cmc and nemc to merge

clt says cmc and northeast medical center to merge. this WILL affect the med school in charlotte. nemc is affiliated with duke university.

clt hopes that dubois is on top of this.

Let me tell you how “on top of” our administrators are… we were beat out by a private group for a local law school. The high tech campus in Kannapolis is infested with unc-ch, unc-raleigh and dook. We are the third largest school(soon to be the biggest) and yet are near last in funding. Unc-ch invades Charlotte with a med school idea and Phil D. hides under the bed…this is just of the top of my head…I’m sure there are many more…

[QUOTE=lake49er;216552]Let me tell you how “on top of” our administrators are… Unc-ch invades Charlotte with a med school idea and Phil D. hides under the bed…[/QUOTE]
He didn’t hide under his bed… He openly welcomed “such an opportunity.” I’m hoping that he has a plan to let Chapel Hill use their funding for it and then pry it out of their hands once they’ve built it.

clt is interested how this will play out.

[QUOTE=lake49er;216552]Let me tell you how “on top of” our administrators are… we were beat out by a private group for a local law school. The high tech campus in Kannapolis is infested with unc-ch, unc-raleigh and dook. We are the third largest school(soon to be the biggest) and yet are near last in funding. Unc-ch invades Charlotte with a med school idea and Phil D. hides under the bed…this is just of the top of my head…I’m sure there are many more…[/QUOTE]
we’re actually 4th largest.

we're actually 4th largest.

do you have links to these stats? I would love to look them over.

Off of the UNC System site: Enrollemnt Breakdowns

UNC-R: 29,637 UNC-CH: 26,028 ECU: 20,577 UNCC: 18,916 [I](I thought we were over 20,000...)[/I]
Off of the UNC System site: [URL=http://www.ga.unc.edu/UNC_Schools/profiles/current/appc.pdf][U][B]Enrollemnt Breakdowns[/B][/U][/URL]

The standings may not have changed much since then, but just let it be known that this data is from 5 yrs. ago in 2002.

Thank you ATL, I think we are over ECU, but I’m not certain of that. Either way, if you go to [URL=http://www.ga.unc.edu/UNC_Schools/profiles/current/][B]this[/B][/URL] website click on “Equality of Opportunity”. :biggrin: Obviously that had to be rescinded with the currnet funding situation…

Off of the UNC System site: [URL=http://www.ga.unc.edu/UNC_Schools/profiles/current/appc.pdf][U][B]Enrollemnt Breakdowns[/B][/U][/URL]

I had no idea UNC-G was that large. Perception is a bitch:ohmy:

clt says cmc and northeast medical center to merge.
Charlie Cannon's Plant #13 sure has come a long way . . .

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;216569]we’re actually 4th largest.[/QUOTE]
We are # three as of last year

Charlotte: http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?match=true&collegeId=3080&type=qfs&word=unc%20charlotte

East Carolina:
http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=2497&type=qfs&word=ECU

Other links:
http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/pa/advocacy_notebook/advfaq.htm

Charlotte is projected to have 25,000 students by 2010 and ECU is expected to have 28,000 by 2012, so we’ll probably remain 4th for the foreseeable future.

ECU has more students but nearly 4000 of those dont step foot on campus because of their well established distance education programs. I think today Charlotte has more students on campus than ECU.

[QUOTE=lake49er;216552]Let me tell you how “on top of” our administrators are… we were beat out by a private group for a local law school. The high tech campus in Kannapolis is infested with unc-ch, unc-raleigh and dook. We are the third largest school(soon to be the biggest) and yet are near last in funding. Unc-ch invades Charlotte with a med school idea and Phil D. hides under the bed…this is just of the top of my head…I’m sure there are many more…[/QUOTE]

Actually it’s good thing we’re staying out of Kannapolis. That thing is going to be a complete and utter failure. Your point still stands, however.

[SIZE=2]school newspaper sometime last week put us at 4th with somewehre in the neighborhood of 21,500 students (it was more exact, but i’m ballparking here), and I would like to think that is relatively true facts given that it was distributed by the school.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Why we dont have a medschool, I do not know, being that we have what is it… 3 major hospitals? in downtown, plus Northeast, which is in Concord (many think it is kannapolis, but kannapolis doesnt start until you get on the other side of I-85). I know it requires a lot of money, but if there is talk of it, I think we definately need to get a plan far enough into effect that it prevents other schools from coming in and capitalizing on our market. I’m no expert here - so correct me if I’m wrong, but I see nothing happening other than a bunch of rumors that its in the works.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]As far as our funding - its my understanding that it is becuase we are too well-rounded, if that makes sense. None of our majors really suck, therefore we dont have one that stands out above all others. NCSU gets more funding becuase their vet-school, UNC Asheville for their liberal arts program - but we, we’r just to well rounded, and its our downfall, not that I particularly think that its a bad thing to downfall in, since every school has one somewhere.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]And can anyone give me an update on that whole law rumor that I’ve been hearing - is that done because of Charlotte Law? or was that already established before talk even began?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]school newspaper sometime last week put us at 4th with somewehre in the neighborhood of 21,500 students (it was more exact, but i'm ballparking here), and I would like to think that is relatively true facts given that it was distributed by the school.[/SIZE]

Haha facts being “distributed by the school” and those by our newspaper are two completely different things. The school I would trust, but not our newspaper so much.

Haha facts being "distributed by the school" and those by our newspaper are two completely different things. The school I would trust, but not our newspaper so much.

so you have a point - I’m planning on finding out some info on the school this week involving avg. SAT scores for students here, and some other random stuff that I actually want the truth on - so that will be one I look up.

[QUOTE=pip;216838]Actually it’s good thing we’re staying out of Kannapolis. That thing is going to be a complete and utter failure. Your point still stands, however.[/QUOTE]

The honeymoon is over. They are already arguing over money/infrastructure and the dang place is not even built yet.

[SIZE=2]Why we dont have a medschool, I do not know, being that we have what is it... 3 major hospitals? in downtown, plus Northeast, which is in Concord (many think it is kannapolis, but kannapolis doesnt start until you get on the other side of I-85). I know it requires a lot of money, but if there is talk of it, I think we definately need to get a plan far enough into effect that it prevents other schools from coming in and capitalizing on our market. I'm no expert here - so correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing happening other than a bunch of rumors that its in the works.[/SIZE]

Since you’re a new poster (welcome aboard!), you may have missed the med school news from several weeks ago. Essentially, the federal gov’t told the university system of North Carolina that there IS a doctor shortage and an additional medical school would have to be built in the state. Logically, Charlotte would be the home to a new medical school.

Our university chancellor recognized that the medical school would help propel the school to an even more nationally-known research university (we’ve got about 19 PhD programs already, I believe) and it would be a reason to get the state to increase their funding to our school to an adequate level. So he fought really hard to get us the medical school.

Then the campus in Chapel Hill attempted to create a satellite medical school campus in Charlotte. Chancellor Dubois called this move “outrageous” and demanded an explaination. He argued that the purpose of the university system is to provide a high level of education at all the campuses, not to increase the prestige of one “flagship” campus. Dubois felt that if he allowed Chapel Hill to invade our territory, then he was not doing his job as representive of the school. The chancellor believes that the research institution of UNC Charlotte is too academically developed to continue to “leech” off the success of Chapel Hill any longer.

At least, I think that’s what happened. You might want to double-check me on this:
http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14816