Cox to step down as Braves manager after 2010 season

Any thought as to who will replace him?

Hey if Bobby Cox retires, who's going to teach the Braves to beat their wives.

I can’t believe Atlanta has let a wife beater coach for 10-15 years after he got caught. Nice example to kids in Georgia, dude!

And '94 should put an asterik on their consecutive titles.

Hey SCK read this…

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19950510&id=ajYKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XksDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6108,1655227

you’re a perfect angel aren’t you?

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;433195]Hey if Bobby Cox retires, who’s going to teach the Braves to beat their wives.

I can’t believe Atlanta has let a wife beater coach for 10-15 years after he got caught. Nice example to kids in Georgia, dude!

And '94 should put an asterik on their consecutive titles.[/QUOTE]
How do you manage to breathe?

[QUOTE=Hooner49;433203]Any thought as to who will replace him?[/QUOTE]

I think they will definitely look in house for the next coach.

Of the current coaches they have on staff I think two options are Eddie Perez and Glenn Hubbard. If the White Sox have another disappointing this year they might look at Ozzie Guillen if he is available but I personally don’t think that would be a good fit.

Fredi Gonzalez is signed thru 2011 as Marlins manager but I would love to see them make a run at him if he is willing to leave. He has managed in both organizations so there is no telling where he would want to be but he has proven that he can win with less or equal talent than the Braves.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;433234]How do you manage to breathe?[/QUOTE]

Not by thinking. That’s for sure.

Not sure how many of you will remember this, but the funniest thing that came out of this was they asked Dave Bristol what he thought about it. He said and I quote, “If had to deal with that bullpen, I’d have cut her throat.”

What’s good ol John Rocker up to these days?

[QUOTE=cibik02;433313]What’s good ol John Rocker up to these days?[/QUOTE]
Eh, he’s probably in the Klan. I hated him.

Eh, he's probably in the Klan. I hated him.

I love Bobby and I loved Rocker…he fell victim of his own mouth (something I can relate to) but the man said what he thought no matter the situation. I appreciate that whether or not I think what he is saying is right or wrong. Too many people get caught up in trying to be politcally correct and not hurt people’s feelings…well i say…F^&# peoples feelings (joking of course).

Here is my favorite John Rocker interview:

Rocker made a number of comments stemming from his experiences in New York City, and answered a question about whether he would ever play for the New York Yankees or the New York Mets. Rocker’s response was accused of being racist, homophobic, and sexist:

“I’d retire first. It’s the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you’re riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It’s depressing… The biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country? [3]

During the interview, he also made his true feelings about the New York Mets and their fans known:

“Nowhere else in the country do people spit at you, throw bottles at you, throw quarters at you, throw batteries at you and say, ‘Hey, I did your mother last night — she’s a whore.’ I talked about what degenerates they were and they proved me right

I feel that way whenever I go to south Florida!

My biggest criticism on Cox is: how much credit does he get for being handed the best rotation of the past 20 years, and getting to keep the key pieces intact for a decade?

I get what you’re saying, but that’s similar to how much credit do you give Torre? He got to manage the team with the highest payroll. How much credit do you give Jeter? On the Yankee’s roster he’s a god. Put him on, say the Devil Rays, with the same #s he’s had with the Yankees, and he’s name doesn’t even get mentioned most of the season.

Yep, but the ticket was that they did not have a closer to finish out games. That starting pitching helped them win tons of regular season games and Division titles, but you have to have a great bullpen to win consistently in the postseason. The ONE year that they did have a finisher, they won.

So true. It’s easy to bash Maddux’s post season success. His career post season ERA was 3.27. His career regular season ERA was 3.16. It was also well known that Maddux didn’t get the same run support when he pitched as the other starters.

Tommy Hanson’s had that problem this season. Lowe has the highest ERA among the starters this year, but still has the most wins.

[QUOTE=Normmm;433348]So true. It’s easy to bash Maddux’s post season success. His career post season ERA was 3.27. His career regular season ERA was 3.16. It was also well known that Maddux didn’t get the same run support when he pitched as the other starters.

Tommy Hanson’s had that problem this season. Lowe has the highest ERA among the starters this year, but still has the most wins.[/QUOTE]

The reason Maddux and Glavine werent great post-season was that the Umps knew they were on National TV and made them throw strikes and they got shelled.

They were both great in the regular season when the Umps let them have 3-4 inches off the plate. Smoltz was a playoff pitcher.

[QUOTE=Normmm;433342]I get what you’re saying, but that’s similar to how much credit do you give Torre? He got to manage the team with the highest payroll. How much credit do you give Jeter? On the Yankee’s roster he’s a god. Put him on, say the Devil Rays, with the same #s he’s had with the Yankees, and he’s name doesn’t even get mentioned most of the season.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree vehemently on the Jeter thing.

Career .320 hitter over 15 years or so. Hits around that in the playoffs and is clutch as hell. Plays the toughest postion on the field, other than catcher, and doesn’t get hurt much.

If I was starting a team and knew I could any current player for 15 years, not sure he isn’t in my top 3, maybe #1 with all due respect to PHAT Albert. The dudes a flat out winner and you can’t teach that.

The reason Maddux and Glavine werent great post-season was that the Umps knew they were on National TV and made them throw strikes and they got shelled.

They were both great in the regular season when the Umps let them have 3-4 inches off the plate. Smoltz was a playoff pitcher.

Agreed. Smoltz was definitely the best playoff pitcher. And the strick zone definitely did shrink for both Maddux and Glavine. I was just pointing out that Maddux’s post season ERA was not all that much higher than his regular season ERA. Yet he’s perceived as a great regular season pitcher and terible post season. His post season ERA surprised me. I would have assumed it was at least 5.00, and probably higher.

Gotta disagree vehemently on the Jeter thing.

Career .320 hitter over 15 years or so. Hits around that in the playoffs and is clutch as hell. Plays the toughest postion on the field, other than catcher, and doesn’t get hurt much.

If I was starting a team and knew I could any current player for 15 years, not sure he isn’t in my top 3, maybe #1 with all due respect to PHAT Albert. The dudes a flat out winner and you can’t teach that.

I agree that Jeter is a great player. What I’m saying is if people are going to hold Cox’s accomplishments against him because of his pitching staff, I think people could do the same for Jeter. For instance if Jeter is a winner, would he have accomplished the same things in Tampa? Or is Jeter a winner because he’s been on the highest payroll roster and has played with Mariano Rivera? Rivera’s post season ERA is 0.77, while his regular season career ERA is 2.26.

I think if Jeter was on another team he might be perceived as a Todd Helton, Robbie Alomar or Craig Biggio type player.

EE9er have you not heard enough over the years about women defending their attackers to not see through that? There is never an excuse for hitting a woman.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;433426]EE9er have you not heard enough over the years about women defending their attackers to not see through that? There is never an excuse for hitting a woman.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Normmm;433421]I agree that Jeter is a great player. What I’m saying is if people are going to hold Cox’s accomplishments against him because of his pitching staff, I think people could do the same for Jeter. For instance if Jeter is a winner, would he have accomplished the same things in Tampa? Or is Jeter a winner because he’s been on the highest payroll roster and has played with Mariano Rivera? Rivera’s post season ERA is 0.77, while his regular season career ERA is 2.26.

I think if Jeter was on another team he might be perceived as a Todd Helton, Robbie Alomar or Craig Biggio type player.[/QUOTE]

OK - I buy that somewhat, especially since you mentioned Helton- big #'s but overlooked. But that may be more b/c of Coors Field.

But Jeter is a stone cold stud IMO and would raise the level of many a franchise.

Since this thread is about Cox, think about how much better the Braves would have been and how many more titles they would have won if the best SS in the era was Jeter and not Blauser. Mull that one over, kinda makes you think. HMMM

So uncctf if you tell me to shut up after I say there’s no excuse to hit a woman, then that means you think there is an excuse to hit a woman? Hmmmm…

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;433488]So uncctf if you tell me to shut up after I say there’s no excuse to hit a woman, then that means you think there is an excuse to hit a woman? Hmmmm…[/QUOTE]
Yep, that was EXACTLY what I meant. :rolleyes: