College Football Playoff Expansion

This is really similar to the setup that I and countless others have pitched. I like it a lot

January 20th for the NCG is I think later than it’s ever been though.

I have heard at least two national level commentators of good reputation say that it’s the on campus games in the first round that will be what forces expansion to 16.

The teams that have a bye and miss out on having a home game are gonna be super jealous of those on campus games.

That’s big time revenue, exposure and fun they are going to miss out on.

Those on campus games are going to be epic draws.

It wouldn’t shock me to see schools have lotteries for student tickets and to keep dorms and dining open until after that weekend for the participants.

For a college town, that’s going to mean big business for the economy. That’s found money right there. The smart ones will have outdoor watch parties for overflow.

It’s going to be huge.

1 Like

I like the new format but it will be expensive for fans to travel to three neutral sites games assuming their team advances.

1 Like

Those are fantastic points Gassman. I think that opening weekend is going to rival the opening round of the basketball tournament.

I generally agree with the offset of expense and travel for the fans, but I also think that the NCG is becoming like the Super Bowl in terms of attendance, etc. There’s even a 10 day lag from the semifinals round.

I agree NinerGreene.

When we make the playoff I’m going to have to make a decision on which game to go too (assuming I can get tickets!).

I will likely try to go to the first round game.

That will be the most fun and it’s a guaranteed game.

clt says we better hurry up and expand the rich for our on campus game next year

They better put in a contingency contract for temporary seating!!!

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1689030045954646016

There are 10 commissioners currently and 9 even if the PAC folds.

I am beyond tired of a few of them thinking they run college football.

Time to sue if they try this. Justified reliance. Breach of Contract. Specific performance. Any other theory the lawyers can come up with.

Those 6 AQs are the best thing that has ever happened to CFP.

if these last years have taught us anything, it’s “follow the money” more games, more teams, more money, TV money etc…, all that means more money to the schools and conferences. I read an article that said expanding to 12 teams generated at a min an extra 2B every year. The At large fan base will travel in case they beat one of the top dogs. I want to say I was there, I will travel

It’s just inevitable at this point that it’ll ultimately be 30-35 haves and if you aren’t in those 2/3 leagues you’ll always get left out. That’s where this was always going to lead.

1 Like

If we could get “the top 35” programs split off into their own island with NO ASSOCIATION with the rest of us; that means no money games no out of conference easy wins for them, no unbalanced scheduling where they get to only have 4 road games, no basketball games with us and no NCAA basketball tournament with us, no competition with us PERIOD. (and that includes every sport PERIOD ( you don’t get to have the best of both worlds) I would bet the 300 plus remaining D1 programs could and would be just fine.

The problem I’m gonna have is if these greedy programs are allowed to do something like put their Olympics in other programs, stay in the same tournament structure, etc.

If they want to split off then split off.

Begone!!!

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1691427992008790016

2 Likes

Aresco is a strong voice for us. Much respect.

There is a simple answer to this. Doubt it would happen.

Collapse all of FBS into 8 conferences. Presumably that’s a P4 and a G4

Expand the playoff to 16.

EACH of the 8 conferences get an autobid for their conference championship winner.

8 at large bids.

That gives EVERY team a chance to make the playoff. Period.

And 8 at large bids to take care of the higher ranked teams that could not win their championship.

I don’t see how anyone could complain about that.

Also, if there was an autobid per conference you might see some natural self selection to declutter the larger conferences so that some teams might have a better chance to make the playoff.

Folks like me have been advocating for a similar system based on the existing 10 FBS conferences for years (eg 10 autobids+6 at large, and lesser variations). The simple truth is that the power leagues don’t want to share the revenue pie with the G5 leagues, so they won’t agree to that many autobids.

That’s why should the PAC collapse and be no more, (or to a lesser extent even if it has to reform with a bunch of G5 teams in it), maintaining the six unaffiliated auto bids for the 2024 and 2025 season would be the greatest parity influencer in the last several decades. If you think about it in concept it’s the closest to anything approaching a meritocracy that college football has allowed since all of this consolidation began.

The G5 conferences should file an antitrust lawsuit against the power conferences if they are frozen out of the college football playoffs.

2 Likes

Explain this: do the G5 commissioners not get a vote? If they do, then why in the hell would they vote to change the format to disadvantage themselves? And if they don’t get a vote, then why invite/ involve them like they are doing?

It makes no sense.

1 Like

Seriously, flowing up on my question, which of the following groups would make that call, and then tell me why any of them would vote against the G5?

Cause I just don’t see it. There are too many G5 members.

The Company
CFP Administration, LLC, manages the administration operations of the College Football Playoff. Members of the company are the 10 FBS conferences (American Athletic, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Pac-12, Southeastern and Sun Belt) and the University of Notre Dame.

So here you have reps from every conference. Nope. None of them should be stupid enough to change the CFP.

CFP Board of Managers
(11 university presidents and chancellors)

The company’s business, property and affairs are governed by the Board of Managers. The board develops, reviews and approves annual budgets, policies and operating guidelines. It also appoints and removes officers of the company. It has authority over all aspects of the company’s operations.

The 11 University presidents current consist of: Penn St, WKU, Clemson, WVU, Troy, Notre Dame, Miss St, Washington St, Buffalo, SMU, and UNLV.

I see 6 presidents with every reason to vote against disenfranchising their universities.

So explain it to me like I’m stupid. Why is it a given that the 6 autobids are going to be stripped for 2024?