Cox to step down as Braves manager after 2010 season

Bobby Cox will manage the Braves through 2010, then stay on as a consultant for the team through 2015.

ESPN.com: Cox gets one-year extension

Had a good run but only winning one WS will hurt him in some people’s eyes. He’ll be 70 so as good as time as any to step away and let someone new take over.

[QUOTE=VA49er;433129]Had a good run but only winning one WS will hurt him in some people’s eyes. He’ll be 70 so as good as time as any to step away and let someone new take over.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, as a Braves fan, only winning one World Series is definitely a disappointment. He’s still a shoo-in for the HOF.

Yeah, he only won one, but he went to more than one. How many teams haven’t even been to a world series in that time frame?

I don’t know much about baseball and I certainly don’t follow it, but I know he won a lot of games for a long time.

It will be interesting to see who they select as his replacement. TP and Hubbard I would think would be the top choices from within. Mazzone is also somebody tey might bring back. I’ll be surprised if they go outside the “family”.

Couldn’t win in the post-season.
-14 division titles when the NL East was a joke and he could only get the Braves over the hump once? He’s the Buffalo Bills of mid-90s baseball.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;433132]Yeah, he only won one, but he went to more than one. How many teams haven’t even been to a world series in that time frame?

I don’t know much about baseball and I certainly don’t follow it, but I know he won a lot of games for a long time.[/QUOTE]

True, but will be known for NOT winning more WS with that pitching rotation/talent.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;433132]Yeah, he only won one, but he went to more than one. How many teams haven’t even been to a world series in that time frame?

I don’t know much about baseball and I certainly don’t follow it, but I know he won a lot of games for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the great Red Sox that ESPN cums on themselves over only won 2 and spent a helluva lot more money and took more 'roids. Mets won one (I think), Phillies won one, Cubs shut out.

BTW, the series they lost to the Twins b/c of Lonnie Smith’s running blunder ranks as the best WS I have ever seen.

Plus, you have to remember, the Braves were a laughingstck before he and Shuerholz got there.

[QUOTE=Jersey Niner32;433149]Couldn’t win in the post-season.
-14 division titles when the NL East was a joke and he could only get the Braves over the hump once? He’s the Buffalo Bills of mid-90s baseball.[/QUOTE]

Call some Bills’ fans, bet they would love to have one.

[QUOTE=VA49er;433157]True, but will be known for NOT winning more WS with that pitching rotation/talent.[/QUOTE]

The premium on winning championships is ridiculous.

[QUOTE=Jersey Niner32;433149]Couldn’t win in the post-season.
-14 division titles when the NL East was a joke and he could only get the Braves over the hump once? He’s the Buffalo Bills of mid-90s baseball.[/QUOTE]

They weren’t in the NL East for all of those titles, and that dominance made other teams look like a joke. They came from 10 back to beat the Giants on the last day of the 1993 season, and they topped some good Mets teams in the late 90’s. For the record, I don’t think they would have caught Montreal in 1994 had that season played out. They were 6 games back and Montreal had their number.

[QUOTE=VA49er]True, but will be known for NOT winning more WS with that pitching rotation/talent[/QUOTE]

Yep, but the ticket was that they did not have a closer to finish out games. That starting pitching helped them win tons of regular season games and Division titles, but you have to have a great bullpen to win consistently in the postseason. The ONE year that they did have a finisher, they won. That was before Wohlers went off the deep end (or into the weeds if you believe the rumors). Post 1999, Maddux and Glavine were already losing their stuff. The ones the Braves really should have won were 1991 and 1996. They were pretty much equal in talent with the Twins and up 3 games to 2, and they had better talent than the Yankees in 1996. In 1992 and 1999 I think the Blue Jays and Yankees had more talent. Again, with a Rivera/Hoffman-like closer through that period I think they would have at least 2 more titles.

[QUOTE=X-49er;433166]They came from 10 back to beat the Giants on the last day of the 1993 season, and they topped some good Mets teams in the late 90’s. For the record, I don’t think they would have caught Montreal in 1994 had that season played out. They were 6 games back and Montreal had their number.[/QUOTE]

As a Giants fan, I hated them for '93. How in the **** do you win 103 games and not make the playoffs (yes they were 103-59 and missed the postseason)? That was ridiculous.

I agree re: '94. Montreal was the biggest victim of the strike, along with some earlier potential 'roid assaults on the HR records. That '94 Montreal team may have been enough to prevent the Nationals, but that’s not a horrible outcome. They were probably more like the '97 Marlins.

My biggest criticism on Cox is: how much credit does he get for being handed the best rotation of the past 20 years, and getting to keep the key pieces intact for a decade?

Couldn't win in the post-season. -14 division titles when the NL East was a joke and he could only get the Braves over the hump once? He's the Buffalo Bills of mid-90s baseball.

Ahhh, the misery of my sports life. I’m a diehard Bills, Braves and Niner fan.

Not sure why I haven’t offed myself yet to be honest.:smile:

[QUOTE=X-49er;433166]For the record, I don’t think they would have caught Montreal in 1994 had that season played out. [/QUOTE]

That '94 Expos team was damn good back in the day.

[QUOTE]1994 Montreal Expos
Opening Day Starters
Moises Alou
Sean Berry
Wil Cordero
Darrin Fletcher
Cliff Floyd
Marquis Grissom
Mike Lansing
Pedro Martinez
Larry Walker[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;433170]As a Giants fan, I hated them for '93. How in the **** do you win 103 games and not make the playoffs (yes they were 103-59 and missed the postseason)?
[/QUOTE]

The Braves were 104-58 and 7-6 against the Giants that year.

:biggrin:

[QUOTE=VA49er;433186]The Braves were 104-58 and 7-6 against the Giants that year.
:biggrin:[/QUOTE]
That was a very exciting pennant race, as was the race against the Dodgers in '91. I was at the Braves/Astros game on the next-to-last day of the season when the Braves clinched the NL West - it was awesome.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;433165]The premium on winning championships is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yep, but we don’t make the rules.

Hey if Bobby Cox retires, who’s going to teach the Braves to beat their wives.

I can’t believe Atlanta has let a wife beater coach for 10-15 years after he got caught. Nice example to kids in Georgia, dude!

And '94 should put an asterik on their consecutive titles.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;433195]Hey if Bobby Cox retires, who’s going to teach the Braves to beat their wives.

I can’t believe Atlanta has let a wife beater coach for 10-15 years after he got caught. Nice example to kids in Georgia, dude!

And '94 shut put an asterik on their consecutive titles.[/QUOTE]

There’s of plenty of people around to beat their wives, Ken- no worries.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;433195]Hey if Bobby Cox retires, who’s going to teach the Braves to beat their wives.

And '94 should put an asterik on their consecutive titles.[/QUOTE]

I hear your namesake will be plenty happy to come in to show them all how to beat their wives.