Conference Realignment (Part 1)

1 Like

Fake but kinda funny. Trolling Utes so hard.

More gossip today that the deadlock in the PAC 12 that is causing some schools wanting to look at the Big 12 is unequal revenue sharing. The schools that will get smaller shares are of course opposing, and looking elsewhere. And the schools in favor of it are still only willing to sign a 3 year GOR.

I post about this a lot because despite this being on the other side of the country, I get the sense that this is still potentially very impactful for Charlotteā€™s future.

2 Likes

Fake but could there be some logic there?

They already have Utah with BYU.

SDSU opens up another market and guarantees that late night time slot the TV networks love.

If SDSU becomes a P5 and budget and NIL are roughly even, can Utah actually out recruit SDSU??? I would find that hard to believe long term.

1 Like

I think SDSU with P5 money could become a powerhouse.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t rule it out since the its been stated a lot that the arizona schools really want to continue their presence in california for recruits and students. getting someone like sdsu would accomplish that

Especially since the chargers left. Def a football void there.

1 Like

Yeah I mean California is the most populous state and Utah is number 30 so there is thatā€¦ā€¦

Would it be the 3D chess move to take SDSU instead of Utah?

Yes I know this is all crazy speculation. But itā€™s fun.

I am an SDSU fan - I think they have the kind of hoops program we used to have (actually better), a fantastic football stadium, a solid hoops arena, great team colors / uniforms, and are located in one of the nicest cities in America and a recruiting hotbed. And now with the Chargers gone, they are the top dawg in town. I believe they have unlimited potential. Give them enough money and the only thing stopping them is themselves.

So yeah, I think they are worth the investment, though I donā€™t know why you would have to sacrifice Utah to get them. That is just a BYU fan trolling.

I also like rooting for another state school in a major metropolitan area. Makes me believe we could do it too.

Their basketball arena is awesome. Got to go to a game there a few years back.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JimMWeber/status/1632883306076200960?s=20

2 Likes
1 Like

That AAC contract looks pretty damn good.

I know itā€™s not split this way, but it could be:

$83.3M / 14 = $5.95M average.

Thatā€™s not too shabby.

Even if you give the legacy 8 programs $7M each, thatā€™s $56M, leaving $27.3M to split 6 ways, or $4.55M each for the new programs. Thatā€™s as much per school as the entire CUSA contract is. I know the new 6 arenā€™t getting that initially, but the headroom is there.

That is, if ESPN didnā€™t neuter the payouts.

Here is a refresher:

Good article, so the next question is how long until we can step up into this type of spending on experienced HCs in football & bball?

Trouble in paradise.

Word on the street is that it takes 6 schools to dissolve the GOR. Already at 3 or 4 from the looks of it (FSU, Clemson, Miami, CHeat). Clockā€™s ticking. Seems more likely than ever the GOR wonā€™t last until 2036.

1 Like

Was not aware of this stipulation. With attractive speculation (and not even offers) from B10 and SEC, seems as though the ACC GOR is not long for this world if those four and just the Virginia schools tag along.

1 Like

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc :moneybag: