Clt starts a fiu chat page

Youā€™ve made that joke 3 times already today. We get it, you hate everything and love being negative.

This almost makes me madder than the defense. Thatā€™s a Lambert answer.

This is the worst D weā€™ve had since joining FBS in 2015. If we donā€™t make some schematic defensive adjustments we might not win another game. We were a top 20 defense nationally returning 7 starters and are now one of the worst in the country.

For the love of god coach, please modify the defense to put our players in the best position to succeed.

Really does no good to complain about it at this point but Iā€™m really tired of hearing how we couldnā€™t have kept Spencer because Healy would want to bring in his own guys & new coaches just donā€™t keep existing coordinators around. Thatā€™s BS. If you have the opportunity to keep a good coordinator like Spencer & keep that defense from last season intact thatā€™s what you should do if you want to win. Iā€™m frustrated & just venting stupidly right now but this defense is embarrassing. We have had a few injuries but overall the personnel is not that much different from last year. Honestly we had a a couple of 3 star or better guys transfer in in the secondary so there were some quality additions to the defense. Had a starting linebacker from last season leave because he was not going to see as much playing time in this scheme. Just rambling but the point Iā€™m trying to make is if something ainā€™t broke, donā€™t freaking fix it. Even if Spencer didnā€™t want to stay the defensive scheme was pretty damn good for the personnel we have so why try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I donā€™t blame Healy for bringing in his guys and doing things his way, but dang this defense stinks. It is more than just the schemes. The players look lost with miscommunication and the tackling sucks.

By Football Outsiders metrics our defense was 98th best in the country last year, I donā€™t know where the top 20 notion was coming from. Our scoring defense was lucky more than anything and we were due for regression there.

FAU and FIU both looked like they were running practice drills on our defense. Time to analyze our scheme.

It was top 20 in run defense I believe.

No, but we could have kept the scheme. Healy chose not to.

I posted this in another thread. The D is on Healy. All he had to do was NOT screw with it.

Yes,and was higher than that most of last season.

I know yā€™all are talking scheme but what is most concerning is just the lack of tackling ability. Many of these games we have had guys in position and just not brought them down. Iā€™d love to see a stat of yards gain after first contact.

Iā€™m not a huge fan of scheme and would have preferred we kept what we were doing at the line last year with a more aggressive pass defense. Iā€™m assuming we just need more talent to run what we have now. Iā€™m also curious if having Co-DCs is complicating matters.

One of the reasons spencer left is because Healy wanted him to be codefensive coordinator. Right now are defensive coordinators are not on the same page players are being told different things by different coaches And itā€™s obvious watching the confusion on the field. I asked the ? Earlier , who has the final say on the defense. I guess coach Healy.

Iā€™m with you on this as well. Tackling has been atrocious.

But one other comment, on most of the long TD runs, the RB even we untouched totally. I hope this is something we can fix during season, or we are toast.

I donā€™t know why tackling has looked so bad this season. Iā€™m definitely not an expert but Iā€™m pretty sure tackling techniques can be taught & practiced so maybe weā€™re just not doing as good with that this year. Also playing more defensive backs & less linebackers could contribute because linebackers are typically better tacklers. Iā€™m just guessing but something major has obviously changed.

i really think a lot of it goes back to our dtā€™s not getting any push. just as an exercise, i looked up the 247sports rankings out of high schools of these guys:
bryan wallace-2 stars
timmy horne-2 stars
demond stewart-didnā€™t see a profile
i couldnt find anytrhing on doctor but i dont think he was rated highly at all. this should tell us a lot. we havent recruited a quality dt since larry and we lucked out with him. if your guys who are supposed to plug up the middle are no good, your lbā€™s are in trouble bc now they are out in space alone.

Iā€™m waiting to see if they make adjustments, good coaches make changes & utilize their talent to their strong points. Arrogant coaches keep doing the same thing over & over & get fired. I guess weā€™ll see what weā€™ve got.

What was Larryā€™s profile out of high school?

1 Like

larry is the exception, not the rule. if you are recruiting kids with larryā€™s profile and hoping they turn out to be great players, 9 times out of 10, you will be disappointed. this idea that bc some guys outperform their rankings , that rankings dont matter is silly. we need more 3 star plus players. we already have more in half a class than lambert ever did(and thatā€™s with 2, 3 star decommits)

The only thing Iā€™ll counter with changing scheme is if this is the scheme they are recruiting for they have to start installing that scheme now with existing talent so that as new guys come in they are being plugged in with a roster that is familiar with what we are trying to do. Just sucks in the short term. Canā€™t change scheme year to year when recruiting to one specific style.