Conference Realignment (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1560257711232536576

Yeah CFB is fucking screwed. $10 fucking billion, and not done expanding. Fucking hell.

Last month, Action Network reported the Big Ten would expand beyond 16 schools and was targeting Notre Dame, along with Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal from the Pac-12. Those plans have not changed, sources said this week.

Regardless of whether Notre Dame joins the Big Ten or remains independent, the league still wants to add more Pac-12 schools to help reduce potential travel concerns for USC and UCLA, sources said.

The PAC 12 is dead. Viva the MWC I guess.

2 Likes

I stopped caring about college sports at the right time

This has all been a slow motion death spiral since the schools / leagues won the right to individually negotiate media rights in court a few decades ago.

That was never in the best interests of the sport.

The entirety of FBS football should have its media rights bundled and sold out to competitive bidders with sufficient revenue sharing (both between conferences and with the players) to maintain some semblance of competitive balance. These schools wanna be more like the pros, and that’s how some of the pro leagues do it. For a reason. It’s placing the health of the game above individual greed.

1 Like

I hate it for basketball because that’s my excuse to do something during cold miserable times of the year. Fall is full of festivals and great weather I can, and already do, replace football with.

Any thoughts on what they are waiting for with regard to the additional P12 schools?

Do we think they were waiting until these negotiations where completed and they got the elevator increases in place?

My guess is Notre Dame.

There are 5 schools mentioned including them. I don’t think they add 5. Odd #. Most likely they add 4 and they need to know if ND will be one of the 4.

I guess the interesting question is which of the 4 PAC schools gets cut if ND says yes and they only add 4? Or do they go to 6, and then who is the 6th?

I still think networks are way overplaying their hand here.

3 Likes

If there is a sixth, I’m going to guess Utah

And your right. It must be Notre Dame.

If they announce Big 10 membership, then remaining dominoes are going to fall and it’s going to be a free for all among the other conferences and schools.

My gut says most of the remaining PAC schools with go with the B12

Official announcement:

If I am Washington State, Oregon State and some of the other PAC12 schools I’m begging the conference to add San Diego State and other schools right now so the conference doesn’t completely die like the old Southwest Conference.

clt says having nbc and peacock confirms ND to big10

Was just thinking that could be a big factor.

I just want the AAC to hold together until the ACC shakeup happens. We need to keep Memphis and SMU around til then.

1 Like
1 Like

No more “Ooooeey Poooey”?

That’s correct!