Death Cab for Cutie coming to Davidson's Belk Arena

Okay, but FOB and P!AtD aren’t close to Emo bands. Not even in the same stratosphere. If you’re going poppier you could have said early Jimmy Eat World, Get Up Kids and Sunny Day Real Estate. Or Thursday and Taking Back Sunday.

It’s kind of like saying Anthrax and Linkin Park play the same kind of music. Or Linkin Park and Black Sabbath.

Also, none of those bands I listed, save Leatherface, were even together when we were in college.

Okay, but FOB and P!AtD aren't close to Emo bands. Not even in the same stratosphere. If you're going poppier you could have said early Jimmy Eat World, Get Up Kids and Sunny Day Real Estate. Or Thursday and Taking Back Sunday.

It’s kind of like saying Anthrax and Linkin Park play the same kind of music. Or Linkin Park and Black Sabbath.

Well, dur… The emo side or poppy stuff isn’t much me. I’ll admit Jimmy Eat World and TBS have some decent songs.

I don’t really care for Jimmy Eat World, but I did like the first TBS record. They were just a Thursday knock off though. Full Collapse is one of the most bitchin albums, even if it is a little ridiculous at times.

Jawbreaker and Leatherface though, are two of my favorite bands. Leatherface was pretty brutal live. It’s like Husker Du + Motorhead in a blender.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;388063]Just does nothing for me. I also hate the Postal Service. I could do with the postal service never existing. Bright eyes too. I think I’ve heard too many times what great lyricists Gibbard and Oberst are, and neither one has ever impressed me.

I hate Fugazi. Love Minor Threat though. That is definitely my favorite Ian MacKaye band.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you can HATE dcfc, postal service, or bright eyes. If you don’t like indie music of course you are not going to like these bands, but hate? I don’t think these bands have done anything to be worthy of hate. I you don’t like this bands stop wasting your time bashing them and go listen to something that you like.

Also, Death Cab is boring, but Sound of Settling and their cover of This Charming Man are dope songs.

Get Up Kids rule.

I like that cover, but I liked it a lot less when I heard the original and realized how much they f’ed it up.

Also, you are correct in saying that Minor Threar rules and Fugazi sucks. Glad someone else understands this.

Not sure how you can HATE dcfc, postal service, or bright eyes. If you don't like indie music of course you are not going to like these bands, but hate? I don't think these bands have done anything to be worthy of hate. I you don't like this bands stop wasting your time bashing them and go listen to something that you like.

What exactly does a band have to do to be worthy of hate then? I don’t hate any of those bands, but your “don’t like, don’t listen” argument applies to any band. In the age of the iPod, I don’t see anyone being forced to listen to even the most overplayed bands.

Muse played in Halton once. I remember going.

[QUOTE=wayton5646;388113]Not sure how you can HATE dcfc, postal service, or bright eyes. If you don’t like indie music of course you are not going to like these bands, but hate? I don’t think these bands have done anything to be worthy of hate. I you don’t like this bands stop wasting your time bashing them and go listen to something that you like.[/QUOTE]

It’s a figure of speech. Geeeeze. And I do hate hearing about them. And I do like indie rock. I love indie rock. I don’t begrudge anyone who likes any band. Trust me, I have a fair number of bands that I love that people hate with a passion. I am excited that Blink-182 is going to get back together, even if they are horrible live and I did not like their last album. But those are jockeyed bands that just aren’t very good. DCFC is better than the other two, but only marginally.

Therefore, do I actively hate those bands and wish harm on them? No. I am not a fan. I also hate Dave Matthews Band. But I do think I actually hate dave matthews band. I would rather listen to Puddle of Mudd.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;388120]What exactly does a band have to do to be worthy of hate then? I don’t hate any of those bands, but your “don’t like, don’t listen” argument applies to any band. In the age of the iPod, I don’t see anyone being forced to listen to even the most overplayed bands.[/QUOTE]

I work at a mall.

Also, Smiths are way better than DCFC. Original version is amazing, even if the content isn’t something I find readily relatable.

I’m Wide Awake Its Morning is probably one of my top 15 or 20 favorite albums of all time.

That said, I could totally understand how someone could hate Bright Eyes. That guy is a pretty big douche.

[QUOTE=casstommy;388140]I’m Wide Awake Its Morning is probably one of the top 15 or 20 favorite albums of all time.

That said, I could totally understand how someone could hate Bright Eyes. That guy is a pretty big douche.[/QUOTE]

Really?

I’m trying to think of the last really great timeless album I’ve heard.

Personally, it would probably be Short Hand Operation. But impartially, it is probably Dear You (otherwise known as the album that every rock band has molded themselves off of since)

Really?

I’m trying to think of the last really great timeless album I’ve heard.

Personally, it would probably be Short Hand Operation. But impartially, it is probably Dear You (otherwise known as the album that every rock band has molded themselves off of since)

I should have said that it was one of MY top 15 or 20 favorite albums of all time.

It certainly isnt anywhere near the best in general terms…just for me personally. Just a record that really kinda just seems like a sound track for a lot of memories I had around the time it was released i guess.

[QUOTE=casstommy;388146]I should have said that it was one of MY top 15 or 20 greatest albums of all time.

It certainly isnt anywhere near the best in general terms, just for me. Just a record that really kinda just seems like a sound track for a lot of memories I had around the time it was released i guess.[/QUOTE]

I feel you on that man. I figured that’s what you meant, but I wasn’t sure. I think it is kind of sad that you can take pinkerton and Dear You, throw it in a blender and get 33% of what is on the radio for rock now. The other 66% is a mish mash of deftones rip offs and grunge rehash. I guess there is a little bit of garage rock in there too, but it seems a lot of those bands have sort of fallen off.

Nineradvocate is so indie he listens to bands that don’t even exist yet

[QUOTE=Sideshow;388212]Nineradvocate is so indie he listens to bands that don’t even exist yet[/QUOTE]

TRUE.

BTW, this is the look for next year. So says I.

We had Muse here in 04-05. We could get big names here if we got CAB to stop wasting money on air brush t-shirts. I contacted a few big names (Cake and Fishbone [big to me anyways]) a few years ago and the price was not out of our reach. We just plain don’t do it because we’d rather spend the money on smaller dinky events that people don’t really care about (like air brush t shirts).

I’d rather have one big event that the entire school knows about and would go to so that it brings us together instead of several smaller events that few people care about (…like air brush t shirts).

[QUOTE=49or bust;388217]We had Muse here in 04-05. We could get big names here if we got CAB to stop wasting money on air brush t-shirts. I contacted a few big names (Cake and Fishbone [big to me anyways]) a few years ago and the price was not out of our reach. We just plain don’t do it because we’d rather spend the money on smaller dinky events that people don’t really care about (like air brush t shirts).

I’d rather have one big event that the entire school knows about and would go to so that it brings us together instead of several smaller events that few people care about (…like air brush t shirts).[/QUOTE]

Bust, join CAB. it’s not as simple as you make it sound.

Bust, join CAB. it's not as simple as you make it sound.
I wasn't saying it was easy. Just that we could probably afford to have bands here.
Sure, but Fallout Boy is pop punk and panic at the disco is pop rock. There is a world of difference between FOB, P!AtD and Emo bands. Even the midwestern indie rock that got labeled as emo (GUK, JEW, SDRE).

Emo is emotional hardcore. Maybe if you had thrown out Taking Back Sunday or Thursday you could have a case, but the bands you mentioned are a different genre entirely. Also, I can understand not liking Fugazi, but Husker Du and Jawbreaker are freaking awesome. I don’t know how you couldn’t like them.

Taking Back Sunday is horrible. I never want to hear that band again.

[QUOTE=49or bust;388243]I wasn’t saying it was easy. Just that we could probably afford to have bands here.[/QUOTE]

except, the last time we did, we lost boatloads of cash because not enough people came, and it costs a lot of money to produce a show at Halton.

It’s not as simple as you make it sound.