Defensive coordinator & other staff changes

I think the co thing is in name only. I like the experience, exactly what Will needs.

3 Likes

Both of these hires bring a lot of experience. IMO sounds like two very nice hires.

4 Likes

thatā€™s a ton of valuable experience for not just healy, but for our secondary as well. aside from the d-line, our secondary needed a TON of improvement so this is a very good hire.

1 Like

Happy Keeping Up With The Kardashians GIF by E!

3 Likes

Thank you, we desperately needed a change! Happy to see coaches with years of experience at different places coming onboard.

2 Likes

I dont understand the title was supposed to eliminate "co defensive coordinator " but the search took too long so they left that title part. If its true this is our new d coordinator then i am excitedā€¦but if its truly 2 D coordinators, what a disaster. Im usually glass half full but this one is tough. Lets hope it works out because this offense we are returning should win us a lot of games on their own.

I read that as we wanted a DC but couldnā€™t get one to actually come here (againā€¦heard up to 5 candidates turned us down)ā€¦so we had to hire someone we didnā€™t really want or trust so weā€™re gonna keep the co-DC thing going on here. Which absolutely sucks.

It says to me that no one wanted to come here because the former DC that led us to the 10th worst defense ranking in all of D1 football was allowed to still be on the staffā€¦with an Asst Head Coach Title and making more money than the guy they were hiring to replace him. So the new DC or co-DC is working for/under (in Title and in $$) the old DC/co-DC that was demoted and terrible!!!

Seriously!?!?!

What a clusterf@#$ this isā€¦and Healy is an absolute clown!!

2 Likes

So Greg Brown was primarily a DB position coach for the majority of his career, and we struggled in the secondary this year, but I personally thought that the defensive line struggled worse than the secondary, especially at the defensive tackle position, our defense gives up too many big plays in the running game, and in a 4-2-5 bend but dont break scheme, this is a critical position, if West stays on to coach the defensive line and possibly the entire front seven ( or 6 in our scheme ), are we really going to improve enough defensively to win at the level that we want to

I fixed the thread title to not mislead anyone here.

2 Likes

Warranted.

FWIW, I am more critical of our situation / handling of this than I am the hire. Brown seems to be a journeyman / mercenary. As someone said, he wonā€™t be here long, either way. Not even worth worrying about.

Why do you think itā€™s in name only? If itā€™s in name only then why not demote West?

The best thing you can say about Brown is that he has coached a lot. Nothing distinguishing about this hire.

The process was a train wreck and the outcome is the same. We hired a co-DC who had to volunteer last year to get a job.

Ive tried staying as optimistic as I could through this situation and happy to have Healy as our coach, but this is bad. If we dont win 9 games next year with this offense, we are throwing away one of the best seasons we could have had for a while before jumping to the AAC. We dont need to be just barely bowling with this roster and upcoming schedule, we need to be making a statement for ourselves as a program. I hope Iā€™m wrong and this new co-defensive coordinator fixes what was absolutely broken last year.

2 Likes

Not a chance

I like the experience but am concerned about co-coordinator if itā€™s not in name only. Canā€™t wait to hear the responsibilities of each and the scheme.

All I know is Iā€™ve been told West wont be calling the D. Maybe he will still be on the staff maybe he wont. I have no idea. Maybe this guy will be great maybe he wonā€™t. I have no idea. What I do know is Will hired someone who isnā€™t his friend and who brings a ton of experience and knowledge to the staff. I like that.

I think one we are we arenā€™t paying enough and two I wanna hear the type of D scheme we run. Will is gonna sink or swim with this. The position coach is interesting. I donā€™t think our DL was as bad as it appeared last year plus our scheme was awful. We had watts, our best pass rusher, in coverage for like 40% of the snaps.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been told he is going to fire West. Heā€™s not firing West? Well, Iā€™ve been told he is going to demote West. Heā€™s not demoting West? Well, Iā€™ve been told he wonā€™t be calling plays next year. :rofl::rofl:

We donā€™t need experience. We donā€™t need a buddy. We donā€™t need culture. We donā€™t need a 40 year position coach who was DC 2 of those years with poor results who had to work for free last year.

We need a single, competent DC who has had success at some level over some period of time. Thatā€™s it. You go with that and see if it works. Itā€™s at least a different direction.

He couldnā€™t do that. He canā€™t make the hard calls needed to facilitate change. Heā€™s lost. He doesnā€™t seem to know how to run a program and he is grasping for straws.

Healy going to Healy.

Not sure how you prove your value when changing jobs/teams every year. Perhaps itā€™s just me but it takes time to settle in to a new environment, and it is a distraction to your current job to pursue other jobs.

I guess we just need to trust our leaders.