College Football Playoff Expansion

Are the votes weighted?

I see 6 Haves versus 5 have nots…Washington State being the current wildcard given its peculiar situation. Unless, of course, as NWA noted, it’s somehow weighted…which wouldn’t surprise in the least if that’s how the greedy bastards designed it. But, the fear that the PAC is gone (perhaps) means it’s a split vote, 5v5. I can see why the Haves want to reconsider it…they never imagined a world in which a P5 would suddenly collapse.

The current 6 team model is only in place for two years 2024 and 2025. I can see them changing it but wow what a greedy move.

That’s just it, all of the social media outlets are saying it is going to be changed for 2024, not 2026. And the prevailing attitude is “we can’t let the G5 have that much access for one single season”.

Reminds me a whole lot about the attitudes about working from home before the pandemic. Not to open that can of worms, but the truth back in 2019 was that most office jobs didn’t require you to be there. And in this case, letting the G5 have a single additional slot in the CFP wouldn’t ruin anything. In fact, it would help promote the health and viability of the entire FBS division.

But those greedy bastards won’t share a single cent if they can help it. The only reason the G5 access existed in the first place was to prevent lawsuits, including antitrust suits. Those magnanimous entitled jackasses were just buying off the bottom half of the division with a single NY day bowl slot and one paltry revenue share from the entire pot to divide however many ways.

If they would get their heads out of their asses, they would see that giving the G5 schools 2 slots over a 5-7 year period will promote so much health in the game. More parity with talent and resources will increase competition and broaden the appeal of the game, increasing fan engagement.

But nope. We are going to end up with a single 32 or so team league of all the power brokers and they will gobble up every second of media exposure and every cent of money they can. Not one crumb for anyone else.

I hate to say it, but I’ve discussed this with a lot of people, and that’s what the average fan says they want. I agree with your assessment, but if we aren’t kidding ourselves, it’s already basically pro sports light.

Fwiw, no fan of any “big” program seems to think they will be left out either. They also don’t care if the wake forests and vandys of the world get left out. It’s not about colleges and regional rivalries anymore, it’s NFL Minor Leagues now.

1 Like

@ninerwupass has repeatedly made the point that there is a severe error in the estimation of the fanbases. The network execs and ADs think that the fans of exiled schools will just migrate over to one of the final 32. I strongly suspect that is not the case. The ties that most G5 and fans of the P5 schools that will get squeezed out have with their programs are stronger than that, and cannot be replaced.

The same notion is ultimately what kick started our football program - when CD Spangler or whichever of those old farts said in that meeting in 2007 or so that we didn’t need a program, and said if our students wanted to watch football they could go to UNC or NC State, it pissed us off and set us firmly on the course to doing our own program. Sorenson wrote a great column about it.

It just doesn’t work like that. College fanbases, especially marginalized ones, are by and large, intensely loyal, no matter how much they gripe about their plight. And while most of them are smaller, when you effectively push out around 100 of the 133 or so FBS programs from your super conference party, you’re going to have 100 fanbases aligned in telling you to shove it…

4 Likes

Say Chapel Hill is the lone program to make the super league from NC. Think the states fans will suddenly all decide to be Heel fans? Nope.

The hubris is thinking they can make this a prosports system. The reality is I just will care even less than I do now about those programs in reality it might be better for the rest of us to go back to playing college sports instead of the pseudo pro thing that’s happening

2 Likes

If 32 teams leave, so it’s less than 1 per state, I hope all the leftovers reorganize into regional leagues and get back to playing college sports that way, instead of this insane money grab. In NC, UNC might seriously be the only program to make the cut, leaving Duke, Wake, NC State, Charlotte, ECU & App behind. That’s the beginnings of a really fun traditional college league. Pair up with some left behinds in SC and VA and let’s go.

What part of any of this is a surprise when you think about it? If anything, in hindsight, it’s a wonder that it took 40 years to get here. I guess the money finally piled up high enough to break traditions.

To me this whole regional fantasy league thing sounds a lot like hopping into the time machine and “fixing” the timeline so that we never close the first football program down, and then today we’d be in the SEC. It’s fun to dream, but reality is still in front of us. We have to find a way to move forward and at least for the foreseeable future that won’t be regionalization.

1 Like

I don’t see us getting into the SEC ever. Those schools will mainly be in the “haves” superconference. And the ones that don’t make it will likely be too far away to bother with.

When, not if this happens, there will be a huge gap between the haves and have nots. Make no mistake about it… So the jockeying for position won’t make much sense anymore. Not in the face of reduced TV money, increased costs, declining fan interest and student athlete health and well being. Getting people back in the stadium / arena will take on increased importance financially, as well as from a PR / reputation standpoint, and regional games promote that.

At that point, it does make sense. The PAC 4 are just the beginning.

Back on topic:

https://twitter.com/AuburnBlazer/status/1693994677018743282

https://twitter.com/sportsrapport/status/1693628093263450283

This entire thread is completely on topic. One reply says it takes a unanimous vote to change the format, so the SEC and B1G’s only leverage would be to split off entirely.

If the top 64 programs or so (I don’t think 32 is feasible) we’re to split off, the remaining 80+ FBS schools could either drop down to FCS or formulate a new division with the top FCS programs and would be able to put a VERY attractive product to the involved schools communities and to the general public.

If we could combine that with more regional conferences that would also be a huge advantage.

This scenario would not bother me one bit.

Why?

If the current situation continues to deepen the divide between the haves and have nots we are never going to be in a position to compete for the CFB title.

We COULD be in a position to compete for the FCS (or whatever you want to call the new version of it) title.

I do think that idea needs to wait until absolutely necessary.

We need to play out the string and see where we land in the future.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we can land at the big boy table.

1 Like

clt says we currently have a chance. go undefeated and win aac. we are likely in the playoffs

1 Like

If the line is at 64 we are screwed. That is a full relegation to a “D2” level.

We need the superconference to be as small as possible. Make no mistake. That way the relegated division maintains the most amount of relevancy. If there is only an average of like 0.60 - 0.80 teams per U.S. state (30-40 total) in the superconference, then whatever you call the leftovers (I would call it actual college football), will still be something people care about. If you are somewhere around 1.28 teams per state (64 teams total), that means all of the populus states are going to have a minimum of 2 teams in it, and at that point, that’s all that will matter in the grand discussion because you will have an in state rival in that superconference. Every other team and its fanbase can F off into obscurity.

And let’s not argue about “well what if the cutoff is at like 80, etc”. There is no way that the state of NC is getting 6 or 7 teams into that superconference, which is what we would need in order to be considered.

If it’s going to happen, I want the superconference to be as few teams as possible. Let them have their NFL minor league, and let us have college football back.

2 Likes

I think NA is spot on. You have a 30 team superconference we may shake out fine. If it’s 60-80, we may as well shut it down. No one will care about us winning in the JV league. It would also presumably destroy March Madness, imo, the best event in sports.

1 Like

It’s not going to be 60 some teams it will be 30/34 teams and those top programs want to consolidate it at small as possible and keep the cash themselves, with the biggest brands for their tv partners. It’s basically recreating the NFL with college brands. It’s what media think the public want. Personally I think they are way off. No one wants the NFL LITE - they want college sports. I think it will fail, but who knows.

AFC: SEC
NFC: B10

Simple.

My only hope is IF they do this the rest of us tell them to get bent and NOT schedule them in anything. Let some of those brands enjoy losing… a lot in all their sports.

My only hope is IF they do this the rest of us tell them to get bent and NOT schedule them in anything. Let some of those brands enjoy losing… a lot in all their sports.

Preach!! :muscle:

I’d rather do home and homes with Wake, Duke, ECU, App and maybe even State than let CHeat buy a home game against us to prop up their record in their so called superconference.

If something like this happens and we start scheduling like that, you’d better believe we will need that 30k+ stadium. We will sell a lot of tickets to those games. We will make the buy game money back at the gate and have a better game day environment for it.

• nope
  • maybe
  • absolutely
0 voters

clt asks if you would watch the super conference cfb and mbb championships

The only problem is those super conference buy games will pay out about 3x more money than they do now to programs like ours. They are already betting we will take the cash. Probably a sound bet.

My understanding is if and when consolidation is complete, there won’t be any more buy games since the super league members will be playing only one another.