Davidson Officially joins the A10

What does this mean for us?

Well for me it means 2 things - games against them just got tougher as they should be able to recruit better and the rivalry just went up a notch.

https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel/status/331815466773381120

They’ll have to work hard to get back to the top. You can win the SoCon with a crew that will finish dead last in the A10.

Haven’t followed this much is this a basketball only move?

[quote=“shaqots, post:5, topic:27768”]Haven’t followed this much is this a basketball only move?[/quote]Basketball only moves are not allowed.

Even with a diluted A10, Davidson is taking a big step up in competition over the SoCon. Will be curious to see how their recruiting changes.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22072822/a-10-close-to-adding-davidson

This was from earlier today. I did a search and couldn’t find anything official. Nothing in the Disturber.

Davidson fits perfectly in the A-10, small private school with a high school gym.

I agree with this. Their recruiting will inevitably go up in quality. How far up is debatable given the reduction in quality at the top of the A10, but most likely our days of beating them via sheer athleticism are numbered.

It will increase the competitiveness of the rivalry and it will be incumbent upon Charlotte to hold the line for our new conference.

Now for Davidson fans they may be in for a rude awakening. They are moving out of the little pond into deeper water. No telling how their fans are going to take not waltzing through the conference every year. In addition to that they will miss the NCAA’s more frequently and again that will be tough for them to take.

I have mentioned this before in previous posts. These schools that have been competing in the SoCon are likely to find life just a bit more uncomfortable for their fan bases. These are transitions that Charlotte has been through years ago. We have been through the tough times and we have stayed loyal and committed. I hope they are up for it.

Have a feeling Davidson is going to have a tough time their first couple years against some of the more physical teams in the A10. It will take them a couple years to get A10 level players into the program. If our athleticism and defense gave them problems last year, then VCU is going to abuse them bad.

In the long run, it’ll probably be a good fit for them though. I wonder if they’ll try to get the league to add CoC. If they do, Davidson will have much better rationality than we did with UR, VCU, GMU, GWU, and CoC all being a reasonable drive away.

I agree with this. Their recruiting will inevitably go up in quality. How far up is debatable given the reduction in quality at the top of the A10, but most likely our days of beating them via sheer athleticism are numbered.

It will increase the competitiveness of the rivalry and it will be incumbent upon Charlotte to hold the line for our new conference.

Now for Davidson fans they may be in for a rude awakening. They are moving out of the little pond into deeper water. No telling how their fans are going to take not waltzing through the conference every year. In addition to that they will miss the NCAA’s more frequently and again that will be tough for them to take.

I have mentioned this before in previous posts. These schools that have been competing in the SoCon are likely to find life just a bit more uncomfortable for their fan bases. These are transitions that Charlotte has been through years ago. We have been through the tough times and we have stayed loyal and committed. I hope they are up for it.[/quote]

One thing that will hamper them significantly is their travel budget. The socon is so small. They also don’t change any academic requirements for athletes. It will be interesting for sure.

I have mentioned this before in previous posts. These schools that have been competing in the SoCon are likely to find life just a bit more uncomfortable for their fan bases. These are transitions that Charlotte has been through years ago. We have been through the tough times and we have stayed loyal and committed. I hope they are up for it.[/quote]

One thing that will hamper them significantly is their travel budget. The socon is so small. They also don’t change any academic requirements for athletes. It will be interesting for sure.[/quote]

Agreed I think academic requirements and travel budget will actually hinder them in the A-10.

Isn’t Davidson losing a few starters?

[quote=“Timo99, post:15, topic:27768”]Isn’t Davidson losing a few starters?[/quote]DC lost at least one of their best players. I think they lost 2 or 3 of their top 5 scorers and they’ll lose Brooks after this season.

They could very well end up starting play in the A10 with a very young squad.

Plus coach McKillop will not be there forever. They will struggle to replace him.

[quote=“Gassman, post:17, topic:27768”]Plus coach McKillop will not be there forever. They will struggle to replace him.[/quote]He’s only 63. He could still coach for another 10 years…or he could coach for 2. Who knows. Seems like he’s happy coaching though, so I bet he’ll be there for quite a while.

I’ll be honest – for the first time ever I’m actually a bit jealous from a basketball standpoint.

You’ll never convince me that current CUSA basketball is better than the A10, even after X, Temple, and Butler leave. Congrats to the kitties. Should make the rivalry more fun, or at least more competitive. We had better do our job in CUSA.

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27768”]I’ll be honest – for the first time ever I’m actually a bit jealous from a basketball standpoint.

You’ll never convince me that current CUSA basketball is better than the A10, even after X, Temple, and Butler leave. Congrats to the kitties. Should make the rivalry more fun, or at least more competitive. We had better do our job in CUSA.[/quote]

How about once St.Louis and possible Dayton leave?