Did anyone catch the Billy Packer quote...

hidden away in today’s Observer?

[QUOTE][B]“Charlotte (49ers) is in an unenviable position. They have no football. They’re in the heartland of ACC country. And Charlotte’s a pro sports town with football, basketball and NASCAR. The coach has done a terrific job getting recruits. He developed some good rivalries (in Conference USA) with Louisville, Memphis, DePaul and Marquette. Where will that synergy be in the A-10?”[/B] – CBS college basketball analyst Billy Packer on the 49ers move to the 14-team Atlantic 10[/QUOTE]
There’s synergy alright… down the toilet.

Billy Packer is an a$$! And that goes double for his son! Cincy was the only true rivalry we had in C-USA – a conference that Daddy Packer dissed! Geez… :rolleyes:

Billy Packer needs to go back to Mr. Cash commercials instead of continually offering distorted college basketball analysis.

Packer’s a Day Late and a Dollar Short with his comments. Yawnnn! Next.

BOOOOO!!! HISSSSSSSS!!!

BOOOOO Packer BOOOOO!!!

I think Fudge Sr. makes some valid points…IMHO!

Sometimes it’s hilarious how little knowledge some analysts actually have…

uh, I hate the idiot, BUT, what was he wrong about?

[QUOTE=hootie;139944]uh, I hate the idiot, BUT, what was he wrong about?[/QUOTE]

Just because someone is an annoying idiot doesn’t mean they are always wrong.

I think Billy’s is a factual statement even if it is unoriginal.

1. He said this a year after everyone else.
  2. He never said we had any kind of rivalry with anyone in CUSA until they’re gone.
  3. The dynamic in every conference except the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 (The Big 12 with the Baylor traxedyl)has lost its “synergy”. Do you think the addition of BC, VT and MIA enables the ACC to keep Synergy? The ACC tourney sucked this year. Too many people wanting to go, to many teams out by Friday at 4:00.
  4. We’re still getting revruits.
  5. We can get it going with SJU, X, GW, Temple or Dayton, because the respect and fear us. Cincy and Loserville tried to treat us as an annoying sibling instead of looking at us eye to eye as equals.

Billy Packer is a has been hack, who still can’t get me a loan.

Tintin

For what it’s worth, many of the Wake fans despise Packer more than we do. They feel he turned his back on them. Go figure.

[QUOTE=Tintin;139954]
5) We can get it going with SJU, X, GW, Temple or Dayton, because the respect and fear us.

Tintin[/QUOTE]

Please Tintin. Yeah, I can really see the sorority girls showing up in big numbers for St. Joes instead of UC. Or the wild pre-game festivities for that showdown with the Dayton Flyers.

We could barely get our casual fans and community to warm up to major cusa programs. The A10 will be a flop with everyone but the hardcore fans…but we knew that coming in.

I stand by my previous post: Billy’s statement is unoriginal but factual.

If we are going to develop real fans, they won’t care who we are playing. Just the fact that we are playing should be enough to get students out to games. We will be a real basketball school when that starts happening.

we thought we had a rivalry with cincy, but really they were our rival, we were not really theirs. Xavier and loserville were…same thing with ecu, we were THEIR rival, but really we never looked forward to their game like they did.

until ateam like gw can continue its national reputation, besides us, nobody will care…we won’t have a true rival till we leave and go to the big east, or some other conferance with more nationally respected teams then we are.

we won’t have another “cincy campout night” till we leave the a10 and play a team every year that is always a top 25 program

[QUOTE=NINERcowbellplayer;139970]we thought we had a rivalry with cincy, but really they were our rival, we were not really theirs. Xavier and loserville were…same thing with ecu, we were THEIR rival, but really we never looked forward to their game like they did.

until ateam like gw can continue its national reputation, besides us, nobody will care…we won’t have a true rival till we leave and go to the big east, or some other conferance with more nationally respected teams then we are.

we won’t have another “cincy campout night” till we leave the a10 and play a team every year that is always a top 25 program[/QUOTE]

I think some Cinci fans considered us a rivalry in the making, but Louisvlle and Xavier were their big rivals. We may have been in the number 3 spot on their rival list.

Maybe Temple will hire Hugggins to replace Cheney when he finally retires.

$$$$$$ Packer$$$$$$$ dollars! lol

[QUOTE=X-49er;139897]Billy Packer needs to go back to Mr. Cash commercials[/QUOTE]

Down here Billy.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;139968]If we are going to develop real fans, they won’t care who we are playing. Just the fact that we are playing should be enough to get students out to games. We will be a real basketball school when that starts happening.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

That lesson needs to be learned by some of our “fans” that post here. I don’t know about anyone else, but I show up because of the team in green, not the other guys.

That is part of the problem with the public. Casual basketball fans are not going to Halton to see the 49ers, they’re coming (while maybe not rooting for) to see the Indianas, the GWs and in the past, the Cincys and Louisvilles.

How does the athletic department and we as fans cultivate new 49ers fans?

And NA, the sig comment from the St. Joe’s fan about lack of posts after the Wyoming loss… it certainly hasn’t been quiet, I don’t know what site he’s looking at.

[QUOTE=HP49er;140004]And NA, the sig comment from the St. Joe’s fan about lack of posts after the Wyoming loss… it certainly hasn’t been quiet, I don’t know what site he’s looking at.[/QUOTE]

We were pretty quiet on the A10 board after the Wyoming board. Thats when he said it. I’m a fan of dark humor in situations like this. I certainly wanted to put my head in the oven.

I think my comment when I exited chat that night was - "I’m gonna go take a bath in alcohol and razor blades. It’ll be less painful than this.