I believe it’s not possible to gain herd immunity without vaccinating the kids as well. So, until that is even approved not much we can do about actually reaching herd immunity.
I mean, yeah. Of course Big Pharma is in it for the profit motive. I’m not suddenly a fan of their business model. I do appreciate how fast they brought this to market though.
It doesn’t mean the vaccine is bunk. And if I skimmed that Pfizer pill article correctly it’s a preventive “cure”. I dunno. I really need to read that in detail.
The faster we get people vaccinated, the faster this happens. I’m hoping enough people come to their senses in time for the Duke game to have a full house. Eternal optimist I guess. ![]()
All points I agree with, but the issue with India is part new mutation that early indicators suggest is worse, and then we may self inflict a lack of vaccinations that they have no choice in due to their limited medical system. With the exception of purpoaefully delaying the okay for children, any shortage in herd immunity that occurs in the USA at this point is purely elective. Although that is elective too.
If we don’t have a full house for the Duke game it’s Charlotte’s fault. Their is no outdoor spread of this virus. None.
Once someone at the AD realizes that the people attending the game have more chance dying in a car wreck on the way to the game and they are committing financial suicide by limiting attendance, the better off Charlotte will be.
I understand micro and soft are the main reasons.
I doubt the Duke game will be a non sellout.
The attendance limitations during this school year’s games have been state mandated, not AD mandated.
Ars Technica: FDA reportedly plans to authorize Pfizer’s COVID vaccine for teens 12-15 in days.
That conclusion is completely ridiculous, makes me question “Wallethub’s” credibility. The epidemiologist quoted in that same article:
Denis Nash, an epidemiologist at the CUNY School of Public Health, said the side-by-side comparisons don’t capture all the relevant information that go into evaluating whether lockdowns were effective.
States put lockdown measures in place at different times, or avoided interventions because they were seeing different scenarios play out, he noted. Some shut down with little sign of the virus, while New York had a raging epidemic underway by the time lockdown was imposed.
“What if New York didn’t lock down last March?” he asked. “We would have seen many many more deaths over a rapid period.”
“Context matters,” Nash said.
Unfortunately a waste of time at this point. If adults have stopped getting it why do they think adolescents will get it. What is the carrot if nothing changes?
The subsequent actions of our gov post vaccine have been nothing short of incompetent.
Of course, you wouldn’t know that the vaccines are so effective by looking at the CDC’s overly-cautious guidelines. Already, a very damaging narrative is taking hold: If the vaccines are so effective, then why so many precautions for the fully vaccinated? What’s the point of getting inoculated if not much changes? Imagine if Wednesday’s joint session had required that all attendees be fully vaccinated. Those who were not vaccinated were not welcome. But those permitted in could walk into the room, take off their mask, sit next to one another, and listen to a presidential address — just as they did in 2019. The science shows that could have been done. It would have sent an unequivocal message that vaccines are safe, effective and the key to ending the pandemic. Instead, the American people got a different message, one that could impede the nation’s vaccine progress at a time when we can least afford it.
If the state government permits it, it will be a packed house with extra seating brought in. That would be my guess.
Opening the entire country up is essentially government returning power to the people, and I know that almost never happens. Whatever your government will take from you, it will want to keep.
I would hope the UNC system lobby is big enough to make sure this happens. Again, financial ramifications are too large.
Given the governor’s recent statements it sounds like King Cooper will open full capacity this summer.
My only comment here is if state and county officials permit the full stadium we are going to do it. Our AD isn’t going to restrict crowd size or capacity on their own.
No matter what your world view, it’s not difficult to find some medium to quote to back that view up.
Living in an echo chamber is so much fun. 
I agree. It’s one of the primary drawbacks of social media, IMO. Confirmation bias is real and an easy trap in which to fall. Social media makes such a fall really easy. Couple that with the media and it’s no wonder people have little desire these days to hear differing opinions.
In March, FAA Administrator Steve Dickson said he would indefinitely extend a “zero tolerance policy” on unruly air passengers first imposed in January, and said that airlines had reported hundrends of cases since December – most which involved passengers not wearing masks as required on airplanes.