transfer.

2. The compliance office has two business days to digitally register that athlete in the portal.

3. Coaches can see who is in the portal, but it is not public information.

4. Athletes can withdraw from the portal; itā€™s then up to the school to decide whether to take that athlete back and restore his/her scholarship.

Also, once the athlete enters the portal, he or she can decide whether to include personal contact information so that interested schools can reach out. Some opt to not include that information; on plenty of occasions, the transferring athlete already has an idea about potential destinations and prefers not to essentially open up a recruiting process to everyone.

Push the pace? Whatā€™s that?

1 Like

Niners land Holy Cross transfer 6-5 SG Austin Butler, an All-Patriot League second-team selection who averaged 16 ppg and 8.7 rpg this season. Taking advantage of the extra season granted by the NCAA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/austinbutler44/status/1377781148345102336?s=19

https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1377784719694237696

2 Likes