Coach firing time, 2008 season

I just don't know if I see him going. Sure Ok. St. has had recent success in basketball, but not as successful a history as KU's, definitely not in stature. He only leaves if the money/length of contract is very secure (the money sounds right), or coaching for his alma mater is that important to him.

A six million dollar signing bonus sure could make me think twice about it.

I think he goes, and that opens up Cal to KU. I’d love to see that Mempiss meltdown.

[QUOTE=casstommy;313193]A six million dollar signing bonus sure could make me think twice about it.

I think he goes, and that opens up Cal to KU. I’d love to see that Mempiss meltdown.[/QUOTE]

If that happens, I’d rather Majerus goes to Kansas. Imagine the sheer fatness of a Mangino/Majerus combo. Cardiologists in Lawrence would rejoice.

[QUOTE=s9er;313234]If that happens, I’d rather Majerus goes to Kansas. Imagine the sheer fatness of a Mangino/Majerus combo. Cardiologists in Lawrence would rejoice.[/QUOTE]

Tuition and student fees would sky rocket in order to pay both coaches’ health insurance.

A six million dollar signing bonus sure could make me think twice about it.

I think he goes, and that opens up Cal to KU. I’d love to see that Mempiss meltdown.

I had heard the billionaire guy opening his checkbook for roughly $3.5 mil, but never heard anything about a $6 mil signing bonus.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;313279]I had heard the billionaire guy opening his checkbook for roughly $3.5 mil, but never heard anything about a $6 mil signing bonus.[/QUOTE]

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8833789

6M signing bonus…

[URL]http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8833789[/URL]

6M signing bonus…

damn… sorry… never saw that before my initial post… damn… i mean the guy just won a championship… i’d hit it two times and give em the peace sign.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3338164

Trent Johnson is leaving Stanford for LSU.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;313569]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3338164

Trent Johnson is leaving Stanford for LSU.[/QUOTE]

Good for the A10, because it appears Travis Ford may be staying at UMass.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;313571]Good for the A10, because it appears Travis Ford may be staying at UMass.[/QUOTE]

Ford released a press statement earlier today stating that he was not interested in being a candidate for the LSU job.

Don’t be so sure ballin & Chev, as of 2:25 this afternoon, he’s interviewing at Providence.

[QUOTE][B]Travis Ford’s in town, talking with PC[/B]
By Kevin McNamara, Journal Sports Writer

PROVIDENCE – Providence College’s search for a new basketball coach has focused on Massachusetts coach Travis Ford.

Ford, 38, is in Providence today and meeting with athletic director Bob Driscoll. He and his wife just finished a tour of the Dunkin’ Donuts Center.

There are no indications that an agreement between the two sides is complete but this is the strongest sign yet that the four-week search could be nearing an end.

"I have not scheduled any press conference for today.’’ PC associate athletic director Arthur Parks said.

Ford met with Driscoll at the Final Four in San Antonio. On Tuesday, he issued a statement from his office at UMass that said he no longer wished to be considered for the coaching job vacancy at LSU.

“I would like to make clear that I do not want to be considered for the head job at LSU,” Ford said in the statement. “There has been a lot of misinformation circulating about me and the job at LSU. I feel that it is necessary to state that I do not want to be considered for the job.”

Ford’s interest in other jobs was not addressed, however. UMass finished 25-11 this past season in Ford’s third year at the school and the Minutemen lost the NIT championship game to Ohio State, 92-85.[/QUOTE]
[URL=http://www.projo.com/pc/content/projo_20080409_ford.497a404d.html][B][U]UMass coach Travis Ford visiting PC[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal
[URL=http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/hoops/archives/2008/04/pc_and_travis_f.html][B][U]Travis Ford’s in town, talking with PC[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal Sports Blog
[URL=http://www.projo.com/pc/content/sp_bkc_pc09_04-09-08_NM9N21G_v21.381971f.html][B][U]UMass’ coach Ford latest name rumored for PC job[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal

I guess he wants to follow in his boy Pitino’s footsteps.

On another note, many think Gillepsie is going to leave Kentucky for Oklahoma State and Calipari will go to Kentucky.

The question is does Ford want the Kentucky job now if Gillespie leaves. He can’t leave PC hanging, but then PC is down to about #6 on their list now. They had serious interest in Craig Robinson at Brown but he grabbed the Oregon State job. Brown had three interviews over the weekend, Oregon State, Providence and Rice. He took the first offer.

Ah, but your quote only proves what I said.

I never said he was staying at UMass.

Okay, Nineballin posted that he’d be staying.

ESPN is reporting the LSU job will be taken by Stanford’s Trent Johnson…

EPSN.com: Reports: Johnson reaches verbal agreement to coach LSU

BTW, I’m scratching my head about Travis Ford. No way the PC job is better than what he has going at UMass. Hmmm…

ESPN is reporting the LSU job will be taken by Stanford's Trent Johnson...

EPSN.com: Reports: Johnson reaches verbal agreement to coach LSU

BTW, I’m scratching my head about Travis Ford. No way the PC job is better than what he has going at UMass. Hmmm…

Really? Won’t the money and t.v. exposure be better at PC? I hope he stays at Umass, but the Providence job is a decent stepping stone (e.g. Pitino, Rick Barnes, Pete Gillen). I would think a successful stint makes him a much better candidate for a premiere job like Kentucky (if that’s what he is eventually shooting for). He’ll get better recruits too. On the flip side, he’ll start out bottom rung to the other league powers, so it won’t be easy. But just look at the fan support at Umass this year, it was pitiful. That’s gotta be a real negative to sticking around.

The UMass team banquet is tonight. Ford hasn’t jumped… yet.

[URL=http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/hoops/archives/2008/04/no_pc_decision.html][B][U]No PC Decision tonight[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal College Hoops Blog
[URL=http://www.projo.com/pc/content/sp_bkc_pc10_04-10-08_PS9NF7I_v10.366718b.html][B][U]Ford could be on board as Friars’ next coach today[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal

[QUOTE=9erken;313623]Really? Won’t the money and t.v. exposure be better at PC? I hope he stays at Umass, but the Providence job is a decent stepping stone (e.g. Pitino, Rick Barnes, Pete Gillen). I would think a successful stint makes him a much better candidate for a premiere job like Kentucky (if that’s what he is eventually shooting for). He’ll get better recruits too. On the flip side, he’ll start out bottom rung to the other league powers, so it won’t be easy. But just look at the fan support at Umass this year, it was pitiful. That’s gotta be a real negative to sticking around.[/QUOTE]
The Big East is a whole different animal now than when Pitino coached at PC. I just can’t see the Friars becoming a perennial player in the upper half of the BE under the current 16 team set-up.

I do agree with you about the fan support at UMass this season. It’s like the fans didn’t figure it out until the team was actually playing in Madison Square Garden in the NIT finals. As far as recruiting, that’s quite a group he has coming in next season with top 150 recruit David Gibbs and Wake Forest transfer Anthony Gurley. With returnees Ricky Harris and Chris Lowe, UMass will definitely be one of the top teams in the A-10 in 2008-09 and should contend for the league title and an NCAA berth. That would provide Ford with a much better stepping stone to another job than PC.

FWIW, PC has really botched their search. Couldn’t entice alum Jim Larranaga with $1M/year to leave George Mason and the Colonial, then dragged their feet on getting back to Brown’s Craig Robinson and watched him take the Oregon State job.

Anyway, my 2 cents…

[QUOTE=run49er;313698]The Big East is a whole different animal now than when Pitino coached at PC. I just can’t see the Friars becoming a perennial player in the upper half of the BE under the current 16 team set-up.

I do agree with you about the fan support at UMass this season. It’s like the fans didn’t figure it out until the team was actually playing in Madison Square Garden in the NIT finals. As far as recruiting, that’s quite a group he has coming in next season with top 150 recruit David Gibbs and Wake Forest transfer Anthony Gurley. With returnees Ricky Harris and Chris Lowe, UMass will definitely be one of the top teams in the A-10 in 2008-09 and should contend for the league title and an NCAA berth. That would provide Ford with a much better stepping stone to another job than PC.

FWIW, PC has really botched their search. Couldn’t entice alum Jim Larranaga with $1M/year to leave George Mason and the Colonial, then dragged their feet on getting back to Brown’s Craig Robinson and watched him take the Oregon State job.

Anyway, my 2 cents…[/QUOTE]

PC is a tough job. Providence isn’t exactly the most enticing place for a basketball player and there is absolutely no in-state talent. They were lucky to get Ryan Gomes because UConn didn’t recruit him. The days of Austin Croshere, God Shamgod and Jamel Thomas are long gone. The small private schools are going to have a tough time competing in the current Big East, at least St. John’s, Seton Hall, DePaul & Marquette have fertile recruiting grounds, PC doesn’t.

From the Springfield Republican

The Friars' job offers Big East exposure, but also a formidable challenge. In Welsh's 10 years, [b]Providence won only one Big East tournament game and reached the NCAA tournament only twice, losing in the first round in 2001 and 2004.

In Welsh’s final four years, Providence was 59-60, with one National Invitational Tournament appearance (in 2007), no NCAA bids and a 23-43 Big East record.[/b]

The 2007-08 team was 15-16 overall and 6-12 in the Big East, where it finished tied for 12th. The Friars beat Connecticut twice, but lost 11 of their last 14 games.

Link: Masslive.com

So prior to the BE expansion during Welsh’s tenure, PC made it to the Big Dance twice. Since then, no NCAA and only one NIT appearance. Hmmm…