CUSA TV Negotiations to Begin in Spring

I’m not very optimistic but negotiations for our next TV deal are about to get underway.

They need to push exposure as much as possible. At a minimum at CUSA TV app for devices and we need to leverage ESPN3 as much as possible.

Conference USA also launched its own in-house network, C-USA TV, last year. Member schools are responsible for producing games and subscription revenue goes right back to the schools."We've had a few hiccups," MacLeod said of the in-house production so far. "The growing pains continue but we're still making some strides. "Some of our schools are getting a lot better but we still have more to do quite frankly. We'll get better."
That's an extreme understatement. CUSA.tv should hire Campus Insiders to run the thing and start selling advertisements to offset some of the production costs.

clt says spring is already here.

Not sure what is on the table…

I will say that I have enjoyed having some CUSA games on ASN. We get that in the triangle.

I cannot reconcile any of the hand wringing and whining with the fact that I frequently see other leagues games televised on ESPN networks. We have already whored our schedule out for travel purposes, and we are not being paid squat; do whatever it takes to get on ESPN and at least make our games part of their college basketball narrative. CUSA doesn’t exist as far as ESPN is concerned.

I’d play HOOPS any night of the week they wanted. Plain and simple.

CUSA.tv absolutely needs an app and if schools are going to be in charge of their own production there has to be standards. You can’t just have your radio guy talking over a crappy stream. you have to have an on screen score and clock. There are no excuses for this.

For once, we weren’t the embarrassment of the conference though. Charlotte Athletics did a pretty good job of having a professional production with a high quality stream. Thank the Lord we did something well!

I agree with NA. The basketball scheduling has been an unmitigated disaster. The are Thursday/Saturday popular game nights for the P5 leagues making TV spots slim and the lack of interest in attending 2 games in 3 days as a fan hurts the environment. The lone unexpected bright spot has been the production quality of Campus Insiders game. I’m rooting for that outfit, they’ve done a great job.

I would whore out basketball and football games to whoever would broadcast them. Play any night of the week. TV at all is better than cusa.tv.

That’s tough, I don’t know if ESPN (which basically means ESPN3 on Saturdays) is worth it to me to play a home game football game on Tuesday or Wednesday unless there’s significant compensation. What we have now is awful but those 6:00 kick-offs are nice on Saturdays.

Wanna kill our football program, start playing games on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

I would not whore our football out. No. Just hoops.

Football - we have to decide if we want to be noon fodder for any chance at ESPN. Even then their inventory is deep. Still competing with low end P5 games, which they have dozens of (see 75% of B1G and Big 12 games).

How many people watch CUSA football games with how they are currently boradcast? 50K?

I’d rather prioritize in person attendance. Nothing that would get in the way of that. If that is all clear, then pursue TV.

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:13, topic:30831”]How many people watch CUSA football games with how they are currently boradcast? 50K?[/quote]depends on the channel. Some of the beIN games had 1000 or less. Our game against Marshall had 40,000 though I believe. At the time it aired, it was far and away the most watched beIN broadcast for cusa. Not sure how games after that performed.

ESPN games draw hundreds of thousands.

CBS sports games are tens of thousands.

ASN varies wildly by who is playing, but some games get decent numbers.

At this point I’d prefer to go all in with ESPN and at least ensure everything is on espn3.

[quote=“Ben H, post:14, topic:30831”]I’d rather prioritize in person attendance. Nothing that would get in the way of that. If that is all clear, then pursue TV.[/quote]I wouldn’t because that doesn’t help me watch away games.

How do you feel about playing a nationally televised AWAY GAME on a Tuesday or Wednesday night? I am in favor of that concept.

I’d be cool with one away game, but once those mid week games start they can turn into this http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=There-will-be-0-MAC-games-on-Saturdays-in-November-in-2017

No MAC games on Saturday the entire month of November.

Looks like there may be one less player in the new TV deal, ASN appears to be going away.

[quote=“chidave, post:19, topic:30831”]https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sinclair

Looks like there may be one less player in the new TV deal, ASN appears to be going away.[/quote]

I assume they go full steam ahead with BeIn