Dewhurst to forego Senior year of basketball eligibility

Dew will be missed. He brings quite a few things to the table that weā€™ll need to account for next year.

http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1056918

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=204896297

Wow. How often do you see this with college athletes? Best of luck to Charles.

I hope that we have some plans on new recruits. It started out with just 2 spots open, not we have 4 spots to fill. I think we have to get at least 2 more recruits with one being a SF and the other being a SG. I still think we need a freshman for inside help after Jones and Spears leave. We have seen with KJ that most guys take a year to develop.

I wish the best for Dew. I did not see this coming as I thought he would finish all four years, but I understand that he needs to start grad school.

Iā€™m more so bothered that our Master in Sports Management Program has been killed. What are our football players supposed to get Masterā€™s in now if they graduate early and still have eligibilty?

I will miss his free throw shooting and key rebounding. He is a great team mate and has fought back from two major set backs. With that said it isnā€™t like we are losing a key scorer, rebounder, lock down defender, ball handler or passer. We will his leadership more than anything else - his departure opens more time for Sirin at the SF spot and I think we can easily cover the physical skills he brought to the team.

Didnt see that one coming. Iā€™ll miss watching him on the court, but he has to do what is right for him.

Hopefully weā€™re in tight with some jucos. Heck, we might even just hold a scholarship and wait and see if there are any D1 transfers late in the year.

One thing I was curious about though, is can Dew play for another team? I know they passed a rule not too long ago where if you graduated you could transfer to another team and play your last year of eligibility. UABā€™s team has 2 or 3 of these kind of ā€˜seniorā€™ transfers. Dont know if his redshirt year hinders him or if he even wants to though.

Dew comes from good stock. My Dad is friends with his uncle and they are ā€œgood people.ā€ They get the big picture. I wish he was a little more cocky on the floor. Maybe he can let it all hang out now if there is no pressure.

Another schollyā€¦Dew, Coleman, Harris, Ian, Bowden gone

Briscoe, Davis get 2.

3 open now.

[quote=ā€œIron9er, post:6, topic:22563ā€]Didnt see that one coming. Iā€™ll miss watching him on the court, but he has to do what is right for him.

Hopefully weā€™re in tight with some jucos. Heck, we might even just hold a scholarship and wait and see if there are any D1 transfers late in the year.

One thing I was curious about though, is can Dew play for another team? I know they passed a rule not too long ago where if you graduated you could transfer to another team and play your last year of eligibility. UABā€™s team has 2 or 3 of these kind of ā€˜seniorā€™ transfers. Dont know if his redshirt year hinders him or if he even wants to though.[/quote]

no he cannot play, you get 5 years to play 4 seasons. As a transfer heā€™d have to sit a yr and heā€™s already done that. He could be a SR on a D2 or NAIA team though.

I wish we had vid of that sick dunk Dew had prior to his injury. I think it was 2 years ago he had one of the nastiest dunks Iā€™ve seen at Halton ever.

I wish him the best. His game against Clemphsun is a never-to-be-forgotten.

Good luck to Dew. Glad heā€™s got a good plan for his future. I wish he would stay and play out his senior season, but he needs to Dew whatā€™s best for him.

[quote=ā€œmetro, post:8, topic:22563ā€][quote=ā€œIron9er, post:6, topic:22563ā€]Didnt see that one coming. Iā€™ll miss watching him on the court, but he has to do what is right for him.

One thing I was curious about though, is can Dew play for another team? I know they passed a rule not too long ago where if you graduated you could transfer to another team and play your last year of eligibility. UABā€™s team has 2 or 3 of these kind of ā€˜seniorā€™ transfers. Dont know if his redshirt year hinders him or if he even wants to though.[/quote]

no he cannot play, you get 5 years to play 4 seasons. As a transfer heā€™d have to sit a yr and heā€™s already done that. He could be a SR on a D2 or NAIA team though.[/quote]

I thought if you graduated on time and went to another school for graduate program reasons the NCAA waived the transfer year. Best of luck Dew hopefully he is able to find a place to play but if not I canā€™t knock the kid for trying to get to move forward with a career.

Iā€™m pretty sure that there is a rule that allows a student-athlete to waive the sit-out year if he is graduating and going to a graduate program not offered by his undergrad school.

hopefully this helps us land Bowen, lot of PT available to him now at the 3

I really like Dew as well, but I canā€™t understand how it would ā€œhurtā€ him so much to postpone transferring (and his grad school plans) by 1 year and its not like heā€™d be wasting his own money as heā€™s on scholarship.

What Commie Fascist cancelled the Masters in Sports Mgmt.? Someone should be fired over this. This is BS. It was big enough BS that they only let in 25 a year into the Sports MBA so why even bother applying as it is, now they shut it down, when it should be expanded? Damn bunch of c***-suckers!

I think Dew could play D1. If not, if I were him Iā€™d play D2 or NAIA at a school that has what he needs. Or go play pro in Israel. And he made the announcement in time to be recgonized for Sr. Day!

I really like Dew as well, but I canā€™t understand how it would ā€œhurtā€ him so much to postpone transferring (and his grad school plans) by 1 year and its not like heā€™d be wasting his own money as heā€™s on scholarship.[/quote]

Maybe because he is more than a basketball player and doesnā€™t want to sit around taking classes that do him no good for a year? I know thats simplistic, but just my hunch.

[quote=ā€œstonecoldken, post:16, topic:22563ā€]What Commie Fascistā€¦[/quote]Now thereā€™s a contradiction if I ever saw one! Of course, never thought I live to see a Communist monarchy, which is basically whatā€™s going on in North Korea.

Anyway, sorry to hear this will be Dewā€™s final season. Always been a favorite of mine ever since his playing days at Charlotte Latin. Too bad the injuries took away so much PT (something Xā€™s Coach Mack can relate to as well).

Wish you all the best!

I really like Dew as well, but I canā€™t understand how it would ā€œhurtā€ him so much to postpone transferring (and his grad school plans) by 1 year and its not like heā€™d be wasting his own money as heā€™s on scholarship.[/quote]

Maybe because he is more than a basketball player and doesnā€™t want to sit around taking classes that do him no good for a year? I know thats simplistic, but just my hunch.[/quote]

Best of luck to Dewhurst