College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc šŸ’°

clt says this is interesting, NIL was not vetted

Why is this an issue. Seems like they are trying to infringe on her right to earn under NIL.

This particular issue is possible academic misconduct per the schoolā€™s code of student conduct, not whether sheā€™s making money or not.

Surely she wasnā€™t dumb enough to actually do an assignment with that program. Itā€™s just an add.

Not sure where to post this so Iā€™ll leave it here but can you force the league ivy to actually start giving out athletic scholarships?

1 Like

They better be careful. Some Ivyā€™s may call their bluff and just cancel the sport(s).

1 Like

These schools have a pretty long history of sports, would be surprised if they cancel. I suppose you can argue that these players are expected to to do more than a typical walk-on in terms of practices and games (making it more like unpaid labor), but it would seem the easy counter is if they donā€™t like it, donā€™t sign up for it. This lawsuit would seem to argue that walk-on players shouldnā€™t exist, which would kill a lot of lower-level D-1 and D-2 sports programs. And how does D3 operate then as well?

They can keep the teams and just turn them into club teams.

Or drop to D-III.

The irony is the athletes have this all wrong. They only make money for a handful of schools. At most schools itā€™s a losing endeavor and there is no money to pay them and that is absolutely true at Ivy League schools. The changes to help the kids at the top 20 or so money programs is just wreck things for everyone else.

Iā€™ve said before when schools that charge student fees to find athletics start paying players thatā€™s when it all falls apart.

Agreed. And I donā€™t think it will happen. State legislatures will not let this happen. Thatā€™s death politically.

As far as the Brown lawsuit. The players involved are idiots.

The Ivy League programs donā€™t make any money. Do they honestly think they do much more than break even? I would bet that most of them run at a deficit made up by donors.

The average college player isnā€™t even worth their scholarship at a state school much less the Ivy League.

This is the kind of crap that will make the Ivy League schools drop down to D3.

There already plenty of elite academic institutions in D3.

Utkarsh Ambudkar Reaction GIF by CBS

Well, no secret why a former governor is the new NCAA prez. Especially one who is planning to spend the majority of his time in DC instead of Indy.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/17/charlie-baker-ncaa-president-capitol-hill-nil-legislation

A post was merged into an existing topic: Daily musings and oddities :spiral_calendar:

I keep reading and hearing that D1 will eventually be paying players.

How will that be justified at any school that charges any athletic fees (over and above whatā€™s needed for student athletic facilities/intramural sports, etc. (letā€™s call that student baseline fees)

It seems to me that any program that pays players and charges any athletic fees that go above and beyond the student baseline fees is a non starter and or a lawsuit waiting to happen. A lawsuit the school WILL LOSE.

Will that become the de facto dividing line between the new D1 or the pay to play division (whatever you want to call it?) and the rest of the college sports world?

Thoughts?

Only a handful of schools can play under that model. If that is the direction we land in it will be 30 or so schools in a pro college league and then the rest of us.

Once you start paying kids I am not sure how you can enforce any eligibility rules. I think they are already questionable given the argument made for immediate transfers, etc.