Conference affiliation

This thread is no longer about Lembo.

I think Judy would take CUSA if it presented itself.

However, I think we could easily end up being FBS in a new conference or Big East as well. Depends on where the dominos fall, I guess.

Both Villanova and Rhode Island may be leaving CAA Football for other conferences. But if Nova joins Big East Football, thatā€™s going to end the fantasy of a BCS invitation for anyone else, at least until the Big East is raided again.

NA are you on crack? CUSA not a good league in the late '90ā€™s? Do you remember us, Cincy, & the Ville? Memphis, DePaul, Marquette, UAB had good runs. It was awesome. I was never complaining about the conf.

I wouldnā€™t mind going back to CUSA if Temple goes along as well. Temple, UMass, Charlotte, UAB, Houston, and Tulsa make for a decent basketball conference. Itā€™s not quite as strong as the A10, but itā€™s not terrible either. Most of those schools have better followings than most of the A10 schools.

Itā€™d be an upgrade in football (obviously), baseball, and pretty much every other sport, plus itā€™d give us an in state rival and we would be in a league that fits us better.

Ideally (assuming the Big East is a long shot), Iā€™d like to see the CAA schools that want to move up, Temple, and the eastern CUSA schools form a conference, but a lot of stuff would have to happen for that to occur.

Iā€™ll vote for this. You left out Memphis State.

Iā€™m not saying is going to happen, but going with the scenario presented:

FBS Football is a huge deal. A million dollar big deal. CUSA football is way better than FCS football, or the Sunbelt or whatever. A10 basketball is better than CUSA basketball, but not like Big East or Big 10 better. The A10 is much worse than CUSA in baseball. If you wouldnā€™t take a minor step back in basketball to be in a conference which is exceptionally better at football and baseball you are crazy. Football alone would bring in millions more $ which could be used to improve student life, build new dorms, and even better our basketball facilities.

I meant to say Memphis, not UMass. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing UMass in that conference either though. Iā€™ve heard before they may be looking to move up to FBS, but I donā€™t know if that was anything more than rumors.

[quote=ā€œpunkrockcowboy, post:47, topic:23958ā€]Iā€™m not saying is going to happen, but going with the scenario presented:

FBS Football is a huge deal. A million dollar big deal. CUSA football is way better than FCS football, or the Sunbelt or whatever. A10 basketball is better than CUSA basketball, but not like Big East or Big 10 better. The A10 is much worse than CUSA in baseball. If you wouldnā€™t take a minor step back in basketball to be in a conference which is exceptionally better at football and baseball you are crazy. Football alone would bring in millions more $ which could be used to improve student life, build new dorms, and even better our basketball facilities.[/quote]This.

Itā€™d be one thing if we left the A10 for the Sunbelt where basketball is TERRIBLE. CUSA is a decent (top 10) basketball conference and can easily get 2-3 teams in the tournament per year.

I will disagree that football would bring in millions more that could be used for what you listed. Itā€™d likely be kept in the athletics department improving facilities, paying for scholarships, etc. Weā€™d be very lucky to make enough money to do more than that.

We havenā€™t been to the tournament since we left CUSA, so its not like the A-10 is helping us get there.

I think CUSA will be our likely home 10 years from now. I just donā€™t see us getting a Big East bid, not yet anyway. But I would be really excited about CUSA, slight step down in bball but improvement for just about all other sports.

we are a basketball school at this point in time. Soon we will be a football school. CUSA isnā€™t a horrible conference for basketball. Itā€™s a better conference for all our other sports, would be a no brainer in my opinion.

I foresee a new conference being created among some current BCS schools and a few FCS schools with aspirations of moving up. No need to speculate on which schools these may be (although I have an idea and a wish-list) because no one knows whatā€™s going to shake down in the next 5-10 years, but there are a number of schools like us, with relatively new football programs, that are going to want a piece of the big money pie. If we could get in a new 12-14 team regional conference with the likes of ECU, GA State, ODU, VCU, Richmond, etc etc that would be mutually beneficial to all schools for football/basketball and acceptable for all others, I really feel like that would be our best chance to move up.

I think it would be the worst possible scenario for us. Far flung with no rivalries, impossible travel, horrible basketball, and itā€™s a dead end destination. Join CUSA and thatā€™s it. Thatā€™s where we end up. The program will not grow from there. If we went there, and again, I think the entire idea is just wishful thinking on so many levels, my interest in our sports programs will drop to an all time low. I have no desire to play ECU, Tulane, UTEP, SMU, Rice, UCF, Houston, etc. Get ready to spend half the year in Texas. ???

And hereā€™s the bigger issue all the wannabes are missing - there are no openings. They have 12 teams. Whoā€™s leaving this powerhouse to open the for us? Memphis? Great. There goes the tiny bit of hoops cache the league has.

I think it far more likely that we join the CAA (or whatever its called then) for football, and then eventually, there will be a new east coast based FBS conference or the BE will split and form a true 12 team football league, which will open opportunities down the line.

I think it would be the worst possible scenario for us. Far flung with no rivalries, impossible travel, horrible basketball, and itā€™s a dead end destination. Join CUSA and thatā€™s it. Thatā€™s where we end up. The program will not grow from there. If we went there, and again, I think the entire idea is just wishful thinking on so many levels, my interest in our sports programs will drop to an all time low. I have no desire to play ECU, Tulane, UTEP, SMU, Rice, UCF, Houston, etc. Get ready to spend half the year in Texas. ???[/quote]

Jfick = DOBA
With a down economy for the foreseeable future, schools will begin to cut costs which will regionalize conferences like CUSA. Look for a blend of the SE schools like Troy, GSU, UCF, Charlotte, UAB, ECU, App St, etc. We will never be in UTEPs or Riceā€™s all sports league. CUSA as it exists now is on borrowed time. The SE teams will blend with the Sun Belt eventually, and the Texas teams will go their way.

And before anyone knocks Troy or UCF, check out their football stadiums.

The BE is not going to happen. Ever.

No rivalries, but weā€™d be playing ECU yearly in football?

Impossible travel, yet we get on a plane for nearly every game we play now in the A10.

Dead end destination but Memphis, ECU, and UCF all get mentioned before us when it comes to big east expansion on every place outside of this board.

Likely scenario for us to even join the CUSA would be western teams go off to the new WAC/MWC shuffle, not to mention if the Big 12 decides not to stay at 10 teams and the domino effect that would have.

I think it would be the worst possible scenario for us. Far flung with no rivalries, impossible travel, horrible basketball, and itā€™s a dead end destination. Join CUSA and thatā€™s it. Thatā€™s where we end up. The program will not grow from there. If we went there, and again, I think the entire idea is just wishful thinking on so many levels, my interest in our sports programs will drop to an all time low. I have no desire to play ECU, Tulane, UTEP, SMU, Rice, UCF, Houston, etc. Get ready to spend half the year in Texas. ???[/quote]

Jfick = DOBA
With a down economy for the foreseeable future, schools will begin to cut costs which will regionalize conferences like CUSA. Look for a blend of the SE schools like Troy, GSU, UCF, Charlotte, UAB, ECU, App St, etc. We will never be in UTEPs or Riceā€™s all sports league. CUSA as it exists now is on borrowed time. The SE teams will blend with the Sun Belt eventually, and the Texas teams will go their way.

And before anyone knocks Troy or UCF, check out their football stadiums.

The BE is not going to happen. Ever.[/quote]
I agree with that too. By the time we are really ready to be in a BCS conference the Big East may not even exist anymore and if it does it will be completely redesigned. We are a relatively young school, and our fan base expects to just start football and be BCSā€¦no wayā€¦we are way more likely to get a Big East bid if we spend 5 years in CUSA than if we spend 5 years in CAA. The only reason we even have a chance at Big East at the moment is our media market, plain and simple.

No rivalries, but weā€™d be playing ECU yearly in football?[/quote]

Is this a serious response? I canā€™t believe it is.

Impossible travel, yet we get on a plane for nearly every game we play now in the A10.

Itā€™s not the team, itā€™s the fans. Do you plan on spending 1-2 mos in Texas every year? I donā€™t think any of our fans will. If you want football to work, we have to at least have a few games every year that our fans can travel to BY CAR.

Dead end destination but Memphis, ECU, and UCF all get mentioned before us when it comes to big east expansion on every place outside of this board.

ECU only gets mentioned by their fans. Memphis is the only real viable candidate to leave (and thatā€™s because they play in an NBA arena and draw like crazy), and I already said what that would do to CUSA if they left.

Likely scenario for us to even join the CUSA would be western teams go off to the new WAC/MWC shuffle, not to mention if the Big 12 decides not to stay at 10 teams and the domino effect that would have.

If this happens, then youā€™ve backed into the scenario I said - a new east coast based FBS league. I guess youā€™re making the point that it could be called CUSA. Fine. The name isnā€™t the issue, itā€™s the makeup of the league. People at other schools used to complain about the ACC being an NC league. I donā€™t want to joing a Texas league as a school in Charlotte North Carolina. Itā€™s 1,000 miles+ to most of those schools. How do you think weā€™ll get treated in a league where weā€™re 1,000 miles away from the largest voting block of members? We were treated like bastard children in the old CUSA and it was a good mix of east coast and midwest teams. This will be worse.

Believe it. We donā€™t have a rivalry. And if you want to bring up Davidson fine. Play that card. A cross state rivalry with ECU would smack that in the face. Iā€™d love to put what they put up in our new stadium every saturday and then have a tough sell game.

What a10 games are you traveling to by car now? Richmond? ECU is closer by a 100 miles and Marshall is the same distance. When we move to FBS we are a football school more so than a basketball school. Traveling on a saturday is way easier than traveling on a Wed night.

so is it a dead end or is it not? Why did you not say anything about UCF?

For us to get in, someone has to leave. more than likely it will be a utep, houston, rice or SMU. The cards arenā€™t shuffling on the east coast. When at least 2 of those 4 book, then I would love to fill in one of the gaps. I would like for another drivable team to join too, but no idea who that would even be.

oh and we are bastard children now in the a10.