clt rants about name change, and then something happened

clt says just look at the reporting of the massive academic fraud.

Headline- UNC in trouble
Firstline: UNC-CH in trouble
Remainder of story: UNC in trouble.

I stupidly figured this was the end to the clt 3rd person schtick

No doubt. It’s time for us to change our name!

I posted this in the scandal thread but it goes well here too:

This post has been sanitized for your sensitivity.

^ ummm wow. I personally am not offended but people def get offended for much less than that pic.

It’s just intended to make a point, not to be offensive. Sure we can all agree slavery is evil in all it’s forms.

My sig has basically been the same thing for years now. Heard no complaints.

Just because people might get offended, doesn’t really mean anything. Getting offended is often a convenient choice because of the victim culture prevalent in (at least) America today. No one is endorsing the abhorrent institution in question, should be obvious.

Edit: And by “abhorrent institution” I don’t mean UNC. :wink:

I get all the “why people shouldn’t be offended arguments”. I’m just saying if you are going to use a picture, you can show a slave in the fields or working in the house… Not getting whipped.

Anyways. Neither of yall will be presidents of the U.S… That’s fine, I won’t either.

Doesn’t really illustrate the point as accurately nor drive it home as well…

Edit: I realized you might not know, this picture is from the scene where he speaks about his name.

Just because people might get offended, doesn’t really mean anything. Getting offended is often a convenient choice because of the victim culture prevalent in (at least) America today. No one is endorsing the abhorrent institution in question, should be obvious.

Edit: And by “abhorrent institution” I don’t mean UNC. ;)[/quote]

Yes, it’s the victim culture in America that should be blamed for people getting offended… It has nothing to do with the hard evidence of racism and discrimination in America that people of all types face on a consistent basis…

But to go back to the original point, this meme is just funny and obviously not meant to offend.

Edit: And by “abhorrent institution” I don’t mean UNC. ;)[/quote]

Yes, it’s the victim culture in America that should be blamed for people getting offended… It has nothing to do with the hard evidence of racism and discrimination in America that people of all types face on a consistent basis…

But to go back to the original point, this meme is just funny and obviously not meant to offend.[/quote]
“often”

I must have missed that episode of Reading Rainbow. :smirk:

I think that pic is a bit overboard…

It was a pretty somber episode. It was a lot like the Captain Kangaroo where Dancing Bear’s grandfather died.

It was a pretty somber episode. It was a lot like the Captain Kangaroo where Dancing Bear’s grandfather died.[/quote] Quality post.

[font=tahoma][size=2]Jeff Van Gundy just referred to us and Mark Price during the GSW game, and called us the University of Charlotte.[/size][/font]

It’s just intended to make a point, not to be offensive. Sure we can all agree slavery is evil in all it’s forms.[/quote]

You are trivializing slavery by comparing it to our name change. Pretty simple and a pretty shitty way to make a point. Further, if I were a black kid being recruited by Charlotte and saw this on NNN it would have me thinking twice about what kind of fanbase we have.

It’s just intended to make a point, not to be offensive. Sure we can all agree slavery is evil in all it’s forms.[/quote]

You are trivializing slavery by comparing it to our name change. Pretty simple and a pretty shitty way to make a point. Further, if I were a black kid being recruited by Charlotte and saw this on NNN it would have me thinking twice about what kind of fanbase we have.[/quote]

People need to get over what happened to other people over a century ago. Slavery has affected all races and was caused by all races. I am pretty sure no one on this board or viewing this board has participated in the act of slavery as an owner, trader, or a slave. Also, one person making a joke would not be construed as this is the image of the fanbase. Like it or not the fanbase goes well beyond this forum. if a potential recruit decides this is not the place for them because of a joke, they are not mature enough or educated enough to attend our University. I thought the post was not even close to being offensive compared to some of the other things put on this board.

You are trivializing slavery by comparing it to our name change. Pretty simple and a pretty shitty way to make a point. Further, if I were a black kid being recruited by Charlotte and saw this on NNN it would have me thinking twice about what kind of fanbase we have.[/quote]

People need to get over what happened to other people over a century ago. Slavery has affected all races and was caused by all races. I am pretty sure no one on this board or viewing this board has participated in the act of slavery as an owner, trader, or a slave. Also, one person making a joke would not be construed as this is the image of the fanbase. Like it or not the fanbase goes well beyond this forum. if a potential recruit decides this is not the place for them because of a joke, they are not mature enough or educated enough to attend our University. I thought the post was not even close to being offensive compared to some of the other things put on this board. [/quote]

In the nearly 100 years between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, America struggled to find an identity. I don’t think that was too different than the struggle we face today in the wake of slavery. The effects of not only slavery, but segregation and negative views of 19th and 20th century immigration still linger today. We can’t ignore that regardless of how tolerant or intolerant we are of jokes on a college athletics board.

This thread has turned into an embarrassment. Can we please send it to the gulag?