Defensive coordinator & other staff changes

I sometimes wonder why some of you even follow Charlotte sports. You seem miserable. The negative opinions about nearly everything and an unwillingness to see anything positive in anything. What’s the point? You are insufferable. If I ever hit yalls level of negativity I’m walking away.

We could hire wooden, he’s too old.
We could hire bear Bryant, but what’s he done lately.
We could raise 100 mil, but why not 200?

All while some of us are doing all we can to generate excitement and donors and grow this thing. I’m not happy about everything and when I see something that needs to get better I say it but damn y’all suck.
Y’all want the world but the consistent negative from our own fans push away those we need to grow this. I have no idea if Brown is going to work. I’m here to see how it plays out though. And I’ll take a positive approach.

25 Likes

AMEN!!!

Go Niners.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Let’s let the guy show up in Charlotte before we bury him. Our staff is mostly void of age and experience. He brings that. There are a lot of journeyman coaches. Most assistants are working off one year contracts. I have no clue whether he was a volunteer coach last year because he had to be or he chose to be. Maybe he or a person close to him had health issues and he could not commit to a full-time position? It happens. Brown has coached in the NFL and with mostly successful programs. Doesn’t seem like a guy that would struggle to land a job if he wanted it.

I don’t know if he will improve the defense or not. It would be hard to not to improve it to be honest… I didn’t miss a game last year and yeah, it was painful on defense. I am hoping for the best. Healy is staking a very promising career on this hire in a lot of ways. I am pulling for Healy and the Niners to succeed. Let’s wait and see how the season plays out from our seats in the Rich.

4 Likes

Did our defense suck last year? Like really suck? Did fans want a change at the top? Meaning DC in general not just a leg of DC? Does this appear to live up to the Healy is family first and won’t make the hard decisions to fire friends? Sure there could be more to it than fans know but isn’t that the perception?

Is a co-defensive hire around February 10th-ish typical? Spring practice schedule was impacted right? Has the delay caused recruiting to be impacted?

Rumor is a couple candidates turned down the job. Is that rumor true?

The rumor is some better candidates could have turned down the job due to money. Is that true? When will his pay be public so we can compare to cusa peers? If that is true, is that due to the “Co-“ tag? If that’s true, doesn’t that suck for fans (maybe, we’ll see how this season ends up)?

So, hiring a journeyman following all those comments said previously… it’s hard for me to see the glass half full. We all knew after the announcement of a new DC that we would hire a new DC. But that doesn’t mean it was a good hire. Could be. We’ll see. Healy did say he wanted a guy with good recruiting connections right? It’ll be interesting to see what those are.

Healy is guiding his career here. He was on that upward trajectory (at least in the media) but another bowl miss and he may just be a flash in the pan.

Fire a DC and hire a DC. That’s all that needed to be done. Brown as DC is fine. Brown as co-DC is not change. Just needed a change.

You have said on here before that if there wasn’t change you’d be disappointed. Well, West is still co-DC. Healy has had plenty of time to make that change. Now you’re not disappointed. I am disappointed and now I suck. I like the way you operate.

Ideally yes fire DC hire DC. I would have preferred that as well. Ideally right after the season. I am disappointed it didn’t go down like that. I also have no idea if West will indeed still be on the staff or not. I was told early in the offseason he would not be calling the D next year regardless.

You don’t suck because you are disappointed, its because no matter what happens you ALWAYS take the most negative approach possible. I am disappointed in how its shaken out, but I am going to be positive about the change. We got a guy who doesn’t fit Will’s coaches profile of being friends and brings a ton of experience and we still don’t know what West role will be in or if he will even have a role. Didn’t happen how I would have preferred it happen but oh well. Now I sit back and see how it works out. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn’t.

I hated Judy, absolutely hated her and I was never as negative about all things as some of you all are now. I can understand wanting better but there is just no balance with many of you. All it is is a constant stream of negativetivity. I just cant comprehend continuing to follow or support a program that some of you appear to find zero joy in. What is more is if some of our fans hate our own program this much how in the world can you be ambassadors in growing Niner Nation. I choose to see things as positive as possible because I am out in the community trying to sell tickets and donors and get people on board and I absolutely wouldn’t be able to do that with the attitude some of you have.

1 Like

I appreciate all you do.

For the record, I was very bullish on Sanchez early. Still have some hope. Don’t like the extensions. Very bullish on the non revenue sports. I know a recent SB recruit personally and I have been extremely supportive of her choice and trying to get her to bring others.

I’ve never liked the Healy hire. I’ve been negative about him from the beginning and he has backed me up 100% unfortunately.

Winning will build Niner Nation faster than you or I ever can. Reasonably priced FSLs and season tickets will go a long way as well. Competent and accountable coaching too. An understandably negative fan base will have a nominal affect.

I understand you’ve put a lot of faith in Healy and he hasn’t come through much. It makes me frustrated too. But my frustration is directed at him and not other people on this board.

Is it really negative to be critical of our athletic program, what makes one program different from the other, VISION and STANDARDS, an athletic program has to set a vision for what they want to be and then set the standards to achieve their goal, a fan base that is critical of subpar and mediocre results is not necessarily a negative, it shows me that the fan base has a vision of where they want to see this program, and that they expect higher standards than what we are producing, is it premature to criticize the hiring of Brown, of course, but I dont think anyone is criticizing him as a DC, they are criticizing how he fits into a system based upon multiple Co-defensive coordinators, and the possible retainment of a Co-DC that struggled to the degree that West has, I dont see a fan base that is miserable and negative, I see a fan base that is passionate and wants to see the program achieve at a higher degree than what we have to this point, and in doing so, we have to be critical of subpar and mediocre production at all levels

Good Lord. If you still have hope for Sanchez, I hope mean I hope he is not here next year.

Well said.

I agree about the Brown hire…he may be good. Certainly no way he’s worse than West. But what bothers me is that he was literally candidate #4-#6 that we had to absolutely settle for in the 9th hour because of Healy’s insistence on keeping West around. Big time programs don’t operate like that. That’s what is embarrassing and inexcusable.

And that’s not negative…that’s literally what happened and what it is and where we are.

1 Like

I just hope however this hire has been handled (between the delay, going with a 4th/5th option, hiring a coach without ties to the area and not in one place for very long), it doesn’t effect recruiting in a negative way…at least any worse than may have already been effected by the delay in the hire.

I’ve said this over the last few years…as long as Healy’s PR team continues to publically mention his name and his interest for nearly every P5 job every offseason, our recruiting has been hamstrung. Since his 1st year here…no one thinks he’s gonna be here very long because it has looked like he’s flirting with every P5 opening and is ready to leave first chance he gets. It’s common knowledge that other schools have used that when recruiting against us.

This year…it’s more about he may not be here long because of how he’s handling staff changes and how it’s affecting putting a winning product on the field. But whether he turns it around this year (he’ll look to a P5 opening again) or if he continues to fall (he may get let go)…I doubt we ever see Healy recruit any better here than he has been (which has been decent but far from great).

It will take a new regime for that.

2 Likes

emb, agree with what you are saying, Only comment, that is the longest sentence I have ever read! :rofl:

2 Likes

You are talking to the wrong person about being critical of the AD. Hell my name was one of the most hated names in the AD for years. I was one of the very small band that started football against their wishes and showed up at their “private” football meetings. The difference is no matter where things were I was always positive about our future and I always donated, bought tickets and went to games. I told them that I would be positive when they did good and call them out on things they do poorly. Judy’s AD did almost everything poorly. It is a fine line to walk yes. I have found this AD to be much more receptive to sitting down and talking and trying to get better. When I have had a concern, public or privately they have addressed it and I am not some big donor. I also have been more gracious in excusing some of the challenges they have had with the pandemic, guess I am just a softie in that way. I have a list of things I have been unhappy with. I have been public with them, but not overly negative and when basketball is over I will probably reach out to the AD and discuss many of them.

As far as West and Brown go - you are right people are mostly criticizing a system based on co-coordinators and west being retained. All though plenty seemed to take shots at Brown’s resume. My thing is we dont know what the staff structure is and who will be calling the D. We don’t know if West will even be on the staff. So we have people complaining about something that might not even be happening. What’s the point of that? I wasn’t happy with how the process played out, but I am still convinced the biggest challenge we have is money and not paying our staff the money we need to. That is a far bigger concern to me than if West stays on the staff or not and that is something that requires more donors to fix and I don’t attract donors by broadcasting my dislike for current situation.

7 Likes

Didn’t Cooper have a longer relationship with Healy than West?

I’m a broken record for myself here, as much as I want to be optimistic here, isnt it a pretty safe assumption at this point West is being retained? I dont get the arguement we shouldnt be upset of something we dont know is happening when he is still here as spring practice is starting. Most coaches have made moves at this point in the calendar year right? Unless you know something we dont, it should be a pretty safe assumption to make he was retained for this season.

If west is truly being retained as a position coach and our new coordinator will be the full d coordinator with play calling, schemes, etc…the most optimistic I can be is west was in over his head in the previous role but a solid position coach. Maybe he helps with future recruiting and retaining current talent. And the new coach can have full autonomy to right the ship.

If Brown is going to be the “full DC”, then im not sure why the article called him “co-DC”. Honestly, im not sure why anyone would think West isnt still a “co-DC” as well. I hope im wrong though and even if West still has that title, as long as he isnt making too many decisions it would have to be an improvement.

Just looks really bad when the D-line coach is paid more than the OC or DC so probably had to let him keep the title for that reason alone. I don’t know maybe they will pay the new guy more than West. If they do Carney should be pissed.

I am not really sure where it will all land. I am pretty confident that West isn’t calling the plays based on what I have heard. Maybe he stays on staff (not my preferred choice) or maybe he could still be let go. Trust me I wish Will had been more cutthroat, but maybe he really is a good position coach that like you say he was just in over head. I just try to assume the people in those positions know better than we do. He could be keeping the DC title for money or just not to humiliate him or maybe to help him get another job. Or maybe because up until now and thru the spring he was still doing DC duties while getting the new guy on board.