D1 hoop coach vacancies

If Baron were to end up at St. John’s, there would be many a happy Rhody fan!

Can’t see Dunphy leaving Temple as he really seems rooted to Philadelphia - La Salle alum and 2-time assistant, high school coach, Penn assistant and then head coach, and now with the Owls. In fact, since he began coaching in 1971, the only time he’s been out of the Philly-area is for a couple of short stints at Army (first coaching job) and American (early 1980s).

Not sure why Gregory would want to leave Dayton, especially with the class he has coming in. Iowa a much bigger rebuilding job than the one he inherited from Oliver Purnell at UD.

Anyway, my 2 cents…

[quote=“run49er, post:61, topic:22789”]If Baron were to end up at St. John’s, there would be many a happy Rhody fan!

Can’t see Dunphy leaving Temple as he really seems rooted to Philadelphia - La Salle alum and 2-time assistant, high school coach, Penn assistant and then head coach, and now with the Owls. In fact, since he began coaching in 1971, the only time he’s been out of the Philly-area is for a couple of short stints at Army (first coaching job) and American (early 1980s).

Not sure why Gregory would want to leave Dayton, especially with the class he has coming in. Iowa a much bigger rebuilding job than the one he inherited from Oliver Purnell at UD.

Anyway, my 2 cents…[/quote]

I read somewhere that Gregory told Iowa he wasn’t interested. Of course, can’t really put much into that, prime example: the Sean Miller saga last year with him saying he wasn’t interested then next thing you know he’s the next head coach at AZ.

Zagoria reporting McCaffery to Iowa almost a done deal: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/03/28/mccaffery-to-iowa-nearly-done/

Iona’s Kevin Willard headed to Seton Hall.

Willard to Seton Hall? He’s had some success at rebuilding Iona, but I didn’t expect that big a jump this year.

Two straight hires that I did not expect, though perhaps they are related (as I thought McCaffrey would end up at Seton Hall or St. John’s).

That seals it, we should definitely make a play for Mike Rice.

Central Florida Hires Marshall’s Jones

Central Florida filled, Marshall open…

Marshall to UCF seems like a lateral move. I guess Orlando is better than Huntington, West Virginia though.

That seals it, we should definitely make a play for Mike Rice.[/quote]Especially with Saint John’s courting the likes of Steve Lavin. Rice probably doesn’t have a big enough ‘name’ for the Johnnies.

Seton Hall- Willard from Iona

Oregon

Iowa- McCaffery from Sienna

St Johns

Auburn- Barbee from UTEP (got 1.5m per yr)

Depaul

Charlotte

Sienna

UTEP

Toledo

Hawaii - USC asst

Marshall-

Iona-

ECU - Lebo from Auburn

UCF - Jones from Marshall

Boise State- Rice from Gonzaga

Fordham - Pecora from Hof

Hofstra

Dartmouth

GardnerWebb

ULL- Marlin from SHS

Penn

UNCW

Wagner

UC Irvine

Interesting that Jones goes to UCF and the next day Whiteside declares for the NBA Draft, although it was stated the Whiteside had declared earlier, which makes this “lateral” move seem a lot less lateral now that he was losing his big time player…

If I am Marshall, I take a very hard look at Lutz.

[quote=“ninerID, post:72, topic:22789”]If I am Marshall, I take a very hard look at Lutz.[/quote]Agree. They still have half his former recruits on the team.

Boston Globe reporting Skinner may be gone no matter what happens with St. John’s opening:

Boston.com: Skinner’s future at BC in doubt

As concerns Jones move from Marshall to UCF, from what I’ve read a lot had to do with the new AD at former versus the new AD at the latter. UCF AD committed to men’s hoops, while the Marshall AD - a former Herd football player - not so much. A new Nike contract, plus a $100 million arena and chartered flights at UCF, didn’t hurt either (not to mention the increase in pay!). So Jones leaves his home state of West Virginia yet again for his adopted one of Florida.

[quote=“run49er, post:74, topic:22789”]Boston Globe reporting Skinner may be gone no matter what happens with St. John’s opening:

Boston.com: Skinner’s future at BC in doubt

As concerns Jones move from Marshall to UCF, from what I’ve read a lot had to do with the new AD at former versus the new AD at the latter. UCF AD committed to men’s hoops, while the Marshall AD - a former Herd football player - not so much. A new Nike contract, plus a $100 million arena and chartered flights at UCF, didn’t hurt either (not to mention the increase in pay!). So Jones leaves his home state of West Virginia yet again for his adopted one of Florida.[/quote]

BC is going to find it hard to get good coaches if it keeps firing its current coaches for having interest in potential jobs.

Dunphy refutes he’s involved in St. John’s search…

Philly.com: Temple’s Dunphy denies interest in St. John’s job

Lavin looks like a go at St. John’s and apparently with an all-star coaching staff.

Apparently Lou Carnessaca is meeting with Lavin at Lavin’s request. Lavin was close to Wooden and is big on tradition.

So I guess Mike Rice won’t be hired anywhere?

I thought Fordham would have hit the lotto if they hired their alum/former basketball team captain to be their next head coach. But it doesn’t sound like he was seriously considered. I guess that’s what happens when your school is stupid enough to hire Linda Bruno to lead your head coach search committee.

Skinner out. Add BC to the list Metro.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncb/news/story?id=5039956

Marlin leaves SHSU and goes to Loiusiana Lafeyette.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5038576

Is that an improvement?

Lavin to St Johns is and almost certainty.

Matt Doherty publicly blasts the St. John’s job:

[font=arial][size=14px]"Well, you know, I'm a New Yorker. My sister went there. My niece went there. It's not a good job. I mean, I'm just going to tell you straight up. St. John's has a little bit of an inflated feeling about themselves. It's not a good job. Paul Hewitt has a better job. Billy Donovan has a way better job. Rick Pitino. I think they took a little risk by going after big names and then all of a sudden momentum now is swinging against them so they're dropping down. I think it makes them look a little bit bad. But it's not a good job. Facility wise, yeah, there's some talent in New York but there's a lot of politics in New York that you have to address. And so it's not the job that the St. John's family thinks it is. And that's what they're facing right now, the reality."[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=14px]Maybe he's pissed because they turned him down for the job?[/size][/font]