Coverage of 49ers-Saint Bonaventure game

[QUOTE][B]“He gets blasted by some of our idiot fans for taking (bad) shots. Well, they should have been here tonight. If they want to question him, they can question me. I’m the guy who wants him to have the ball.”[/B] - Bobby Lutz[/QUOTE]
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/niners/story/486803.html][B][U]Goldwire nets career-high 39 points[/U][/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/hoops/story/486806.html][B][U]Observations - Charlotte-Saint Bonaventure[/U][/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer
[URL=http://gmine.blogspot.com/2008/02/lutz-appreciates-his-predecessors.html][B][U]Lutz appreciates his predecessors[/U][/B][/URL], The Gold Mine
[URL=http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2008/02/09/sports/doc47ae793a372c2207853664.txt][B][U]Goldwire bounces back to rip Bonas[/U][/B][/URL], Olean Times Herald

[B][SIZE=1][I]DARRELL GRONEMEIER/Olean Times Herald[/I], St. Bonaventure’s Tyler Relph looks to make a pass as he gets
around Charlotte’s Gaby Ngoundjo during Saturday’s Atlantic 10 game at the Reilly Center.[/SIZE][/B]

I take back everything I’ve ever said about Lutz. Taking low % shots and continuously gambling on defense is good solid basketball. I don’t know what I was thinking.

Spuurier is the Ol’ Ball Coach. Let’s call Lutz the Ol’ Softball Coach.

:49ers:

The photo taken by a 0.1 Megapixel camera is still better quality than the video last night.

I’ve been saying these were shots Lutz had been calling for. You must be proud Lutz. Barely beat the bonnies and lost to Monmouth.

Nice to see Lutz standing up for this players, I’m sure they love that.

On the other hand, even though we (and every other sports team in history) do have some knee-jerking fans, not much good can come out of calling your fan base idiots, regardless of whether or not they deserve it.

Nice to see Lutz standing up for this players, I'm sure they love that.

On the other hand, even though we (and every other sports team in history) do have some knee-jerking fans, not much good can come out of calling your fan base idiots, regardless of whether or not they deserve it.

agreed. Hopefully this is just a case of Lutz caught in the moment and it won’t happen again.

Idiot fans, huh? Nice quote from the ol’ bball coach. Hey coach, the same idiot fans go and fill up Halton Arena every time you play, so you may want to make a retraction. What kind of coach calls the fans idiots? LOL. Oh and by the way, yeah we won vs St. Bonnies. However, the same St. Bonnie team that is awful and is the worst team in the conference. Squeaked by and could only do it with bombs from Lee, that did go in. Good call, Coach Lutz. Lee took care of business and we won by 4 over a high school team. Be proud.

[QUOTE=franchise49er;293385]Idiot fans, huh? Nice quote from the ol’ bball coach. Hey coach, the same idiot fans go and fill up Halton Arena every time you play, so you may want to make a retraction. What kind of coach calls the fans idiots? LOL. Oh and by the way, yeah we won vs St. Bonnies. However, the same St. Bonnie team that is awful and is the worst team in the conference. Squeaked by and could only do it with bombs from Lee, that did go in. Good call, Coach Lutz. Lee took care of business and we won by 4 over a high school team. Be proud.[/QUOTE]

That’s as big of an over-reaction as Lutz’s idiot comment. He said “some”, he obviously means a few of the more vocal complainers, not the entire fan base. The comment will unfortunately be generalized to the entire fan base, but that obviously wasn’t his intent.

You read the word idiot and jumped all over Lutz and the fact that we won by 4 last night, how is that any different than Lutz reading a bunch of crap talked about Leemire and then jumping all over the people who were saying that? Your comment won’t be printed in a newspaper anywhere, but it’s the exact same type of emotional over-reaction Lutz had after the game last night.

[QUOTE=CMack124;293388]That’s as big of an over-reaction as Lutz’s idiot comment. He said “some”, he obviously means a few of the more vocal complainers, not the entire fan base. The comment will unfortunately be generalized to the entire fan base, but that obviously wasn’t his intent.

You read the word idiot and jumped all over Lutz and the fact that we won by 4 last night, how is that any different than Lutz reading a bunch of crap talked about Leemire and then jumping all over the people who were saying that? Your comment won’t be printed in a newspaper anywhere, but it’s the exact same type of emotional over-reaction Lutz had after the game last night.[/QUOTE]

Major difference being he is an internet board poster, not a head coach of a DI basketball team talking to a reporter.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;293390]Major difference being he is an internet board poster, not a head coach of a DI basketball team talking to a reporter.[/QUOTE]

So you shouldn’t feel the need to be accountable for what you say just because you are typing on a keyboard?

Lutz’s word choice is unfortunate, I completely agree with that, but it came out of emotion and everybody over-reacts at times. Does nobody see the irony in an over-emotional fan grilling Lutz for being over-emotional and grilling some fans? I think there’s a saying about a pot and a kettle for situations like that…

He said "some", he obviously means a few of the more vocal complainers, not the entire fan base. The comment will unfortunately be generalized to the entire fan base, but that obviously wasn't his intent.
I think he means the fans questioning shot selection which is a much bigger group of people, not just the ones who always complain. The context of the quote means they were idiots for questioning Lee's shooting imo. I think it was brought on by those fans who questioned shot selection at Lutz live (didn't he call out a couple people by name last night?), both of which are big-time fans, and one of which is apparently a longtime supporter of the program. He has done this before, hasn't he? I seem to remember him complaining that fans just don't understand his offense and having a discussion on here about how he feels about the fans. I'll give him heat of the moment here, but the smart thing to do now is to retract or apologize for it and move on.

If any critisim from this message board lit a fire under Lee and Lutz it is a good thing. Lee is back, we can all move past it now, Lee started slow, Lutz benched him for a while… everybody wins. I’m just concerned that it took 39 points from Lee to beat the Bonnies. Shooting is only one aspect. We have to get better at rebounding and better and defense if we hope to hang with Xavier.

I love Lee and I’m thrilled he had the kind of game he did.

That doesn’t change the fact that many of the shots he takes are not high % shots. I won’t say they’re bad shots because the difference between a good shot and bad shot for many is if it goes in or not.

Lee and Mack take bad shots. We shoot too many 3’s. Lee has moments when he takes VERY stupid shots. Lutz should reign him in when he’s off and taking bad shots. It doesn’t make a fan an idiot for pointing that out.

Bad choice of words on Bobby’s part. He should be above saying things like that.

[QUOTE=franchise49er;293385]Idiot fans, huh? Nice quote from the ol’ bball coach. Hey coach, the same idiot fans go and fill up Halton Arena every time you play, so you may want to make a retraction. What kind of coach calls the fans idiots? LOL. Oh and by the way, yeah we won vs St. Bonnies. However, the same St. Bonnie team that is awful and is the worst team in the conference. Squeaked by and could only do it with bombs from Lee, that did go in. Good call, Coach Lutz. Lee took care of business and we won by 4 over a high school team. Be proud.[/QUOTE]

He was talking to people like you…there is no need for a retraction for an accurate statement!

[QUOTE=CMack124;293393]So you shouldn’t feel the need to be accountable for what you say just because you are typing on a keyboard?

Lutz’s word choice is unfortunate, I completely agree with that, but it came out of emotion and everybody over-reacts at times. Does nobody see the irony in an over-emotional fan grilling Lutz for being over-emotional and grilling some fans? I think there’s a saying about a pot and a kettle for situations like that…[/QUOTE]

If this was directed at me, I’m a Lutz supporter and never called him an idiot on this messageboard. But, yes, as a DI head coach, I think you should be more careful about what you say to a reporter than some guy typing on the internet. I think anyone can agree about that. He is held to a different standard. And its not really debatable.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;293376]I’ve been saying these were shots Lutz had been calling for. You must be proud Lutz. Barely beat the bonnies and lost to Monmouth.[/QUOTE]

and Beat Clemson, Wake and St Joes…nice try

[QUOTE=CMack124;293377]Nice to see Lutz standing up for this players, I’m sure they love that.

On the other hand, even though we (and every other sports team in history) do have some knee-jerking fans, not much good can come out of calling your fan base idiots, regardless of whether or not they deserve it.[/QUOTE]

he was only calling out “some” of the fans…

I admit I was quite critical after the Dayton loss myself…someone has to answer to poor shot selection that cost us the game.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;293403]I love Lee and I’m thrilled he had the kind of game he did.

That doesn’t change the fact that many of the shots he takes are not high % shots. I won’t say they’re bad shots because the difference between a good shot and bad shot for many is if it goes in or not.

Lee and Mack take bad shots. We shoot too many 3’s. Lee has moments when he takes VERY stupid shots. Lutz should reign him in when he’s off and taking bad shots. It doesn’t make a fan an idiot for pointing that out.

Bad choice of words on Bobby’s part. He should be above saying things like that.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally MK. Lutz needs to diffuse this issue imediately before it continues to fester the rest of the season. Everyone will take sides based on how many 3-point shots Lee hits, and put the win or loss squarely on his shoulders. It is a no-win situation for Lee (unless he stays red-hot for the rest of the season). Some will argue that Lee won the St. Bonaventure game while others argue that he lost the Richmond-Dayton games.

I would like to see more balanced scoring, but as another Charlotte coach says " It is what it is"

[QUOTE=Iron9er;293407]If this was directed at me, I’m a Lutz supporter and never called him an idiot on this messageboard. But, yes, as a DI head coach, I think you should be more careful about what you say to a reporter than some guy typing on the internet. I think anyone can agree about that. He is held to a different standard. And its not really debatable.[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn’t directed at you.

My point was that we on this message board prove, on a daily basis, that people are emotional and over-react. I understand a basketball coach is held to higher standards than message board posters, but as often we over-react here, it amazes me that people can’t let it slide when Lutz makes an unfortunate word choice when he is obviously emotional after a tough game. We can all come on here and over-react on a daily basis but when Lutz does it once people start grilling him for it.

I would never tell a fan how to act or what to think. But having said that, I would say try to consider how Bobby felt after the 2 most recent losses. I’m sure those losses were brutal to Bobby too. Richmond because of the RPI implications and Dayton because we had the game in hand. I’m sure he was very frustrated too. Then to have your own fan base pile it on afterwards I’m sure didn’t make it any easier to swallow. Especially making Lee the scapegoat. It’s ridiculous to think about where this team would be without Lee. I think that was the biggest thing that bothered Lutz.