DeMario Mayfield 6-4 SG UGA transfer

has three years left, right?

Yep, three years. I hope he takes advantage of the year he has to sit out and really develops his game. He has the physical tools to be a serious contributor. Not too many 6’3 pg’s in the A10, he could do some damage.

Btw, not sure if it’s been posted, but ESPN had him ranked as the #20 point guard in the nation when he was a senior.

Welcome to The Niner Nation DeMario. You are the first addition to a new regime. Live it, love it, and kick some ass. GO NINERS!!!

Welcome! Work hard, and enjoy your stay.

Glad to have DeMario on board. I think this is probably our sign that we will not have Bowden. Yes, I know we will not have him this year, but if Salter signs with us too, no way Bowden’s back in Niner green.

I am excited about Mayfield. I think he will be a good player.

Good pickup

Over three years, Dalonte Hill picked up one player - a 6’4" guard (named Ian Andersen).
Assistant Desmond Oliver matched that contribution in just a couple of days on the job.

Late in the game, it’s good to get an SEC transfer with a relationship with someone on the new staff. I wish DeMario the best!

(ps - remember that Charlotte team scouting report early in the year that was written by the UNCA fan? It included the gem, “Players on Charlotte like to capitalize the third letter in their first names.” I’m glad Coach Major respects team tradition.)

Am I missing a thread or something else? Has this guy signed or is he just visiting this weekend?

He committed yesterday morning.

You’re all going to lose your ninerreport subscription for paraphrasing this information.

Welcome to Charlotte, DeMario!

Welcome Mayfield and the first recruit for the new staff.

Mayfield has the size we need at guard and a year to get even better. He scored a ton in high school and AAU. Just to put things in perspective. We were bad the last 10 games and Sirin didn’t play, we all have high hopes for him.

i think i would be more excited about this signing if he could help us this season then at least we would have some depth but the argument that sirin didnt play many more minutes this season doesnt make me feel any better, not to mention the schools we were going up against. anyways, i will welcome him to ninernation. welcome demario.

[/quote]
sorry, i want to be a positive pete but its tough here. i would be much more positive if we get a committment from the other guy(whose name escapes me right now). i just dont like the idea of using a scholarship for the 2011 class on a guy who barely played at georgia.

6’3 point guard who tore it up in highschool and has 3 years left +1 to train with the team? Yes! Welcome to Niner Nation DeMario. I am excited about your speed and defensive talent and I’m sure Coach Major is too. Major is good at improving players, and I’m sure that DeMario will be a good contributor next year. Now let’s get someone for this year!

[/quote]
sorry, i want to be a positive pete but its tough here. i would be much more positive if we get a committment from the other guy(whose name escapes me right now). i just dont like the idea of using a scholarship for the 2011 class on a guy who barely played at georgia.[/quote]

How many freshman played substantial minutes at a program at a big 6 conference and made a huge impact? Minus Kentucky. The %'s will never be good in this argument. He produced at a high level in HS/AAU and had decent programs look at and offer him. If he doesn’t ride pine at Georgia for a year and comes to Charlotte with the same HS/AAU accomplishments you’re probably wet with excitement. Remember, he played his first year for a staff that didn’t recruit him. Just saying.

he’s going to need a new number.

Not to mention that if he did get significant minutes and made a huge impact, he probably wouldn’t be transferring.