Darion Clark transferring

Sounds like he wants to start more.

Certainly is disappointing, no matter what the “real” reason is for the transfer. Clark had promise, even if he was limited as a freshman. Maybe he had attitude issues, maybe he didn’t, but losing a post player when the team is so thin in the post is a bad sign. It’s also troubling that we’ve ended up yet again with an extremely unbalanced roster.

I concur with others above that the recruiting class is starting to add to the concern moreso than the Clark transfer. If we start adding multiple jucos (which may be necessary in these circumstances, but the end result is the same), then I think it’s official that we are not rebuilding the program like it needs to be rebuilt. We’d essentially be running to stand still just like we were at the end of Lutz’ time here, and that’s a depressing thought when the program is changing to a new conference with even greater challenges than the A10 posed.

Major is going to have to either succeed with a severely limited roster or pull a recruiting rabbit out of his hat. The last two years, I gave some leeway as a supportive fan for his having a limited roster but some promising recruits coming in, these next two years not so much.

Maybe we should just start playing like VCU and press constantly with 4 guards and one PF/C?

Exactly.

It’s always “oh this guy was not a team player” or “his body language sucked” or “he wasn’t really that good”

Maybe our basketball program is the cancer.

I’m sorry but I can not possibly fathom how this is anyone but Darion’s fault. For more than half the year, Darion(as a freshman) started ahead of a senior in Braswell and played a lot of minutes. He started to do worse, and his ego got the best of him. He always was hanging his head and looked like he could care less about the team just because he had a slump towards the end of the season. Good players would keep on fighting during the off-season to get better, but Darion has bailed on us. Good riddance, now its time for Mike Thorne to shine.

p.s…Mike Thorne has been in Darion’s situation for a while now, and you do not see him transferring out and hanging his head in disappointment game after game. He is always in the SAC working on his game and getting better.

Exactly. If anyone was justified to be upset over playing time, it would be Thorne. Clarke got lots of minutes for a freshman who had a predicted All-A10 player in front of him on the depth chart, as well as a freshman who was outstanding. Extremely disappointed that Clarke feels this way, but if he’s going to make it an issue in the locker room and on the court then he needs to move on.

One thing is certain. If you do not fit Major’s script you are out of here on a rail.

Major described himself as a player’s Coach. Interesting.

If staff knew about this (which I think they would) and we still did not get Atewe gives me great concern.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:46, topic:27725”]One thing is certain. If you do not fit Major’s script you are out of here on a rail.

If staff knew about this (which I think they would) and we still did not get Atewe gives me great concern.[/quote]

I’ll never understand the concern about losing a prospect. The kid made his own decision. We can’t make it for him. What’re we supposed to do, break out the Jedi mind melds?

(Yes, that’s an Obama joke.)

This is disappointing but if he can’t hack life in a competitive program then maybe it’s best he is moving on. I have no sympathy for a freshman who got to play so many minutes. As far as the overall direction goes maybe we are suffering because of the “tight ship” approach that our Department takes. If that is the cause I can live with it. If you can’t come in and be a team player, progress towards a degree and follow the rules (with all the incredible resources at their disposal) then it’s best that you do move on. This institution is bigger than any one player or coach or employee.

Every off season you take a hit. As I grow older I’m more and more convinced this is pretty standard everywhere. It’s a player leaving, a player getting kicked off the team, a player becoming academically ineligible.

This isn’t the college basketball we saw in the 80’s-90’s. This is the new brand of basketball. A new culture. Constant flux for everyone. It’s all about ability to recover. That and making fanbases sick to their stomach a few times a year.

Keep on moving. Good luck Clarke. No earthly idea what happened and hate to lose you as a part of the family. We’re still Charlotte and we’ll always be Charlotte.

[quote=“bballfanatic23, post:44, topic:27725”]I’m sorry but I can not possibly fathom how this is anyone but Darion’s fault. For more than half the year, Darion(as a freshman) started ahead of a senior in Braswell and played a lot of minutes. He started to do worse, and his ego got the best of him. He always was hanging his head and looked like he could care less about the team just because he had a slump towards the end of the season. Good players would keep on fighting during the off-season to get better, but Darion has bailed on us. Good riddance, now its time for Mike Thorne to shine.

p.s…Mike Thorne has been in Darion’s situation for a while now, and you do not see him transferring out and hanging his head in disappointment game after game. He is always in the SAC working on his game and getting better.[/quote]

Well the bottom line is like Mayfield, they are Major’s players. He is held accountable right or wrong. Yes Clark made a decision that is best for him, but it is Major’s job to avoid situations like this. I could understand Bobby’s players leaving and I understand that this happens in college basketball, but the combo impact here of having lost Mayfield and Clark and that now we basically have no one in this recruiting class is seriously bad news. I know Lester is coming in, but I count him in last season even though he couldn’t play. What I don’t want is to see Major get an extension after a poor season next year because Demario and Darion messed up his plan. He is the coach and as the man running the program he is supposed to navigate this new world and keep us on track. As many have stated this is the new world of college basketball, so it isn’t going to stop with Clark and if Major can’t guide the program through events like this then he isn’t the man to lead the program.

For me the bottom line is no tourny this year and I have to really reconsider my basketball season tickets for the family. I can just go buy 1 and be fine, dragging the wife and kid to watch the shit show is getting harder and harder.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:47, topic:27725”][quote=“TheShowDawg, post:46, topic:27725”]One thing is certain. If you do not fit Major’s script you are out of here on a rail.

If staff knew about this (which I think they would) and we still did not get Atewe gives me great concern.[/quote]

I’ll never understand the concern about losing a prospect. The kid made his own decision. We can’t make it for him. What’re we supposed to do, break out the Jedi mind melds?

(Yes, that’s an Obama joke.)[/quote]
Not necessarily saying it is a bad thing. Past staffs definitely handled things differently. Major actually runs things like a BCS coach who can over recruit or fill in on decisions like this. Unfortunately this spring I see no BCS volume type signings to fill this void.

Ever had a decision made for you by the situation you were put in? Not saying it is the case with Clarke but I think it is the case with past transfers. I do not know what Clarke was told coming in but I did not get the feeling he was on the same page with the staff toward the end of the year when his weaknesses became more evident.
This is D1 BB even at the mid major level so the same rules apply. Kids unfortunately get pushed out every day. Just need to step up the signings and try to rework the roster balance. It is a mess.

Not worried about transfer. Am worried now about having a body to throw down low. Gotta get someone…anyone lol. We all could see he was not happy. I try not to put too much blame on these kids. They are 16-18 year olds making life changing decisions. It has to be tough. He got playing time. Performed pretty good. When we started playing better teams…he really struggled. Oh well…time to move on.

You cannnot look past our player retention issues. Would be far too much speculation on anyone’s part to guess what’s going on. And transfers/player defections do happen. But not this often, and not to so many primary rotation players.

Am beginning to have doubts in the entire coaching staff. I know they play it close to the vest, but the smoke signals are not promising.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:53, topic:27725”]You cannnot look past our player retention issues. Would be far too much speculation on anyone’s part to guess what’s going on. And transfers/player defections do happen. But not this often, and not to so many primary rotation players.

Am beginning to have doubts in the entire coaching staff. I know they play it close to the vest, but the smoke signals are not promising.[/quote]

Who is this? I can’t think of one primary player who transferred. Briscoe? Maybe my memory is not great but Luka, KJ, Briscoe? I truly can’t remember who else. Mayfield got kicked off.

[font=calibri]This off season has been a disaster.[/font]
[font=calibri]We know we needed to replace Braswell’s minutes (I don’t think we ever had that addressed) now missing Clark’s 18 mpg make that hole even more glaring- we don’t have the bodies to do it. Taking the early recruiting season off and putting all of your eggs in the Atewe basket this spring was really a huge fuck up by the staff. Now we are left at picking through the dregs of this class. Really a bad job.[/font]

Well, tis par for the course for a Niner offseason. Hopefully this will be the only one.

One transfer isn’t a big deal. A recurring theme of a coach being unable to handle the people management aspect of his job is a concern.

Seems like coach doesn’t put up with an bulls&*t from players. Which is good until you run out of players.

As a fanbase, we want clarity on the issue.

I do agree with S though about this recruiting season. Regardless of the reasons, this has been a huge whiff. We missed out on our primary target(s) and couldnt retain a significant rotation player at a thin position.

Not good, regardless of the reasons.

I also am dismayed that SIZE KING will probably be forced to play 1 in and 4 out with an undersized, out of position post player and a slew of undersized guards/wings who are one dimensional. The 4 out only works if the guards can all drive and pull up for a J/get their own shot.

Quite frankly, just the thought of wasting Clayton at the 5 makes me really annoyed. Mainly because we have done the same thing to other players so many times in our past (way before major showed up). Clayton alongside a real 5 would be a real tough matchup for many teams.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:59, topic:27725”]As a fanbase, we want clarity on the issue.

I do agree with S though about this recruiting season. Regardless of the reasons, this has been a huge whiff. We missed out on our primary target(s) and couldnt retain a significant rotation player at a thin position.

Not good, regardless of the reasons.

I also am dismayed that SIZE KING will probably be forced to play 1 in and 4 out with an undersized, out of position post player and a slew of undersized guards/wings who are one dimensional. The 4 out only works if the guards can all drive and pull up for a J/get their own shot.[/quote]
Wondering if the move to CUSA is hurting more than folks realize. I mean last year we got a good class, this year, after the announced move, nothing.