DeMario Mayfield 6-4 SG UGA transfer

To keep it separate from the other thread.

Rival- 3 Star http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-DeMario-Mayfield-72671

if it is in fact true that he looked suspect at the pickup game then i hope the coaches saw this and dont offer him. i mean, we are going against schools like tenn. tech and charleston southern for his services. he will be a good fit for those schools but not us.

I wonder if our entire board will be depressed if we don’t go after kids we have no shot at anymore.

we didnt have a shot with our old staff. maybe they just didnt recruit hard enough. is it better that we go after kids that we know cant play because we dont believe we can land the kids we really want?

Coaches cant officially watch recruits play pickup during visits. They can however get reports from managers. Mayfield is definitely not an impact A10 player.

we didnt have a shot with our old staff. maybe they just didnt recruit hard enough. is it better that we go after kids that we know cant play because we dont believe we can land the kids we really want?[/quote]We didn’t miss out on kids because we didn’t recruit hard enough. If anything, we wasted too much effort on kids that we had a 1% or less chance of getting, instead of getting solid guys that could be coached into very good players.

This guy looks like he has potential, and with some coaching could be very good.

I know expecting players to get better with coaching is a bit of a shock after our last coach, though.

we didnt have a shot with our old staff. maybe they just didnt recruit hard enough. is it better that we go after kids that we know cant play because we dont believe we can land the kids we really want?[/quote]We didn’t miss out on kids because we didn’t recruit hard enough. If anything, we wasted too much effort on kids that we had a 1% or less chance of getting, instead of getting solid guys that could be coached into very good players.

This guy looks like he has potential, and with some coaching could be very good.

I know expecting players to get better with coaching is a bit of a shock after our last coach, though.[/quote]
we would be taking the risk that a kid who didnt have an impact on a mediocre team would get better and help us get better. there are enough good 2011 players that if we dont land our top choice then our second and third choices would be better than mayfield.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:2, topic:23189”]if it is in fact true that he looked suspect at the pickup game then i hope the coaches saw this and dont offer him. i mean, we are going against schools like tenn. tech and charleston southern for his services. he will be a good fit for those schools but not us.[/quote] Pick-up games are about as informative as juco stats. I would think there is game tape available of him playing at Georgia that might actually mean something.

if this guy was a lower rated guard that was a hs player or a juco player, i wouldnt mind it as much seeing as how it is late in the recruiting season and we need depth in the backcourt but this kid is for next season so lack of time to recruit isnt an excuse. there are too many good 2011 kids to use a scholarship on this kid.

117 minutes in 18 games.

Once conf. play started, he only played 12 mins…

Where did you read this?

Sirin played 131 minutes this year. I guess he’s worthless, too. Or is that 14 extra minutes of game time the difference?

nice post Eason. Most freshman play sparingly. Especially if a coach didn’t recruit the player. From what I’ve seen online, Mayfield looks to have talent.

Where did you read this?[/quote]
from sokool.

If he does come here remember that the staff will have a year to work with him before he ever sees the floor before you consider him worthless.

Oliver should know the abilities of Mayfield better than most, as he recruited him to UGA. People need to trust the staff to go after quality players.

Here are his profiles when he was coming out of HS.

Rivals - 3 star with one video available

Scout -

ESPN - 89 rating

One positive aspect, with this kid’s length he could help our guards not get passed over the top of and getting posted up so much

Ninerreport is first on the scene with the big scoop, as always.