Conference Realignment

Maryland and Rutgers headed to the Big Ten?

[quote=“cptn319, post:1, topic:27132”]Maryland and Rutgers headed to the Big Ten?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21029512/report-maryland-rutgers-in-serious-negotiations-to-join-the-big-ten[/quote]

The BE needs to throw in the towel on being a football league - just take thier basketball schools and the top half of the A10 and go play basketball… then CUSA bring former mates back into the fold.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:27132”][quote=“cptn319, post:1, topic:27132”]Maryland and Rutgers headed to the Big Ten?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21029512/report-maryland-rutgers-in-serious-negotiations-to-join-the-big-ten[/quote]

The BE needs to throw in the towel on being a football league - just take thier basketball schools and the top half of the A10 and go play basketball… then CUSA bring former mates back into the fold.[/quote]

If this pans out, the ACC will probably grab UConn before the Big Ten news conference is over.

As a general college football fan, I just have to ask the B10: why? What is impressive about either football program? Maryland’s last ACC title was in 2003? Before ACC expansion. They’ve been decent at times since then, but not impressive enough to add to your conference. Greg Schiano is no longer at Rutgers, and they aren’t even the best available program to add from the Big East. Basketball at Maryland is pretty good, but not what it was 10 years ago. The Big East should have made a run for Maryland and Boston College before this, and try to keep what they have. Big East football is/was not a great league, but it was still the best of the rest after the Big 5 conferences. If Louisville goes to the Big 10 or Big 12 and UConn vacates to the ACC, it’s over Johnny.

The Big 10 has a TV network it wants to expand

So much for the BE making it “much more difficult” for future schools to leave. lol!

Rutgers is ranked #21/#19 with its only loss to #23/#25 Kent State. They play home versus Louisville on Thursday November 29th, winner wins the Big East Title and goes to the BCS (most likely Orange Bowl). Schiano and the administration had built up the facilities and enough success (bowls 6 of last 7 seasons, winning 5) to be in a position to make a move to either the Big 10 or the ACC, depending on what Notre Dame ended up doing.

Maryland has a very good basketball program and is probably more aligned with the Big 10 with regards to non-revenue sports.

Louisville has no shot at the Big 10. It is not a well regarded academically and not a part of the AAU (American Association of Universities). It doesn’t fit the profile of the Big 10. If they end up anywhere it will be the Big 12 IMO.

BC left the Big East for the ACC and has been pretty much terrible other than the Matt Ryan years. The Big East is in no position to poach schools from legit football conferences (not saying the ACC is legit, but you get my point).

The Big East is on a death spiral, because the powers that be have always been the small catholic school basketball types, and I would argue they never had the will or vision to be prepared to handle what college football has become.

On a side note, Rutgers and Maryland bring NYC metro and DC/Baltimore TV for the Big 10 Network.

Rutgers is ranked #21/#19 with its only loss to #23/#25 Kent State. They play home versus Louisville on Thursday November 29th, winner wins the Big East Title and goes to the BCS (most likely Orange Bowl). Schiano and the administration had built up the facilities and enough success (bowls 6 of last 7 seasons, winning 5) to be in a position to make a move to either the Big 10 or the ACC, depending on what Notre Dame ended up doing.

Maryland has a very good basketball program and is probably more aligned with the Big 10 with regards to non-revenue sports.

Louisville has no shot at the Big 10. It is not a well regarded academically and not a part of the AAU (American Association of Universities). It doesn’t fit the profile of the Big 10. If they end up anywhere it will be the Big 12 IMO.

BC left the Big East for the ACC and has been pretty much terrible other than the Matt Ryan years. The Big East is in no position to poach schools from legit football conferences (not saying the ACC is legit, but you get my point).

The Big East is on a death spiral, because the powers that be have always been the small catholic school basketball types, and I would argue they never had the will or vision to be prepared to handle what college football has become.

On a side note, Rutgers and Maryland bring NYC metro and DC/Baltimore TV for the Big 10 Network.[/quote]

Smart post. I agree with all of it, but especially the bolded part.

[quote=“cptn319, post:3, topic:27132”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2, topic:27132”][quote=“cptn319, post:1, topic:27132”]Maryland and Rutgers headed to the Big Ten?

The BE needs to throw in the towel on being a football league - just take thier basketball schools and the top half of the A10 and go play basketball… then CUSA bring former mates back into the fold.[/quote]

If this pans out, the ACC will probably grab UConn before the Big Ten news conference is over.[/quote]

Most Maryland grads I know prefer to move to the Big 10.

[size=3]On a side note, Rutgers and Maryland bring NYC metro and DC/Baltimore TV for the Big 10 Network.[/size][/quote]

Take off your Scarlet Knights hat and let’s be real, this is the reason. There is no other reason for the B10 to add either school, performance, geographical, or otherwise.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports

#Rutgers is getting the most play (along with Maryland) but multiple sources maintain #GeorgiaTech is also vying for a Big 10 spot.

[size=1.35em]On a side note, Rutgers and Maryland bring NYC metro and DC/Baltimore TV for the Big 10 Network.[/size][/quote]

Take off your Scarlet Knights hat and let’s be real, this is the reason. There is no other reason for the B10 to add either school, performance, geographical, or otherwise.[/quote]

Chip on your shoulder?

Their on-field performance has been better a few Big 10 teams of late (Indiana and Illinois). If they were the bottom of the barrel like they were 10 years ago it wouldn’t have mattered that the TV sets where there. In addition, Rutgers ranks in the top 5 annually for APR, which plays to the Big 10’s desire for well respected academic institutions.

TV plays a role, but so does the other conference shuffling, their academic reputation, the 14 team conference goal, etc.

Is it set in stone, of course not, but there would be no chance of Rutgers getting into the Big 10 if they have not become a perennial bowl team.

The real winner in this reshuffling is App State, the ACC’s obvious choice to replace Maryland.

Is Rutgers a perennial bowl team in the big 10? Will be playing tougher competition than BE has.

[size=1.35em]On a side note, Rutgers and Maryland bring NYC metro and DC/Baltimore TV for the Big 10 Network.[/size][/quote]

Take off your Scarlet Knights hat and let’s be real, this is the reason. There is no other reason for the B10 to add either school, performance, geographical, or otherwise.[/quote]

Chip on your shoulder?

Their on-field performance has been better a few Big 10 teams of late (Indiana and Illinois). If they were the bottom of the barrel like they were 10 years ago it wouldn’t have mattered that the TV sets where there. In addition, Rutgers ranks in the top 5 annually for APR, which plays to the Big 10’s desire for well respected academic institutions.

TV plays a role, but so does the other conference shuffling, their academic reputation, the 14 team conference goal, etc.

Is it set in stone, of course not, but there would be no chance of Rutgers getting into the Big 10 if they have not become a perennial bowl team.[/quote]

No chip here, but exactly what 2k said.

You compared them to the bottom dwellers in the Big 10, and that’s where both of the additions are likely to be most seasons.

Maryland hasn’t threatened for an ACC championship since expansion, and Rutgers has never won a conference title in D1. I don’t disagree that they wouldn’t have sniffed an invite without their success under Schiano, but there are better athletic programs available to add to the conference a lot closer to the rest of the current conference members.

Well I would argue that the 2006-2008 era of West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers and Cincy, was on par with the level the Big 10 has played this season. It is always difficult to compare how teams would perform in a better conference, because there are recruiting benefits with being associated with the better conference.

New Jersey has a great deal of talented HS football players, many have ended up in the Big 10 over the years. If kids can now stay home and play in the Big 10 it could be huge for Rutgers.

If I’m Terry and Judy, I work together and try to get the two schools into the Big East.

[quote=“Tintin, post:17, topic:27132”]If I’m Terry and Judy, I work together and try to get the two schools into the Big East.[/quote]we have no shot.

I dont think we have a big shot - but I wouldn’t say we have no shot. If the BE loses Uconn and Rutgers and their hold on SDSU and BSU is perilous at best, then I think there is at least a window of opportunity. ECU would be attractive to them and with our market would be a decent addition. Add in to that the relationships we have with many of those schools. Likely? No. Possible? Sure. I mean if the BE wants to keep their football afloat there are only so many schools they can go to, mostly eastern division CUSA schools and out of them our market is going to be one of the strongest. If Rutgers leaves and Uconn leaves and SDSU and BSU decide against an eastern league then that means the BE is down to 9 teams - so to get back to a champ game that is adding at least 3 schools, if not 5 to really shore things up in case Lville finally finds its path out.

Us, ECU, Marshall, SMU, UAB, ODU could all make a case.

What upsets me about all this is if a school does get called up from CUSA the domino impact could be App moving up.

At this point, do we really want any part of the BE anyway? That conference is going in the wrong direction.