Death Cab for Cutie coming to Davidson's Belk Arena

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;387860]The big shows became VERY unpopular when Wyclef (back when he was big) played Halton. It was embarassing to have such a name, then have less than 1,000 people show up. That is when it was decided not to have big shows. These concerts are for the students, and if the students don’t show up, then what’s the point of having them.

What is sorely missed, though, are the comedy acts that would be pulled into the Cone Center. They are alot cheaper to bring in and a good night out for the students. Why did the comedy shows slow down?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, and thats what I mentioned earlier, but While I think Wyclef is awesome, If I picked up my phone and called 5 random people out of the wide variety of people I know, I’d venture a guess that maybe 2 would be excited or even know about Wyclef.

I would say big name comedy acts is the way to go. Everyone loves comedy. Or bands that everyone knows. And those music guru’s will complain its not music, but whatever, its what people will come to see.

But personally, bring some Chappelle or Russel Peters, or some other comedy acts, and I promise those shows will be full. Its gotta be better then bringing in some local hs emo band…

[QUOTE=mineshaft;387857]First concert in Halton, I attended—Counting Crows with Fiona Apple opening

Most memorable-- Lit with the dude getting arrested for whipping his boy out during the show.[/QUOTE]

That was my first at Halton too, Garbage and Lit. It was awesome that you saw he tried to ‘escape’ halton and got arrested down the road on hwy 49. Haha, good times.

I've seen Death Cab at LittleJohn and they were amazing. Can't wait to go to this one too.

That was on my 24th birthday in 06, one of the best shows I’ve ever been too. We were about 10 feet from the stage.

Death Cab definately isnt a band that you listen to when your lifting weights or heading into work in the AM, but next to Jimmy Eat World and the Get Up Kids(who are reuniting this year) they’re probably my favorite band

I’ve always wanted Charlotte to have one big kick ass Spring concert buy Wyclef, Muse, Garbage and Lit really aren’t the kinds of bands I would bring in…Bring in bands like the Roots, Guster, Dispatch OAR, Death Cab, Jack Johnson, The Killers, Ben Harper, Kanye, Mos Def, Talib, Common, etc…you know, hippie/frat rock…hell if they would ever bulldoze Bojangles Coliseum and Oven’s, we could probably steal some shows from them

That was on my 24th birthday in 06, one of the best shows I've ever been too. We were about 10 feet from the stage.

Death Cab definately isnt a band that you listen to when your lifting weights or heading into work in the AM, but next to Jimmy Eat World and the Get Up Kids(who are reuniting this year) they’re probably my favorite band

I’ve always wanted Charlotte to have one big kick ass Spring concert buy Wyclef, Muse, Garbage and Lit really aren’t the kinds of bands I would bring in…Bring in bands like the Roots, Guster, Dispatch OAR, Death Cab, Jack Johnson, The Killers, Ben Harper, Kanye, Mos Def, Talib, Common, etc…you know, hippie/frat rock…hell if they would ever bulldoze Bojangles Coliseum and Oven’s, we could probably steal some shows from them

QFT

I've always wanted Charlotte to have one big kick ass Spring concert buy Wyclef, Muse, Garbage and Lit really aren't the kinds of bands I would bring in...Bring in bands like the Roots, Guster, Dispatch OAR, Death Cab, Jack Johnson, The Killers, Ben Harper, Kanye, Mos Def, Talib, Common, etc...you know, hippie/frat rock...hell if they would ever bulldoze Bojangles Coliseum and Oven's, we could probably steal some shows from them

Oh my…indie alternative stereotypical college rock.

[QUOTE=arn;387866]Death Cab is definitely kind of melancholy and romantic at times but emotional doesn’t equal emo

Emo is stuff like Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, **** like that

it doesn’t really describe the music so much as the fans[/QUOTE]

That’s not emo guy.

Emo is Rites of Spring, Husker Du, Fugazi and Jawbreaker.

Oh my...indie alternative stereotypical college rock.

Basically the same types of bands at most summer music festivals.

Also, Death Cab is boring, but Sound of Settling and their cover of This Charming Man are dope songs.

Get Up Kids rule.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;387885]That’s not emo guy.

Emo is Rites of Spring, Husker Du, Fugazi and Jawbreaker.[/QUOTE]

well certainly all of those are original emo but genres can expand and change

ultimately I don’t care enough because I don’t really care for any of that music

the point stands that Death Cab is certainly not emo as emo requires some type of punk element

I worked for the university programming board in the late 90s/early 00s when a lot of these concerts we’re discussing happened. There were the same debates then as you all are having now. It’s not as simple as “we need to bring in an awesome band that everyone likes”. There’s band tour scheduling, timing, budget issues-- a lot of variables.

If you feel so strongly about the selection of bands/acts/whatever, go work for CAB or join a committee.

[QUOTE=arn;387889]well certainly all of those are original emo but genres can expand and change

ultimately I don’t care enough because I don’t really care for any of that music

the point stands that Death Cab is certainly not emo as emo requires some type of punk element[/QUOTE]

Sure, but Fallout Boy is pop punk and panic at the disco is pop rock. There is a world of difference between FOB, P!AtD and Emo bands. Even the midwestern indie rock that got labeled as emo (GUK, JEW, SDRE).

Emo is emotional hardcore. Maybe if you had thrown out Taking Back Sunday or Thursday you could have a case, but the bands you mentioned are a different genre entirely. Also, I can understand not liking Fugazi, but Husker Du and Jawbreaker are freaking awesome. I don’t know how you couldn’t like them.

They can schedule these things at Davidson because they threaten the Davidson students with losing their laundry service if they don’t attend.

Death Cab is definitely kind of melancholy and romantic at times but [B]emotional doesn't equal emo[/B]

Emo is stuff like Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, **** like that

it doesn’t really describe the music so much as the fans

still atrocious.

What do you think emo stands for … emotional. Most of it is the same boo hoo she’ll never love me, always go for the jock, who gave me a wedgie in the locker room stuff.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;387946]still atrocious.

What do you think emo stands for … emotional. Most of it is the same boo hoo she’ll never love me, always go for the jock, who gave me a wedgie in the locker room stuff.[/QUOTE]

That’s not what real emo bands are like, seriously.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart

http://www.myspace.com/ritesofspringmusic

http://www.myspace.com/leatherfaceuk

http://www.myspace.com/jawbreaker

http://www.myspace.com/mossiconofficial

www.myspace.com/indiansummersongs

Jawbreaker is a little poppier, so you may be able to get into them, maybe…

[QUOTE=punkrockcowboy;387884]Oh my…indie alternative stereotypical college rock.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Only Death Cab on that list is remotely indie.

I didn’t realize people still listened to the Roots. I wore out dat skat in 95.

I like DCFC and I’m 49 years old! :smile: Haven’t been to a concert at Belk Arena, though I have seen a number of others on the DC campus.

Anyway, as of late – courtesy of my 16 year old son – I have seen the bands Escape the Fate, Alesana, The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath, and Rev Theory, as well as locals like Scapegoat and Sugar Glyder.

Fugazi rocks.

That is all.

[QUOTE=run49er;388059]I like DCFC and I’m 49 years old! :smile: Haven’t been to a concert at Belk Arena, though I have seen a number of others at other locations on the DC campus.

Anyway, as of late – courtesy of my 16 year old son – I have seen the bands Escape the Fate, Alesana, The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath, and Rev Theory, as well as locals like Scapegoat and Sugar Glyder.[/QUOTE]

Just does nothing for me. I also hate the Postal Service. I could do with the postal service never existing. Bright eyes too. I think I’ve heard too many times what great lyricists Gibbard and Oberst are, and neither one has ever impressed me.

[QUOTE=casstommy;388060]Fugazi rocks.

That is all.[/QUOTE]

I hate Fugazi. Love Minor Threat though. That is definitely my favorite Ian MacKaye band.

That's not what real emo bands are like, seriously.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart

http://www.myspace.com/ritesofspringmusic

http://www.myspace.com/leatherfaceuk

http://www.myspace.com/jawbreaker

http://www.myspace.com/mossiconofficial

www.myspace.com/indiansummersongs

Jawbreaker is a little poppier, so you may be able to get into them, maybe…

I know it gets a little rougher, but that’s why it’s not as mainstream as some of the lighter poppy stuff. I’ll admit, sometimes there are some good lyrics, but overall the songs tend to blur together. I’ll admit I haven’t heard much of the people you listed but then again, I haven’t been that into music in a number of years.