Denzel Ingram - 2012 PG - Signed LOI

5’11 PG from Chapel Hill HS, played AAU with Garner Road. HS team is currently 19-0, he’s scoring about 24ppg

Rivals - no stars

Scout - no profile

ESPN - 1 star, 75 rating

Visiting this weekend for the Xavier game. We have not offered at this point.

Hmmm… ok. I know whoever it is would be backing up Henry but I thought we would strive for a Madison Jones or something…

If we sign him though we can’t call Major the SIZE KING anymore though… :frowning:

I know we are desperate but we should not waste a schollie on a one star. I would rather have a JUCO and only tie up that schollie for two years instead of four.

Stars don’t mean anything once a player gets on campus. Sounds like Ingram is a scoring PG, which is what we could use.

Well we each know that we disagree with each other on this. I like my recruits to have at least 3 stars. But we are desperate so I would take a 2 star over a JUCO. Also this kid seems a bit short for PG duty. I like the guards to be around 6’2 or taller. Better court vision that way.

I’d love for all the kids we sign to have 3 or more, but it isn’t the ultimate barometer for what a kid can do.

Youre right 2K. I am sure Kentucky and Kansas are full of over achieving one stars… ::slight_smile:

Hard to miss on most 5 stars, I think most of us will agree on that. I’d love to sign all 3 & 4 stars, it just isn’t going to happen right now. Who’s to say that when Rivals, etc update their rankings that this kid isn’t bumped up?

Also, we haven’t offered him a scholarship and we do not know what other PG’s we may be recruiting. This is just ONE name.

Denzel Ingram highlights: Denzel Ingram Class of 2012

We are basically in free fall again for the 2nd year in a row at a program / system that now requires guards to defend first and you are expecting 6’2" 3* PG’s this late in the game for 2012.

How many stars do you think the guard at Kennesaw State who lit us up (and had already lit Missouri up for 27) have coming out of High School?

A lot of the rankings are slated to fitting a prototype body style. For example if you are an athletic 6’4" 210 2G who can play a lick you will have 3* right out of the box. After the first 50 kids on the Top 100 lists it is a crap shoot.

He hits his layups!

I assume this is to fill Voncina’s spot, as the team needs a backup pg next year (if Ingram gets an offer). Wonder if it’d be better to hold the scholarship, but a late bloomer could be just as well, and its clear the team needs another pg.

Too my knowledge, we haven’t offered the last scholarship to anyone. We could always hold on til after the coaching changes happen and try to snag one late.

Our Coaching change or other teams 8) …I kid…I kid…

Major is watching Ingram play tonight, per therecruitscoop on the twitters.

Interesting. He’s a bit small, but can score and is a winner.

If he’s actually 5’11, he isn’t too undersized. Will be curious to follow to see if we offer him soon.

Dropped 30pts in front of Alan Major tonight.

RT @1360WCHL: Chapel Hill Tigers 68, Southern Vance 47. 30 pts for Denzel Ingram on Senior Night.

I really hope we offer him soon, I like his game, and we can always use guys who can score. #SIZEKING :wink:

He wont be able to guard, He wont be able to feed the post, He will struggle with big athletic guards, He does not fit Major’s vision or style. Major Size King likes big guards. Small guards are only good for filling bench needs. He is not an A-10 starter. Better think twice before we sign this kid :))