Coppin State Post game

Our offense was working to get the open look, thatā€™s it. Our offense would have worked it inside if the option was there. Had we tried to force it inside, we would have had a lot more turnovers. You want your offense to get a good shot on every possession, they donā€™t drop always.[/quote]

I didnā€™t want them to force it inside. I wanted them to create opportunities inside. We seemed to just pass around the perimeter until someone was open.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/19/2862839/barnett-leads-charlotte-past-coppin.html

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/12/observations-from-coppin-state.html

Their zone was collapsing like crazy. The few times we did get the ball inside for a shot were off very quick passes. The open jumpshot was the right shot to take, but just couldnā€™t hit them for much of the game. Green had a couple where no one was within 5 feet of him, and he missed them.

I will say that the 3 Braswell took was really bad. He can hit that if heā€™s wide open, but that time it was a step back fall away 3.

Defense, Defense, Defenseā€¦It was a pleasure to watch. Love seeing this type of Niner Ball. Henry is a joy to watchā€¦
JB had a huge game. Its great to see the inside game he has developed. Monster game (26 pts and 12 boards) might get him A10 POTW Honors.
Keep winning!!!
Beat Miami!

To Coppinā€™s credit, they did what they needed to do to hang around. Zoned us to death, but as others have said, we had plenty of open looks. Gotta make more 3ā€™s early to get teams out of the zone. Only thing I saw was we didnā€™t work it in and back out well early in the game to make them collapse. We missed a bunch of close looks, too. Just gotta hit more shots, period, from the field and foul line. We got the W. Now we get ready for 4 true tests. Measuring stick time.

Reggie Johnson is now back for Miami on Thursday. Bras will get tested against a BIG body.

I keep waiting for Derrio to go all batman on someone. It has to happen soon, right?

I love Henryā€™s game.He does seem to see 2 steps ahead of everyone else.Hitting those 3ā€™s was almost a bonus.Donā€™t think there can be much doubt in anyones mind at this point that Deuce gives us so much more than Derrio. If coach wants to start Derrio,thatā€™s fineā€¦but,he gives us very little.

This game was all about Barnett,Deuce and Henry.Iā€™m big on body language and from the beginning Brasā€™s was terrible.Every game he spends an inordinate amount of time bitching to the refsā€¦sometimes loses his focusā€¦and heā€™s got to be a better finisherā€¦even missed a dunk.Iā€™ll just chalk it up to a bad game.
Mayfieldā€™s f.t.shooting is just abysmalā€¦I fear itā€™s gonna cost us again. All in allā€¦a winā€¦iā€™ll take itā€¦3 tests coming up.By the wayā€¦I really liked Majorā€™s substitutions tonight.Wasnā€™t scared to bench a starter and go with different combos.

OKā€¦ Since no one else will do it, Iā€™ll ask about the big elephant sitting over here in the corner of the room.
17 minutes, 0-7, 1 steal, 1 reb, 1 assist.
What the hell happened to Derrio tonight? Did he play at all in the second half?

OKā€¦ Since no one else will do it, Iā€™ll ask about the big elephant sitting over here in the corner of the room.
17 minutes, 0-7, 1 steal, 1 reb, 1 assist.
What the hell happened to Derrio tonight? Did he play at all in the second half?[/quote]He played some in 2nd half. Deuce received most of the 2nd half minutes, as he caught fire. Derrio played solid defense, just couldnā€™t hit a shot.

I have a feeling that Luka is done being a Niner. It just seems a little weird that he is not going to play the next three games until the situation is clear. He played a great game against Davidson, but what happen over the next week. He is a great backup to Henry, but I do not think we will see him next semester.

Great game? A bit strong with the hyperbole,donā€™t you think? This smells a bit like ā€œtransferā€ to me.

Did Coppin St. use any full court press? Why every team doesnā€™t do that against us I have no idea. If they did, how did we handle the press?

Any one else notice that we seem to have our old KJ back? Looks like heā€™s got some pep in his step again.

Good to see Deuce playing so well. That no-call on the fast break layup really fired him up.

[quote=ā€œVA49er, post:32, topic:26069ā€]Did Coppin St. use any full court press? Why every team doesnā€™t do that against us I have no idea. If they did, how did we handle the press?[/quote] Yes, Niners seemed to handle it without too much trouble (only saw a couple dangerous passes). The pressure wasnā€™t all that suffocating though, as we had an advantage in athleticism.

Thanks!! I fear a team that plays a suffocating full court press will destroy us. Of course, Iā€™m just going off of what I saw at ECU. Hopefully from your comment the team is learning to handle the press better.

Luka has legitimate personal issues to deal with. No transferring, etc. Nothing to see here in terms of trying to make it more than has been reported.

Well, whatever it is, I hope everything works out.

Really wish we won that ETSU game now.

sounds like a explanation before the real explanation comes out. and before anyone gets all high and mighty, this is a message board.

If it was serious family issues, why is he still here?

If itā€™s family issues and he is still here for some reason, then why is he sitting on the bench in street clothes, rather than in uniform and playing a sport he loves.

The ā€œGreatsā€ played the game they loved during time of tragedy.

Someone mentioned going pro in Europeā€¦ then why is he still on the bench?

My guess is either he is academically ineligible or things came out from previous school that the team is not willing to put him on the court to jeopardize infractions for the time being. Or like if Luka played some kind of pro ball in Europe before he came hear. Seems as if the AD is keeping him off the court.

I hope all is well with Luka and his family. The reasoning doesnā€™t make much sense though imo. He would be great player for us for 4 years.

[quote=ā€œNinerJags, post:36, topic:26069ā€]Luka has legitimate personal issues to deal with. No transferring, etc. Nothing to see here in terms of trying to make it more than has been reported.[/quote]Thanks Jags.

I see a lot of people questioning why heā€™d sit out if heā€™s still in Charlotte, but consider this: if one of your players has a lot on his mind that will keep him from focusing on basketball, would you want him in the game? Or maybe Luka simply does not feel into playing right now because of the issues, are you going to force him to?

Best wishes to Luka. I hope everything works out for him and that we get him back for conference play.