Curtis Withers Pre-Draft Camp

He is going to Portsmouth.

Here are the rosters:
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1248

Why does it say next to Dan Oppland’s(Valpo) name, Final Four?

C-Dub will own the boards. IT will be interesting to see if they play him at the 3 or 4. Of course he’s 4 in college but he need to be more of a 3 in NBA due to his height. PF are legit 6’9" in the pros. He’ll have to show he can take his man off the dribble and hit the jumper. If he does that and is all over the glass, he’ll be a second rounder.

curt really impressed me alot more with his handles in the second half of the season. I had seen it before but after his turnover problems at the end of last year and the begining of this year i really thought maybe i was mistaken until the 2nd half.

I hope Curt gets picked late first round so he can make a bundle of cash and enjoy the league but I would rather him not get picked like Eddie than get picked in the 2nd round. Almost all 2nd round picks are not guarenteed contracts and I would rather Curt be able to tryout for the teams that suit him best than to get picked by someone who ends up cutting him and seeing him overseas.

damn I wish him and vincent grier would have been on the same team! haha

maybe they will play against each other?

Curt’s team plays tonight at 9. Here is a link to the boxscores:
[URL=http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/]http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/[/URL]

Curt will do great at the pre-draft camps.

Everyone there tries to ball hog and show of their individual game which will lead to a TON of rebounding opportunities, which is where Curt excels.

He still does not have the jump shot, handles, defense or offensive moves to be a solid NBA prospect at his position…so don’t expect even a 2nd round draft selection.

He can be a rebounding machine for someone who needs it but his all around game is WELL short of NBA standards at his position.

When you think about it, our recent pro prospects have had holes in their game which kept them from making it at the next level.

It is not Lutz’s job to develop players for the NBA. He is supposed to put a winning team on the court.

Still, other programs manage to win while still funneling players into the NBA.

I am not sure if players don’t progress here like they should or if Lutz’s objective is to recruit players to do a certain job. If they want to become complete players, then it is up to them.

It would do a lot for recruiting if we had players in the NBA that were successful.

Curt did progress nicely here, though. He made a huge leap between his frosh and soph seasons. I don’t remember him being a highly touted recruit out of HS. I do agree, though. There have not been any for-sure NBA’ers out of Charlotte in a long time.

Both Eddie and Curtis made huge strides while at Charlotte (especially Eddie, every year he looked like a new and improved player). Eddie has turned that into a spot on an NBA roster, and with a chance to play, he could very well succeed. Withers will hopefully be in the same boat with an impressive summer league.

Neither were legit NBA players out of high school (Wither’s is a classic man without an NBA position and Eddie was just underrated), but both have legitimate shots at the NBA after they left here.

The most important sign of the coaching staff is that both of these guys progressed tremendously in their time here.

The TALENTED 4 excels in Lutz’s system. Demarco, Cam, Rodney and now Curt will play professionally. That’s one of the key selling points to Beasley. The 4 gets to showcase all around skills, not just play under basket and bang the boards. The 4 handles the ball, helps break the press, can pull up for three, traps, gets clear outs, posts down low, and works the two man game.

Beasley will definitely get to showcase his skills.

Curt’s team won tonight. He had 9 pts, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, and 0 turnovers. Great job, Curt!

[URL=http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/scores.html]http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/scores.html[/URL]

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;166878]The TALENTED 4 excels in Lutz’s system. Demarco, Cam, Rodney and now Curt will play professionally. That’s one of the key selling points to Beasley. The 4 gets to showcase all around skills, not just play under basket and bang the boards. The 4 handles the ball, helps break the press, can pull up for three, traps, gets clear outs, posts down low, and works the two man game.

Beasley will definitely get to showcase his skills.[/QUOTE]

Lefty, you are correct about the 4 position in Lutz’s system. You are also correct about Beasley (if he comes here).

But this thread is about Curt! (I think we have PLENTY of threads about Beasley already that you could have put your Beasley slanted reply in)

Curt will play professionally but not in the NBA. As some of us were trying to point out, Curt is a GREAT rebounder for his size…but that’s it. To have been showcased here, he never became more than an average defender, an average jump shooter, a below average ball-handler with below average hands…oh yeah…and very limited offensive post moves.

Curt can rebound with the best of them. But, for his size, he is well short of the NBA standard in every other area.

Just an opinion.

OUCH, Curt did not have a good game tonight.

Only played 14 min and was 0-7 with 3 rebounds and 2 turnovers. I guess in these games they typically change starters each game?

If Curtis was on the bubble of being picked in the second round, that outing may have knocked him out.

Portsmouth has a lot of good players but the cream of the crop does not play there. Playing poorly against that competition has to hurt him.

Still, there are some games left and maybe Curt can redeem himself.

If Curt picked up his defense I think he would fit in well with a team like the Nets. His job would be to get rebounds, especially offensive. He would just have to be good with the ball on the perimeter and han it off to VC, JKidd or RJ. He could be a good role player ala what David Lee will become once the Knicks fix things.

His team is playing for the championship today.

Curt’s team won the championship today against Vincent Grier’s team. He played much better tonight: 7-7 FG, 3-3 FT (WOW), 7 rebounds, and 1 steal.

Curt's team won the championship today against Vincent Grier's team. He played much better tonight: 7-7 FG, 3-3 FT (WOW), 7 rebounds, and 1 steal.

that may be just enough to forgive last nights performance.

Curt's team won the championship today against Vincent Grier's team. He played much better tonight: 7-7 FG, 3-3 FT (WOW), 7 rebounds, and 1 steal.

holy cripes 100% shooting.