Coach firing time, 2008 season

McKillop to Marquette?

[QUOTE=mineshaft;311882]McKillop to Marquette?[/QUOTE]

His name is on this list from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

JSOnline.com: The Hot List

Former UNLV coach Bill Bayno, currently a Portland Trail Blazers assistant, will be named the Loyola Marymount coach tomorrow.

[URL=http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-bkcrep4apr04,1,4068966.story][B][U]Loyola Marymount to name Bill Bayno men’s basketball coach[/U][/B][/URL], Los Angeles Times

In WCC-related news, Ex-Dons coach suing school…

ESPN.com: Former San Francisco coach Evans is suing school after firing

And Billy Grier turns down the lure of the PAC-10 and Oregon State to stay put at San Diego. Saint Mary’s Randy Bennett also said no to the Beavers. Hmmm…

Texas Southern fills their vacancy…

Sportsline.com: Texas Southern to name former Missouri assistant Harvey head coach

[QUOTE=run49er;312117]Saint Mary’s Randy Bennett also said no to the Beavers. Hmmm…[/QUOTE]
So much we could do with that comment, run. :shades:

[QUOTE=HP49er;312136]So much we could do with that comment, run. :shades:[/QUOTE]

Yeah something must not smell right in beaver country.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3329152

Mike Montgomery takes over at rival Cal.

Texas assistant coach Ken McDonald will be introduced as the new Western Kentucky coach this afternoon. He was formerly an assistant at WKU before going to Texas.

Parrish is reporting ex-Cal coach Ben Braun to Rice and Brown’s Craig Robinson (AKA Barack Obama’s brother-in-law) to Oregon State.

ESPN is reporting that Oklahoma State will offer alum and current KU coach Bill Self $3.5M per year! Money must be no big thing at OSU at they are paying Sean Sutton $2.7M to go away. Geez!!!

ESPN.com: Report: Oklahoma State preparing to offer job to Self

I just don’t know if I see him going. Sure Ok. St. has had recent success in basketball, but not as successful a history as KU’s, definitely not in stature. He only leaves if the money/length of contract is very secure (the money sounds right), or coaching for his alma mater is that important to him.

[QUOTE=run49er;312925]ESPN is reporting that Oklahoma State will offer alum and current KU coach Bill Self $3.5M per year! Money must be no big thing at OSU at they are paying Sean Sutton $2.7M to go away. Geez!!!

ESPN.com: Report: Oklahoma State preparing to offer job to Self[/QUOTE]

OSU has a mega-backer, I can’t remember his name but I do know he can write a check that will bounce the bank. update: T Boone Pickens

The Big 12 is dying for a championship and it looks like they think Self is the man to do it.

He may be, I don’t think he’ll do it this year, but he’s got a better chance than 99% of the coaches in the country.

I’m pretty sure of all the teams in the Big 12, only Kansas and Ok State have national championships in basketball, and I think OSU has one more than Kansas, but I may be mistaken.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;312938]The Big 12 is dying for a championship and it looks like they think Self is the man to do it.

He may be, I don’t think he’ll do it this year, but he’s got a better chance than 99% of the coaches in the country.

I’m pretty sure of all the teams in the Big 12, only Kansas and Ok State have national championships in basketball, and I think OSU has one more than Kansas, but I may be mistaken.[/QUOTE]
PB, KU and OSU both have 2 – Jayhawks in 1952 and 1988 and Cowboys in 1945 and 1946.

Marquette to promote assistant coach Buzz Williams…

JSOnline.com: Marquette hires from within

And now we will have to wait and see if Self takes the money and runs back to his alma mater!

Another Buzz turns down Toledo…

ToledoBlade.com: Peterson pulls his name from UT basketball coach candidacy

In doing so, Peterson may open the door for ex-Saint Louis coach Brad Soderberg to return to the head coaching ranks, which will probably include the services of his son, Kramer, who averaged almost 25 ppg this past season as a senior at St. Charles (Mo.) West H.S.

While Travis Ford insists he’s staying put at UMass, things are getting interesting in Baton Rouge. The Advocate is reporting that, in addition to Ford, other candidates for the LSU job are assistant/interim Butch Pierre, Johnny Jones of North Texas, Oliver Purnell of Clemson, and Trent Johnson of Stanford. Film at 11… :popcorn:

In other vacancy news, Billy Gillispie’s name is being mentioned for Oklahoma State if Bill Self stays at Kansas. I’m sure that would make the Kentucky fans happy! :tongue:

While Travis Ford insists he's staying put at UMass, things are getting interesting in Baton Rouge. [I]The Advocate[/I] is reporting that, in addition to Ford, other candidates for the LSU job are [B]assistant/interim Butch Pierre[/B]

The best choice for LSU, IMHO. Even when he was an asst. coach for Charlotte, his love affair with the state of Louisiana was obvious … at least by the way he recruited.

He’ll get a big-time head coaching gig sooner or later. LSU has nothing to lose by giving him an opportunity.

Pierre: I’m ‘perfect fit’ for job

Letter: Give Pierre chance at coaching job

[QUOTE=run49er;312943]PB, KU and OSU both have 2 – Jayhawks in 1952 and 1988 and Cowboys in 1945 and 1946.[/QUOTE]

Now Kansas has one more, and what a great way to get it.

It is never a bad thing to see Mempiss lose.