Coppin State Post game

Waiting for the box so I can look up the refs. One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Totally bush league. Called touch fouls, missed all significant contact, travels, over the back, etc. Coppin State hacked us to death and we played through it. We were missing a bunch of finishes because of the contact.

JB - Career night, right? So Clutch

Henry - Is amazing. He gets a little better each week.

Bras - been a long time since Ive seen ane entire defense collapse on one guy. He toughed it out.

Deuce - came alive after the no call and 1 that should have been. Nice 2nd half.

Everyone played pretty well considering the playing environment the refs created. I wish we hadnt let Ellis carve us up, but we did good work on Gallo. You’d always rather make a 2nd or 3rd guy beat you over the #1.

7-2. Feels good.

Decue - 3 assists, 4 steals, zero turnovers. I am officially on team sokool. Start him and play him 25 min a game at least.

And how about our improvement as a team with turnovers. I think deep into the 2nd half we only had FIVE! Kudos to the coaches and team on correcting that problem!

SEVEN AND TWO!!! WOOHOOO!

One of the best defensive sequences was when Coppin State tried to get Henry to switch off of Gallo in the 2nd half. They got the switch, but Gallo got Nickerson, who towered over him and stayed with him. Shot clock violation. Beautiful.

I forgot to mention that.

Bottom line: we proved we can beat teams that completely focus on Braswell. They played a box and one most of the night, and completely collapsed whenever Braz got the ball inside. We needed other guys to make plays and they did. I’m happy. Let’s go get Miami.

any reason why Luka wasn’t in uniform? There an article or thread i missed? sick? don’t tell me something to make him ineligible like grades (ex. big phil)

Another win!!! I could really get used to this! I thought the team played hard tonight. I thought we were pushing the pace too much at the beginning of both halves. I know they made it tough but we only pulled away once our post game kicked in.

Refs were terrible! The one ref was ready to fight the entire 104 front row and even moved someone to the back. How are you watching the game when you are busy fighting the student section? Either way that guy is probly gonna hang up that whistle (or even himself) after the tongue lashing itsbraille gave him :stuck_out_tongue:

they were in zone and we had open looks from 3 all night, just couldnt knock them down.

We won, wasn’t pretty… but we won.

Barnett is beasting it out. I wish he found his inside game a few years ago, hate to lose gim next year.

Henry… can’t say enough about him. I see big things in his niner career AND possibly beyond.

This game started out like a typical Christmas break game. Our boys were coming off a long break and looked rusty and with the decent alumni side but thin student crowd it was a quite game to start. They were sloppy but played good defense which really kept them in the game.

Braswell was swarmed anytime he touched the ball. At times he looked frustrated because he was getting hacked and double/triple teamed so often and missing some shots. He did a good job passing the ball and getting rebounds.

JB was great again. Clutch and becoming so versatile. He can hit a three, get a rebound, slash to the basket and play good defense.

Briscoe had a huge second half and really stepped up. He was jawing some and Major got in his face but I like his passion coming off the bench. So many young players would pout and pull a Spears if they got demoted but he seems to be making the most of his playing time.

Mayfield is very athletic but please, please, please, let him inbound the ball late and then just get away!!! The kid cannot hit a free throw (actually the whole team struggled).

Williams is improving too. Good to see the freshman progress.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/12/voncina-missing-coppin-game.html

Will also miss the next 3 I read on twitter. Hopefully it’s not to save next semester of eligibility to transfer, but who knows. Strange to still attend a game, but not play for personal reasons.

An ugly BEAUTIFUL win! But please, Mayfield has GOT to get better at the FT line or it will come back to haunt us AGAIN later in a close game. I love being 7-2 and showing improvement as a team.

Tough game to get going, guys were missing lots of outside shots and the refs called a very uneven game (hand checks - foul, body checks - no foul).

Braswell - thought he got a little anxious to score and took some bad jumpers. Tough to do much when the other team is triple-teaming you, just have to rely on the other guys to hit some shots (eventually) and get your points/rebounds where you can.

Barnett - Cold early, but got it going with some nice jumpers and a few beautiful moves to the basket, obviously a big game for him.

Briscoe - Also cold 1st half, got it going late. Glad to see him hit some jumpers, play some tough D, take care of the ball (despite some ridiculous no-calls when they were trying to bump him off the ball) and made a few nice passes. Over the whole game, not his best, but played a big role in fending off their comeback.

Henry - More pesky defense, screwed up some fastbreaks with bad choices, but more than made up for it by hounding their ballhandlers. Even though he messed up the resulting fast break, loved the play where he just waited behind their guard until he forgot Henry was behind him, then stole the ball. Opposing teams hate that guy, I’m really glad he’s on our side.

Team defense - the constant switching was interesting, worked out relatively well for the most part, just a few lapses, especially by the younger guys down low.

Major - Thought he did a pretty good job managing the game and players tonight.

It was scary seeing so much youth out there tonight but I hope it means good things for the future.
Way too many three attempts against a team so small inside.
I’ve seen some poorly officiated games in Halton but the old guy tonight takes the cake. He had a huge chip on his shoulder for some reason and tried his best to take over the game. Glad it was on TV so hopefully his boss has a chance to see the show he put on!
I know he was heavily guarded but I believe Bras is his own worst enemy out there and was surprised he sat as much has he did considering how close this game was early in the second half.
Glad to be a last-second, desperation shot away from 8-1 but there’s alot of work to be done with this team before we can say it’s a successful season!

Good win. Reality may set in during our next three game stretch but it sure does feel great to be excited about Niner hoops again.

Why were we shooting so many 3s to begin it? We shot more 3s than 2s in the first half.

Why weren’t we going inside more or trying to make something happen inside more?

I didn’t care for how we played for a lot of the first half, and it seemed like coach was taking some guys out at the wrong time.

Williams musta said something about that one refs momma. Sheesh what ticky tack BS. And then to NOT call that one foul they committed on Briscoe? Just crazy. Absolutely crazy. And that one dude straight up pulled Braz down during a rebound like Urso did to Smith. Again, no foul.

Henry is soooooooooo gooooooooooood.

9 TOs. 70% FT shooting. Pretty good.

[quote=“49or bust, post:14, topic:26069”]Why were we shooting so many 3s to begin it? We shot more 3s than 2s in the first half.

Why weren’t we going inside more or trying to make something happen inside more?[/quote]

Uh, maybe the fact that they were denying Bras with 2-3 guys on every possession + leaving us WIDE OPEN on the perimeter. You have to take the best shot available. A wide open three off a pass is a great shot, you just have to hit it.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:15, topic:26069”][quote=“49or bust, post:14, topic:26069”]Why were we shooting so many 3s to begin it? We shot more 3s than 2s in the first half.

Why weren’t we going inside more or trying to make something happen inside more?[/quote]

Uh, maybe the fact that they were denying Bras with 2-3 guys on every possession + leaving us WIDE OPEN on the perimeter. You have to take the best shot available. A wide open three off a pass is a great shot, you just have to hit it.[/quote]

This was obvious.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:15, topic:26069”][quote=“49or bust, post:14, topic:26069”]Why were we shooting so many 3s to begin it? We shot more 3s than 2s in the first half.

Uh, maybe the fact that they were denying Bras with 2-3 guys on every possession + leaving us WIDE OPEN on the perimeter. You have to take the best shot available. A wide open three off a pass is a great shot, you just have to hit it.[/quote]
Yea yea, but I still think we should have tried to work it in to someone else. Or take it in with someone else. Let EVN do some of his slashing. I’m looking at it from a practice perspective too much I reckon. We need work. Jacking threes isn’t practice. And even when Braz wasn’t in, I don’t think we really tried too hard to run an offense that targeted the paint.

I liked that we utilized the high post. Thought we should have done it even more.

Our offense was working to get the open look, that’s it. Our offense would have worked it inside if the option was there. Had we tried to force it inside, we would have had a lot more turnovers. You want your offense to get a good shot on every possession, they don’t drop always.

I couldn’t help but wonder if Major saw the Miami v. Florida Atlantic game on Saturday (likely). They were sinking 3s like crazy… maybe he wanted the guys to (essentially) practice 3s during a real game, to prep for Miami.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?id=313512390