clt provides more UNC CHeat scandal.

Wear long sleeves :frowning:

This appears on the opinionated editorial section, not the sports section or the front page. Those articles in the sports section seem much more heavily in favor of the assholes in chapel hill. Much more, including comments on it being a great day.

This came up after Big Bang Theory today. Perfect timing.

e, the epiphany came in my second season on Roseanne. At thirty-nine years old I finally woke up to the fact that the principles I was taught as a child, like fairness and justice, have no place in the world of power and money. The rules of the sandbox, strictly enforced by a wise and compassionate adult, are laughable when the sandbox is the television business and there are Mercedes and Bentleys parked alongside it. What’s odd is that twenty years later, despite my belated awakening to the reality of amorality, that old schoolyard programming continues to insist on its rightness. Ideas like “play nice,” “share your toys,” “no name-calling,” “take turns” and “misbehaving gets punished” still resonate inside me as if they were some sort of fundamental truths. Of course, I now know that they are not. At best, they’re ideals. Lofty goals to aspire to. The truisms of the real world are more along the lines of, “my ball, my bat, my rules” and “money talks, bull$#*! walks.” . The truth is, we are alone in the sandbox. The game we play, seemingly forever, is called “Ideals vs. Money and Bats.” For what it’s worth, I’m betting on the latter.

clt says enjoy!

From Gary Parrish:

CBSSports.com: North Carolina ruling showcases NCAA’s ineptitude as FBI swoops into college hoops

And Dan Wetzel:

Yahoo.com: North Carolina blows NCAA to smithereens (while embarrassing itself) in academic fraud case

More reading.

NBCSports.com: NCAA’s North Carolina ruling devalues scholarship, ‘student’-athlete even further

Yahoo.com: North Carolina ruling proves NCAA is useless

[size=2]The more I thought about this the more I realize that the NCAA could never rule guilty.[/size]

[size=2]This was the only outcome.
[/size]

[size=2]If they determined that UNC was guilty…it would be for 20 years of guilt. Meaning, the history books would need to be rewritten at a level never before seen. The precedent has been set that you forfeit games where ineligible players have participated. UNC would have had to forfeit 20 years of games and titles in multiple sports. PLUS…20 years of proven illegal benefits would leave them no choice but to give them the death penalty.[/size]

[size=2]But the NCAA isn’t in the business of shutting down athletic depts…they make no money that way. Especially when it’s one of their cash cows.[/size]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Also…once THIS precedent is set…it must be followed again when other schools eventually were found to have paper classes too.[/size][/font]

[size=2]Then…the NCAA is rewriting all the history books for nearly every sport and shutting down dozens of athletic depts at some of the highest profile schools.[/size]

[size=2]The only way to avoid opening that pandora’s box…is to somehow find a technicality that prevents the guilty verdict altogether.[/size]

[size=2]That’s what they did.[/size]

Their technicality makes no sense of course (not that the feckless NCAA cares). Their argument is that bad behavior by the university (fake classes that the university fully admits) does not affect the eligibility of the athletes enrolled in them. As if the university should not be punished for giving their athletes an unfair advantage. It’s treating the university as entirely separate from their athletic departments, which is ludicrous given the athletic departments are a unit within the university, the university’s leadership has authority over those athletic departments, and their budgets flow back and forth (and the university makes a lot of money off of their sports in this case). For all those people saying the NCAA couldn’t punish the athletic teams for an academic issue, that’s obviously a bunch of crap because they’re intertwined to the point that punishment of the sports teams is the only way to punish the academic units for giving their sports teams an unfair advantage. Even if we forget all of the emails that point to just how special the treatment of athletes was, the fact that so many athletes were in fraudulent classes means they were all ineligible by the university’s own admission.

The other argument that the NCAA shouldn’t be figuring which classes are legitimate or not (which I agree with) is a distraction because the Cheats admitted their classes were fraudulent to their accrediting agency. The NCAA doesn’t have to rule on the class legitimacy, it’s been admitted to by the university.

Again, logic doesn’t matter, the student in “student”-athlete doesn’t matter, only money matters. The playing field is so tilted to the money-making teams that it’s no longer really a competition, let alone a fair competition.

Exactly.

The argument doesn’t need real logic. It just needs to be something they can argue as a technicality…whether it makes sense or not.

It is an argument they can use to say it’s not technically against any particular rule…so they can protect one of their cash cows (and the other cash cows that would have been found to be doing the same thing somewhere down the line).

clt says the only people who still care about this dislike UNC CHeat. your average wal mart fan likely blames the NCAA for dragging good ol roy’s name into the mud.

Check out @GeneEgdorf’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/GeneEgdorf/status/921593793580818432?s=09

NCAA files emergency appeal to prevent deposition of medical director Dr Hainline. What is it the NCAA wants so desperately to hide?
On this issue, I'd recommend taking a look at documents UNC produced as part of Wainstein fraud investigation. Just a hint. https://t.co/eIkSojxyVW

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:2032, topic:28477”]Check out @GeneEgdorf’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/GeneEgdorf/status/921593793580818432?s=09

NCAA files emergency appeal to prevent deposition of medical director Dr Hainline. What is it the NCAA wants so desperately to hide?
On this issue, I'd recommend taking a look at documents UNC produced as part of Wainstein fraud investigation. Just a hint. https://t.co/eIkSojxyVW
[/quote]

clt hopes this turns into something.

clt says enjoys the comments. At least we have that.

http://amp.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article181084561.html

And today, more than at any time of my life, I am ashamed of my university and the reaction of its community, celebrating our bare escape from the self-perceived tyrannical clutches of the NCAA.

In other words, the NCAA could have burned UNC to the ground with sanctions but for the fact that UNC stood by the position that a sham class, which students did not attend and for which shoddy work resulted in acceptable marks papering the grading files, complied with Carolina’s own standards. It is not that academic fraud did not occur. It is that the NCAA is bound by the university’s determination on this pretend class meeting its own standards. That is humiliating, and should sting us all, and particularly those who attended and graduated.

BUTCH BRACKNELL WAS A CAREER MARINE AND IS NOW AN INTERNATIONAL LAW ATTORNEY FOR A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION.

From Gary Parrish:

[Quote]It’s been two weeks since the NCAA announced it would not sanction North Carolina even though its student-athletes benefitted from fraudulent classes for nearly two decades. But if you thought the collegiate sports governing body was going to take this month off completely, think again. Because there are basketball players at Oakland and Colorado who must be punished – even if it fails to pass the test of common sense and decency.

Yep, here we are again.[/quote]
Link to entire piece:

CBSSports.com: Here’s two more times the NCAA is failing to rule sensibly on players’ academic issues

Parrish, as he often does, hits the nail on the head.

[Quote]It’s been a rough few weeks for the NCAA – starting with the FBI exposing the underbelly of college basketball in a way that proves its grip on amateurism is outdated and ridiculous. That was followed by the North Carolina case coming to a close without any penalties for a school that essentially got away with more than a decade of academic fraud because of what amounts to a loophole in the rulebook. And that was followed by last week’s decisions to punish Oakland’s Jalen Hayes and Colorado’s Evan Battey in ways that make no sense to any sensible person.

Consequently, nobody (in sports, at least) needs a public relations win right now more than the NCAA. Somebody in that big building in Indianapolis must be wise enough to realize as much. And yet the NCAA blew it again with NC State’s Braxton Beverly. Incredibly and shamefully, the NCAA blew it again.[/quote]
Link to entire piece:

CBSSports.com: NCAA’s denial of waiver for NC State freshman is shameful, embarrassing

clt says this is a game changer: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article182309151.html

the ncaa is feckless and should be disbanded.