clt says we are top 25!

An athletic director whose school doesn’t win at both football and basketball – or rock at the highest of levels at one of them – is an unemployed athletic director.

Someone needs to educate this fool on the UNCC, NC Charlotte, UNC-C way!!!

Hell maybe he will do a story on it.

It doesn’t make us better, but it does make me feel better to read that Shaka Smart’s “basketball team went into the tank, finishing dead last in the Big 12 going 11-22 overall and a horrendous 4-14 in the league.”. Pettiness is all I have left.

This list holds a lot of our conference mates as well.

Wonder how many on this list have had the same Athletic Director for a quarter of a century.

25 years??? Boy,in my line of work with that track record I would have had 1…2 if the boss was a relative!

It’s a damn shame that we accept such mediocrity…and mediocrity is definitely too flattering a term.

[table] [tr] [td]University[/td] [td]Director[/td] [td] Years[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Charlotte 49ers[/td] [td]Judy Rose[/td] [td][right]27[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]UTEP Miners[/td] [td]Bob Stull[/td] [td][right]19[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Texas Longhorns[/td] [td]Mike Perrin (men) [2 years] / Christine Plonsky (women) [16 years][/td] [td] 18[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Florida International Golden Panthers [/td] [td]Pete Garcia[/td] [td][right]11[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Texas Tech Red Raiders[/td] [td]Kirby Hocutt[/td] [td][right]6[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Boston College Eagles[/td] [td]Brad Bates[/td] [td][right]5[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Florida Atlantic Owls[/td] [td]Patick Chun[/td] [td][right]5[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Miami University RedHawks[/td] [td]David Sayler[/td] [td][right]4[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Northern Illinois Huskies[/td] [td]Sean Frazier[/td] [td][right]4[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]East Carolina Pirates[/td] [td]Jeff Compher[/td] [td][right]4[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]ULM Warhawks[/td] [td]Brian Wickstrom[/td] [td][right]4[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Arizona State Sun Devils[/td] [td]Ray Anderson[/td] [td][right]3[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Utah State Aggies[/td] [td]John Hartwell[/td] [td][right]2[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Massachusetts Minutemen[/td] [td]Ryan Bamford[/td] [td][right]2[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Tulane Green Wave[/td] [td] Troy Dannen[/td] [td][right]2[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Rutgers Scarlet Knights[/td] [td]Pat Hobbs[/td] [td][right]2[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Mississippi State Bulldogs[/td] [td]John Cohen[/td] [td][right]1[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Illinois Fighting Illini[/td] [td]Josh Whitman[/td] [td][right]1[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]North Texas Mean Green[/td] [td]Wren Baker[/td] [td][right]1[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Bowling Green Falcons[/td] [td]Bob Moosbrugger[/td] [td][right]1[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Connecticut Huskies[/td] [td]David Benedict[/td] [td][right]1[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Missouri Tigers[/td] [td]Jim Sterk[/td] [td][right]1[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]San Jose State Spartans[/td] [td]Marie Tuite[/td] [td][right]0[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Oregon State Beavers[/td] [td]Scott Barnes[/td] [td][right]0[/right][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]UNLV Rebels[/td] [td]vacant[/td] [td][right]0[/right][/td] [/tr][/table]

Well, Mizzou got a new AD last year and is shopping for a new MBB HC and has been cleared to go over $2M/ yr to find the right one. Oh yeah, that $40M they got from the SEC this year helps. So Mizzou is taking corrective action. Wonder how many of the other schools mentioned are?

Making this list with an AD of more than 25 years should be grounds for dismissal.

I would say fire her, but we should probably wait for the new chancellor to do that. I don’t trust Phil.

clt says judy has outlasted the belk tower on campus.

It’s great to make the top 25 but was hoping maybe we would be #1. We can’t be the best at anything evidently

It’s great to make the top 25 but was hoping maybe we would be #1. We can’t be the best at anything evidently[/quote]

Hey! At least they know we exist and have D1 football and basketball AND (drum roll…) they called us CHARLOTTE!! :stuck_out_tongue:

In the PC world we live in today…I can promise you…we will NOT (now or ever) be the school to fire a female AD.

Especially one that the school recently named a Football fieldhouse in honor of.

She is here until she quits.

Period.

I hope I got this correct. I have attempted to look at how Charlotte has fared in C-USA each year, and coded where we finished in the conference like a stop light by thirds. Top third–green, middle–yellow, and bottom–red. Some sports are tricky to decide where we finished, and I even found a mistake or two in C-USA’s records.

If we are shooting to be a top third team then we are generally not getting there. If we are not shooting to be a top third team we should be embarrassed. It may be true that in some of our sports we are simply looking to graduate players and not have any arrests. The only excuse for that is to conserve money to pay other sports, but if that is what is happening, it isn’t working.

At this point I think it is too early to blame football. Men’s basketball is clearly underwater. Volleyball is on their third coach in five years and looks like our worst sport. I was surprised to see that we are a Women’s Tennis school. I am going to have to figure out how to go watch them because they are carrying the banner. I thought we were a T&F/CC school too, but apparently not.

[quote=“Nugget, post:15, topic:30856”]I hope I got this correct. I have attempted to look at how Charlotte has fared in C-USA each year, and coded where we finished in the conference like a stop light by thirds. Top third–green, middle–yellow, and bottom–red. Some sports are tricky to decide where we finished, and I even found a mistake or two in C-USA’s records.

If we are shooting to be a top third team then we are generally not getting there. If we are not shooting to be a top third team we should be embarrassed. It may be true that in some of our sports we are simply looking to graduate players and not have any arrests. The only excuse for that is to conserve money to pay other sports, but if that is what is happening, it isn’t working.

At this point I think it is too early to blame football. Men’s basketball is clearly underwater. Volleyball is on their third coach in five years and looks like our worst sport. I was surprised to see that we are a Women’s Tennis school. I am going to have to figure out how to go watch them because they are carrying the banner. I thought we were a T&F/CC school too, but apparently not.[/quote]

clt says we are a soccer and golf school

Nugget, thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to see something like that for a long time.

I wonder what it’d look like if we went back 10 years. I know we were pretty good at track and cross country for a while, but that may have been 15 years ago.

edit
I think this shows a pretty poor track record. This would get you fired most places, especially if you show how bad we were in the years prior to this. A good example of an athletic Director, IMHO, is Scott Strickland. Florida hired him away from Mississippi State and doubled his salary from $500,000 to $1 million. Dang! I think Ed McLaughlin is a good AD too. I have had some conversations with VCU alums recently and they have emphasized the amount of money, fundraising, and marketing that he has put into basketball for them.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/16/see-how-much-your-university-gets-from-corporate.html?ana=e_me_set2&s=scroll&ed=2017-03-16&u=LnfPAPiPbYIyyH8uzsKmow063775a0&t=1489674619&j=77664631

clt says read, and react in 30 words or less.

[quote=“cltniners, post:18, topic:30856”]http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/16/see-how-much-your-university-gets-from-corporate.html?ana=e_me_set2&s=scroll&ed=2017-03-16&u=LnfPAPiPbYIyyH8uzsKmow063775a0&t=1489674619&j=77664631

clt says read, and react in 30 words or less.[/quote]

We are not in the list, but we have (had?) a deal with IMG College so it makes me think the list is wrong. (24)

[quote=“Nugget, post:19, topic:30856”][quote=“cltniners, post:18, topic:30856”]http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/16/see-how-much-your-university-gets-from-corporate.html?ana=e_me_set2&s=scroll&ed=2017-03-16&u=LnfPAPiPbYIyyH8uzsKmow063775a0&t=1489674619&j=77664631

clt says read, and react in 30 words or less.[/quote]

We are not in the list, but we have (had?) a deal with IMG College so it makes me think the list is wrong. (24)[/quote]

But ECU, UNC-tweetsie, and most or all of our conference mates ARE on that list. (15)