Conference Realignment (Part 1)

Per this, announcement should come soon:

Imagine we have already faxed the papers over to Judy.

2 Likes
9 Likes
2 Likes

Not sure best place to put this, so putting it here.

2 Likes

Holy crap that does not look good for us in any way shape or form.

75% of all CFB fans support the top 35 teams? 90% support the top 61?

The average G5 fanbase is about 200k, total.

Big 12 is losing 58% of its total fanbase with the departures of Texas and Oklahoma, even after you add in Cincy, BYU, UCF & Houston?

Those numbers are damning.

The only counterpoint I can offer is that ESPN engineered this imbalance as much as anyone else did. If they had not picked winners, it wouldn’t be so lopsided.

Also, Wake should feel lucky. Their profile fits G5, not P5.

I dunno if it’s ESPNs doing. I’ve been following sports for almost 50 years and I think the numbers have generally been like that. All my friends growing up were Fans of the big schools.

I do believe they have made those schools wealthy AF though and schools like us are left with the crumbs

75% being fans of top 35 is totally believable

1 Like

I mean - we still see it with students at our school openly rooting for the trash (Chapel Cheat)

If you slate all your coverage to a few teams / conferences and constantly remind fans that the others are inferior or even worse, barely acknowledge they exist…

They have definitely contributed to the problem. They did the same crap to MLB 20 or so years ago, but the league recovered thanks to small market moneyball.

1 Like

clt says so many wal mart fans…

1 Like

Charlotte is just too young to have a deep and wide fanbase. We graduate a lot of people now but weren’t 40 or 50 years ago. We don’t have generational fans. Almost no grew up in a Niner household the way you find with much older and established universities. Plus, we haven’t had huge success in sports that brings in bandwagon fans. We’ve only sponsored the most popular college sport of football since 2013.

4 Likes

I think it’s always been like this.

At least now information and access for the mid majors is better than it used to be. I remember when I felt lucky to get a game result in the box scores for charlotte in the paper in Winston where I grew up.

Any kind of TV game was a blessing back then.

At least nowadays there is access to way more schools athletic content than there was before.

3 Likes
3 Likes

You got to love the comments from the current AAC members (that are staying) fan base. If they were as good as they really think they are, this would be a moot point as they would have been asked to move up. Also, if not the new members, who else was willing to move to the AAC outside of schools (in their opinion) more irrelevant than us. I can’t wait to start our first season in the AAC and shock the conference, which will allow the crow to taste really good when we complain how weak this conference is. I know I’m probably fantasizing, but I need something to get me through the day.

2 Likes

clt says we are going to really well in the aac in non cfb and mbb sports

gotta get more croots in the big 2

we’ve all been saying it

1 Like
1 Like