clt says post your winter death storm 09 snowfall amounts here

4-4.5 (in raleigh)

[QUOTE=NLP;378402]It’s not like that. Most Northerners know that 1) the south doesn’t need nor maintain the type of equipment to deal with these once/2 or 3 year storms and also 2) ice is ice. I don’t care where you are from or where you learned how to drive, ice is a nightmare to drive on. I don’t want anyone, yankee, redneck, hick, good ol’ boy, whatever driving within 8 car lengths of me when it’s icy.[/QUOTE]

This, this, this. 100x this. I don’t care if you’re from the north or from the south. I don’t care if you have real-wheel-drive for front-wheel-drive. I don’t care if you’ve got four-wheel-drive.

ANYTHING x ICE = 0 TRACTION.

[QUOTE=Roasty;378448]This, this, this. 100x this. I don’t care if you’re from the north or from the south. I don’t care if you have real-wheel-drive for front-wheel-drive. I don’t care if you’ve got four-wheel-drive.

ANYTHING x ICE = 0 TRACTION.[/QUOTE]

So technically, you’re saying that the numerical value of ice is 0?

[QUOTE=Roasty;378448]This, this, this. 100x this. I don’t care if you’re from the north or from the south. I don’t care if you have real-wheel-drive for front-wheel-drive. I don’t care if you’ve got four-wheel-drive.

That’s not true, you can throw the chains on the tires and get traction.

Studded snow tires work ok. Chain work great if you can stand the noise.

That's not true, you can throw the chains on the tires and get traction.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that my hyperbole was referring to the idiots who think:

I’m from the North! Being born above the Mason-Dixon line magically allows me to drive in this just fine!

-or-

I’ve got 4WD! That can handle mud and rocks just fine, so ice shouldn’t be any different.

…and thus do not change their driving habits in any way (meaning no chains, not driving any slower, etc.).

[I]I'm from the North! Being born above the Mason-Dixon line magically allows me to drive in this just fine![/I]

-or-

I’ve got 4WD! That can handle mud and rocks just fine, so ice shouldn’t be any different.

Look I’m from the North and I understand what you mean. I also enjoy the fact in Charlotte you get off for a dusting. However, it’s usually not you, it’s other people who are the problem when driving in snow or in ice. As long as you know not to be too extreme (with the breaks or the gas) you’re fine.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;378397] Also, the cockknockers from up north who get cocky and then spin out in the snow? yeah, they’re the ones who look stupid. And I’ve witnessed it many a time.[/QUOTE]

How did you know where they were from? Did you go over to them and ask?

On a side note you guys are acting like when it is icy, every inch of the road is icy.

It's not the apocalypse.

Buy your bread, buy your milk. Personally, I would buy beer: nutritionally, it’s liquid bread :slight_smile:

But seriously, do we really need the newscasters to talk about how big of a story this is when it just makes us look stupid?

They get more snow up north in one day than we get in a year. Do we have to look like a bunch of chicken ****ing littles everytime it snows?

It's not us... it's the damn newscasters.

Last night, they were covering the two “major” stories.

The inauguration is a major story. Two inches of snow… is not.

One word…

Ratings.

[QUOTE=wayton5646;378509]How did you know where they were from? Did you go over to them and ask?

On a side note you guys are acting like when it is icy, every inch of the road is icy.[/QUOTE]

Once I was going off the out-of-state plates on the car that spun out here in NC, the rest of the time the examples were accidents/spinouts that I witnessed up north while visiting my wife’s family during Christmas

This, this, this. 100x this. I don't care if you're from the north or from the south. I don't care if you have real-wheel-drive for front-wheel-drive. I don't care if you've got four-wheel-drive.

ANYTHING x ICE = 0 TRACTION.

I understand what you are getting at, BUT…

There is a way to drive in the winter that isn’t taught/understood in the south, not because southerners are bad drivers, but because it just isn’t necessary.

Driving on icy roads requires the proper pressure on and use of both brakes and accelerator. Also, reacting properly when a car begins to skid and turning the wheel in the proper direction is a reaction that is learned.

However, many northerners think they are invincible because they understand all this. The one thing most forget is they don’t have snow tires on their car.

5 feet and counting (+ ice) back home… not such a bad winter…yet.