Conference Realignment (Part 1)

That AAC contract looks pretty damn good.

I know it’s not split this way, but it could be:

$83.3M / 14 = $5.95M average.

That’s not too shabby.

Even if you give the legacy 8 programs $7M each, that’s $56M, leaving $27.3M to split 6 ways, or $4.55M each for the new programs. That’s as much per school as the entire CUSA contract is. I know the new 6 aren’t getting that initially, but the headroom is there.

That is, if ESPN didn’t neuter the payouts.

Here is a refresher:

Good article, so the next question is how long until we can step up into this type of spending on experienced HCs in football & bball?

Trouble in paradise.

Word on the street is that it takes 6 schools to dissolve the GOR. Already at 3 or 4 from the looks of it (FSU, Clemson, Miami, CHeat). Clock’s ticking. Seems more likely than ever the GOR won’t last until 2036.

1 Like

Was not aware of this stipulation. With attractive speculation (and not even offers) from B10 and SEC, seems as though the ACC GOR is not long for this world if those four and just the Virginia schools tag along.

1 Like

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc :moneybag:

Wait. He doesn’t actually think that Cheat deserves a larger pie than others does he?

They don’t move the needle in football.

They are out of their minds.

1 Like

One thing I just now realized is that if the PAC12 or any other “power” league folds, that essentially opens up one more auto bid to the expanded CFP…

The top 6 conference champs get the auto bids. If there is no PAC12 or if it is essentially gutted and merged with the MWC, that means there is another spot for the AAC or some other league to grab.

Wait til someone in power realizes that.

i think that’s one of the main reasons the PAC12 will survive. Why religate yourself when you have that much money and power?

There are 10 PAC 12 programs left.

If 2 go to the B1G, and 4 go to the Big 12, that leaves 4 programs. Cal and Stanford might go independent at that point, leaving Wash St and Oregon St to basically join the MWC. They could invite a bunch of MWC schools, but the effect is the same. There is no assigned bid for the PAC and after losing all those programs, their stature would drop substantially enough that they would have to fight the other G5 leagues for a spot.

In that case, I could see the remaining P4 champs plus the MWC/PAC survivor league champ and the AAC champ as the top 6 leagues most years.

So, it wouldn’t be an intentional relegation. Just a function of all those schools abdicating a potential auto bid to the CFP for more guaranteed money.

Big 12 readies to pounce on Four Corners schools as doubt creeps in about Pac-12’s viability - CBSSports.com

Three high-ranking industry sources in the last week told CBS Sports they believe Yormark is going to be successful in luring at least some combination of Four Corners schools. Some went farther speculating the Pac-12 was a couple of weeks away from dissolving.

1 Like

Opportunity lost? There have been recent rumblings that the Pac-12 could have received the same deal the Big 12 did in October ($31.66 million per team) had it acted more aggressively in renewing its media rights. That probably would have solidified the league for years.

I don’t understand why PAC 12 fans aren’t in George Kliavkoff’s yard with pitchforks…

Angry Black Friday GIF by Buyout Footage

Shittiest thing for the PAC12 is how good their next season was shaping up to be:

5 teams in this top 25.

1 Like

I count six.

Usc, Washington, utah, Oregon state, Oregon, ucla.

Dang. I missed Washington.

Even worse then.

What horrible timing. They could have made some waves this season.

This could be a precipitous fall from grace.

The PAC can backfill teams to reload and Lee their NCAAT auto bid. But what’s to say they will have the juice to even get anyone from the MWC?

Their media deal will probably be structured that if they lose existing members the payout goes down.

ttps://www.outkick.com/utah-utes-pac-12-survival-fight-big-12-leading-charge/

However, Utah is behind closed doors as a vocal leader for keeping the conference together, according to KSL Sports’ Michelle Bodkin.

“I have multiple sources around Utah and the Pac-12 that have said from the start it is Utah’s desire to remain with the Pac-12. One of those sources with the Pac-12 specifically told me they talked with one of the higher-ups in the conference who is in all of the meetings, and they said Utah has been leading a lot of the charge,” Bodkin wrote Friday.