David Scott on Alan Major

Great article other than some bad information at the end.

Next week's Charleston Classic includes a second-round game against either N.C. State or Georgetown.

Link: Major focused, prepared as a first-time head coach, CharlotteObserver.com

Made front page Sports section. Picture and story. A-10 and SoCon Charlotte and Davidson previews paired together.

Soccer tournament preview on page 2 but not clear its being hosted by Charlotte.

[quote=“LeftyNiner, post:2, topic:24290”]Made front page Sports section. Picture and story. A-10 and SoCon Charlotte and Davidson previews paired together.

Soccer tournament preview on page 2 but not clear its being hosted by Charlotte.[/quote]
Decent piece on Major. Pathetic details in the preview box for the team. No radio info, webcast info, tix info

And a season preview of the 7th ranked A10…glad its publicized so well. I understand there are many SOCON grads and no ill will there, but this is case in point why the Observer should not be allowed on campus. Obviously no thought goes into the A10 info until the night before. Its second rate from a second rate source.

This is all an exercise in laziness by the Observer. They already “subscribe” to a stats service that has all the A10 links, skeds, stats, etc that is in the College Hoops section of the sports page online. However finding it requires the Duey Decimal System. If you do an A10 preview, show some A10 info. s*** LIKE THIS IS WHY NOBODY KNOWS WHO WE PLAY.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=charlotte2&page=cbask/conf/atlantic10/league.aspx?league=Atlantic%2010

And this team link is NEVER attached to our stories. NEVER

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=charlotte2&page=cbask/conf/atlantic10/team.aspx?id=A51

I got my name in the article.

Major (skip this) [b][size=4]aced [/size][/b]the interview

I wish the Observer would go ahead and change it’s name to the North Carolina Observer, because it sure doesn’t do much observation of Charlotte.

Great article, but why not do one on the seniors as well? Schedule breakdown?

[quote=“J Felt, post:6, topic:24290”]I wish the Observer would go ahead and change it’s name to the North Carolina Observer, because it sure doesn’t do much observation of Charlotte.

Great article, but why not do one on the seniors as well? Schedule breakdown?[/quote]

Yea it’s not like you can’t just get some fool off the street to do a roster preview for you… am I right?

This is actually the Team and A-10 “preview” by the Observer, not just an Alan Major story.

[quote=“LeftyNiner, post:8, topic:24290”]This is actually the Team and A-10 “preview” by the Observer, not just an Alan Major story.[/quote] That preview is awfully sparse. More info on the players likely to play important roles would be nice. I.e. not just their names and positions they play, but what their strengths are and areas of development that will be interesting to watch. E.g. Derrio Green’s season is going to be a compelling story, based on what we saw last year. But the reader would have no idea about this drama that is about to unfold. Frustrating.

Of course! Why would they want to get anyone interested in actually going to the games?!

Very good article… why is there soo much damn whining on here? gracious… Take a break from the daily grind and see whining… cant get better

Cough http://greentintedglasses.net/2010/10/charlotte-49ers-2010-2011-roster-breakdown/ Cough

Cough http://greentintedglasses.net/2010/11/charlotte-49ers-2010-2011-roster-breakdown-part-2/ Cough

Trying to be nice here…So do you understand how vital a role local media is to getting your message out to casual fans? Its very important in creating a fan base and keeping it. Take a look at the A10 newspaper links. Our paper is 13th out of 14 (thx Fordham) in covering the “home team.”

Being happy with anything from the almighty Observer graciously gives you is the wrong approach. This is a city of 2m, the 23 biggest tv market, 7th best NCAA league last year, and a university of 25k…who’s been to the NCAAs 8 of last 15 yrs and a Final 4.

They preview the SW4A better. Don’t accept it.

REMEMBER, the only way to ever get games on TV for this market is to have eyeballs interested so advertising inventory is sold. It takes winning AND FAVORABLE MEDIA.

Trying to be nice here…So do you understand how vital a role local media is to getting your message out to casual fans? Its very important in creating a fan base and keeping it. Take a look at the A10 newspaper links. Our paper is 13th out of 14 (thx Fordham) in covering the “home team.”

Being happy with anything from the almighty Observer graciously gives you is the wrong approach. This is a city of 2m, the 23 biggest tv market, 7th best NCAA league last year, and a university of 25k…who’s been to the NCAAs 8 of last 15 yrs and a Final 4.

They preview the SW4A better. Don’t accept it.

REMEMBER, the only way to ever get games on TV for this market is to have eyeballs interested so advertising inventory is sold. It takes winning AND FAVORABLE MEDIA.[/quote]

Good post.

I don’t know David Scott from Adam, I’m sure he’s a doll… HOWEVER, this “preview” is shit.

1. No league overview. Is it really that much to ask to have a capsule for all teams 1 time per year? It’d be real nice for the Observer subscriber to know even a snippet about who the A10 is, what teams are good, and what players might be worth checking out?

2. No player coverage. Hell, tell me about the seniors if telling me about the entire team is too much to ask.

3. What are the story lines the city of Charlotte should know about with the team, the schedule, the league?? I’m sure if UNCch had a player awaiting NCAA clearance they would make ESPN’s coverage of Favre look tame.

You don’t need a Pulitzer to be able to give us the 5 W’s about the A10 and the local D1 squad in 2 pages of the Sports Section- What’s really going to piss me off is when we have the ACC Handbook Observer sports section next week. I’m sure by next Friday the casual fan will be able to tell you how many pubes Harrison Barnes has on the left side of his sack but couldn’t tell you if Charlotte had more than 3 players.

sig

Here is Elon’s pre-season write-up - http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-38492-firepower-poised.html

That’s how a hometown team should be covered. It’s not in the online version, but today’s print edition also included the full schedule and returning starters and their stats from last year.

Richard Walker wrote a far more interesting story earlier in the week about Major in the Gaston Gazette than what appeared in the Observer today.

When Utter went full time to NASCAR, I think David Scott drew the short straw.

Mike P - “David, we have a choice for you. You can be our UNCC beat writer or you can look for a new career.”

David - “Well, the economy is still in the tank, so I guess writing about UNCC is better than flipping burgers at Cook Out”

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:7, topic:24290”][quote=“J Felt, post:6, topic:24290”]I wish the Observer would go ahead and change it’s name to the North Carolina Observer, because it sure doesn’t do much observation of Charlotte.

Great article, but why not do one on the seniors as well? Schedule breakdown?[/quote]

Yea it’s not like you can’t just get some fool off the street to do a roster preview for you… am I right?[/quote]

Huh? Ok, I admit, you lost me on that one. Are you saying anyone on the street knows about our roster? Not if they read the Observer, they don’t. Or were you trying to say something else?