Dear consulting group...

ā€¦per the Observer this morning about the consulting group trying to identify what will help our ā€œbrandā€

Dear consulting group,
you can save yourselves alot of labor, time, and resources and collect a fat check from UNCC by coming to terms with two obstacles in our brand:

1. Name change (U of C or Charlotte U.)
  2. football

if you fail to include those in your study, you have failed your mission. Of course, its already been stated that UNCC informed the research company that neither of those are to be included as solutions to ā€œbrand.ā€

I am sure the results will simply say:
ā€œneed more uptown railā€
ā€œneed more uptown buildingsā€

Nice Metroā€¦ I was wondering when they would print stuff about this. Thanks!
BTW, like the sig.

What kills me is that a MAJOR part of the branding research needs to be about the name change, but like football they are refusing to actually look at what it would do for them. Football = Most likely a positive change, but they refuse to put together a serious study about it. Name Change = Most likely a positive change, but they refuse to put together a serious study about it. By not studying these they can continue to give their lame excuses to those that support the changes. So they sit and wonder why alumni giving is low and alumni participation is lacking. Thanks administrationā€¦ yaā€™ll are great.

I personally donā€™t see how a name change would be beneficial or negative to the university. Iā€™m pretty indifferent to it. It ranks on the bottom of things to do in my opinion. I think adding a law school, med school, football, more doctoral programs, and more research facilities all rank higher in importance.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;201337]I personally donā€™t see how a name change would be beneficial or negative to the university. Iā€™m pretty indifferent to it. It ranks on the bottom of things to do in my opinion. I think adding a law school, med school, football, more doctoral programs, and more research facilities all rank higher in importance.[/QUOTE]

Here is the thing thoughā€¦ really in the grand scheme of things the name change will not cost THAT much money and the longer we wait the harder it is to do. It makes more sense to change the name BEFORE we have all the things you list, even though in terms of importance it is not that high. I do agree with everything on your list though!

I personally don't see how a name change would be beneficial or negative to the university. I'm pretty indifferent to it. It ranks on the bottom of things to do in my opinion. I think adding a law school, med school, football, more doctoral programs, and more research facilities all rank higher in importance.

I want all of those too. But like WB said, I donā€™t want to get a med school or something, it have a major breakthrough, and like so many times an article come out and it be ā€œThe University of North Carolina has found thatā€¦ā€

This is a link to an article:
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/16086595.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/16086595.htm[/URL]

[B]WHATā€™S ON THE TABLE:[/B]
Pretty much everything except the schoolā€™s official name and athletics department.

This is a link to Texas-Arlingtonā€™s success with a branding study:
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/local/16086592.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/local/16086592.htm[/URL]

If we spend $250,000 and get ā€œBe a Ninerā€ and a better looking website, someone needs to go to the gallows.

If we start new majors can we please elect to get Rocket Science and Brain Surgery? That way we can say ā€œit actually did take a rocket scientist and a brain surgeon to get the school to change the name and get footballā€

[URL=http://yellowpages.aol.com/business/stamats-communications-inc/cedar-rapids/ia/0,103906255/?_dlc=36&_dis=1&_dirsview=sponsors&_dirskip=0&_dgid=0%2c103906255&_dgskip=0%2c12&_dircid=103906255&_diradid=0&_diraction=detail&_dircat=731101&_dirbizname=stamats%2dcommunications%2dinc&_dircity=Cedar+Rapids&_dirstate=IA&_dirlat=420083&_dirlong=%2d916439&_dirdma=105]http://yellowpages.aol.com/business/stamats-communications-inc/cedar-rapids/ia/0,103906255/?_dlc=36&_dis=1&_dirsview=sponsors&_dirskip=0&_dgid=0%2C103906255&_dgskip=0%2C12&_dircid=103906255&_diradid=0&_diraction=detail&_dircat=731101&_dirbizname=stamats-communications-inc&_dircity=Cedar+Rapids&_dirstate=IA&_dirlat=420083&_dirlong=-916439&_dirdma=105[/URL]

Voice your opinion.

I love how we outsource everything. Hired a firm from NY to design our logoā€¦hire a firm in Iowa to diagnose a problem in NC.

It really warms my heart when I hear about fees like that getting paid out of tax and grant money to diagnose a problem when we already have an obvious solution. $250K to make a diagnosis, and we canā€™t fork out the money for a football team? It all makes complete sense now. sarcasm

What 2 things invovlving the Niners will the head honchos of the UNC System object to the most? My guess is probably a name change and football. So I get the feeling the ā€œleaders?ā€ of our school are simply going through the motions to make themselves look good more than anything.

It will be interesting to see if RWorkmanā€™s suggestions even make the list. I agree with all of those. A med school, law school, etc would definitely enhance the image of the school, and it burns me up that we donā€™t have any of those (along with football) yet.

From nineronline.com

[QUOTE]
ben

posted 11/23/06 @ 2:05 PM EST

At first I thought ā€œThe University of Charlotteā€ sounded really lame, like a lower level school, but I can see where due to the fact that we are now established in the minds of professors and students that it wouldnt stop them coming here because they realize we are a legitament institution. So after a lot of thought, I say lets go for it. It might be good for us to have a name makeover during our complete campus makeover.

Hey, they already refer to us as Charlotte on espn anyway, so why not.
[/QUOTE]

ā€˜Benā€™ was arguing against the name change but is now saying ā€œletā€™s go for itā€. Could Ben be Ben Comstock? Can someone check into this?

I personally don't see how a name change would be beneficial or negative to the university. I'm pretty indifferent to it. It ranks on the bottom of things to do in my opinion. I think adding a law school, med school, football, more doctoral programs, and more research facilities all rank higher in importance.

And you know, if the consultancy group concluded the same, Iā€™d be able to stomach it. What gives me a bad taste in my mouth is that itā€™s taken off the table before they have the option to consider it.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;201395]And you know, if the consultancy group concluded the same, Iā€™d be able to stomach it. What gives me a bad taste in my mouth is that itā€™s taken off the table before they have the option to consider it.[/QUOTE]
The consulting group has already been given a set of bobbleheads and theyā€™re all bobbing up and down to whatever the suits on campus say. This is a complete waste of money if the name change is not possibly on the table.

It is a complete waste of money when you take anything off the table, it skews the results. Why pay good money and take away anything?

So basically they are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to repeat the same thoughts and excuses the administration has already been spitting out. Things like this should make people worry. This can tell a great deal about how an administration will handle issues. To limit your possibilities even before the analysis has been done can show narrow mindedness, and fear of considering opinions other than your own. Attitudes like this from leadership positions can be a dangerous thing.

I agree. How do you sayā€¦I wanna pay you about ideas on how we can brand ourselves better, but donā€™t go in these 2 obvious directions, we donā€™t wanna hear about that.

Way to go.

Cant we bribe anyone?

From nineronline.com

ā€˜Benā€™ was arguing against the name change but is now saying ā€œletā€™s go for itā€. Could Ben be Ben Comstock? Can someone check into this?

I highly doubt it.

The only difference this is going to make is that U of Charlotte will still be called UNC Charlotte, we will not get football and weā€™ll be out $250K. So, nothing will change except an Iowa consulting firm will be $250K richer. Period.

The only difference this is going to make is that U of Charlotte will still be called UNC Charlotte, we will not get football and we'll be out $250K. So, nothing will change except an Iowa consulting firm will be $250K richer. Period.

Bullshit, we will get told that we need to make our website better.

I suggest a flash intro page with the UNC Chapel Hill logo spinning around with Dubois shaking hands with roy williams and butch davis. I mean its basically chapel hill that causes us to get students, faculty and research right?